Dry camping in Sequoia/Kings Canyon

travelingdan

Advanced Member
Hello:

Anyone out there know of any good dry camping spots in the Sequoia/Kings Canyon area?

Dan

Hi Dan: Its interesting. Not too many folks have been down to this area, it appears. Hopefully, we can get some details on it.

Darryl

My favorite... Big Meadow (National Forest land, not in either National Park) has 5 "units" (small campgrounds, 4-10 sites each unit), no water and pit toilets, no camping fee, except to get into the National Park.

Here's my map...

Big Meadows, far right side.

SequoiaRideMapat72JPGArrow.jpg

All of those Red dashed lines are great dirt roads for dual sport motorcycles (street legal -> License plate) and jeeps or other short wheelbase 4x4's. The marked "Jeep Trail", east of Buck Rock (near Big Meadows) is pretty neat (easier on an MC than in a 4x4).

The other marked roads White (dirt) and Black or Grey (old pavement) are also neat to ride/drive on.

Here's a view of the area to the north with even more Red dashed lines.

Almost everything, if not everything, should be snow free by now.

Could be muddy on the dirt though.

SequoiaRideMapat72JPGCloeUp.jpg

It's bear country, so behave accordingly.

Enjoy.

I was there at the beginning of July and due the lots of snow last winter the gate was still closed,amazing that late in the yr.Couldn't get to Big Meadows or Buck Rock as Allen suggest.

Attachments

• DSCN0920.JPG
    DSCN0920.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 128
  • RSCN0888.JPG
    RSCN0888.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCN0837.JPG
    DSCN0837.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 130
This place looks very fun and beautiful. Been there once many years ago. Could a 4x4, 02 Tacoma with an All Terrain on it go on those 4x4 trails you mention?

Some of the "trails" and the 4x4 jeep trail east of Buck Rock a motorcycle is better, IMHO.
Photos towards the end of this message.

Most of the dirt roads I've been on would be OK.

Except where a tree might have fallen over trail last Winter and not yet been cleared (which sometimes doesn't happen for a few years).

On the regular old paved and dirt roads there are many locations where you can turn a truck of any size around.

And, I don't think boondock camping is encouraged outside of the designated camping spots (dry or otherwise), I've never seen it done.

A fair number of hunters in the area in the Fall, as well.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here's some photos from a past trip.

Typical old pavement...

SequoiaRoad2.jpg

Typical dirt roads...

SequoiaRoad1.jpg

SequoiaRoad3.jpg

RoadtoHumeLake.jpg

A few spots are like this...

DSC01695.jpg

And, this...

DSC01700.jpg

However, both of those were beyond the tree we found a few years ago...

Trail11.jpg

It would have been hard for a truck to turn around on this trail.
Kings Canyon proper is just to the right of this photo and about 1,500 down slope.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here's the Jeep or 4x4 trail, east of Buck Rock.
It was just up and down, up and down, up and down, sometimes a little better condition than this section, sometimes just a smooth granite surface.

DSC01733.jpg

So, I think you'll be OK, except on some of the smaller width trails and the 4x4 trails.
You decide.
Maybe drop the camper and have some fun on the 4x4 trails?

And, lastly... just for fun... the Happy Honda Trail Riders that I often ride with.

The low and slow, yet steep is not a problem... "go climb a tree" bunch.

Ready4.jpg

For the Ride Report, if you are interested...

Kings Canyon & Sequoia, 2009.

Here's a photo of a campsite at Unit 5, Big Meadows, before I got my ATC Bobcat.

CampView2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom