Eagle airfoil on 01 Tacoma

buckland

Site Team
I am new, just bought an Eagle for my 2001 Tacoma. Had a great first trip into the North Maine Woods. Want to make a wind foil to increase aerodynamics. I am looking for a detachable (bar roof rack design?) DIY. Have seen some but with no info. (one even suggested an air mattress inflated between truck roof and camper....hummmmm might work....)
Any and all advice appreciated.Attached also find shot of someones idea.
Dream.jpg

Attachments

• av-1996.jpg
    av-1996.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 541
I may try to build one this weekend too. I'm thinking of using clear plexiglass and a yakima roof rack and U bolts. On a 2nd gen Toyota Tundra. Has anybody used plexiglass for that? How thick?

I may try to build one this weekend too. I'm thinking of using clear plexiglass and a yakima roof rack and U bolts. On a 2nd gen Toyota Tundra. Has anybody used plexiglass for that? How thick?

What model yakima will fit a 01 Tacoma?

I used a Yakima stock wind fairing and basket for storing slim items. We had to search to find compact chairs that fit, but they do. My 2008 Hawk sat pretty tall on my 2006 Tundra AC so the wind fairing was needed. It's much quieter now.

gallery_2472_253_28465.jpg

I used a Yakima stock wind fairing and basket for storing slim items. We had to search to find compact chairs that fit, but they do. My 2008 Hawk sat pretty tall on my 2006 Tundra AC so the wind fairing was needed. It's much quieter now.

gallery_2472_253_28465.jpg

Thanks for the photo and advice.... I'd like to get just one Yakima bar rack... not sure if they make them for 2001 Tacoma. I could then fashion my own wind fairing out of fiberglass or 1/8" aluminum. Know any good sites to buy a single yakima bar for an 01? something like this (photo)

Yakima bars and accessories are modular. You will need 'towers' that are vehicle specific, which you can look up on their website.

I used plexi- don't bother unless you keep it small. I wanted mine to be as wide as the truck's roof and about 14" tall. The corners would catch the wind off the side of the truck and flap, vibrate and whistle. Extremely annoying and eventually the plexi just broke. I had even used the thickest plexi I could find, reinforced with strips of 1" wide flat steel stock, but it didn't matter. Wood, metal or fiberglass seems to be the way to go.

So, for anyone who built one using U-bolts, I guess they hold tight enough to the crossbar so the wind doesn't flip the fairing into another position?

I found a trailer wing at a yard sale. It is big but comes on and off quick. It does work well and stops all wind noise.

wing.jpg

That looks like a nice set up Bill . . . . how do you have it mounted? Yakima Rack bar? Home made system?
Richard

Here is a link to the wing I have, I paid $50 for it at a yard sale.
http://www.icondirect.com/aeroshield-classic-wd200/

Here is a link to the wing I have, I paid $50 for it at a yard sale.
http://www.icondirect.com/aeroshield-classic-wd200/

Thanks Bill - I am going to do some follow-up on this. Did you notice any diierence in MPG when you added the air foil?

I posted some info on my setup awhile back on these pages:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2443/page__st__10
&
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2443/page__st__20

Not the cheapest route, but solid, good looking, super quiet, no buffeting in really high winds of passing semis, etc. Also really glad I have a larger fairing since putting the 100 watt slide out / removable solar panel under the cabover.

A month ago, the wife and I climbed some peaks about 120 miles from home, went over two mountain passes, one at 12,000 feet, the other at 10,000. On the way home, we fueled up in a town before the passes leaving us 100 miles to go, got 21MPG with a supercharged 4.0 V6 at 50-60 MPH.

I've been thinking of putting together a fairing for the front of my 2009 Eagle on my 2004 Tacoma. Here are my thoughts so far:

1) There is quite a large gap between the cab and the bottom of the camper, since the newer models have taller cabs.

2) The large gap is wasted space, and not good aerodynamics.

3) If you mount anything to the top of the cab, you would have to remove it whenever you take the camper off, so why not attach it to the bottom of the cabover part of the camper?

4) If you attach to the cabover, you could use a box that is the max size of the space between the cab and cabover, make solid side doors that open, insulate the top (to insulate the bed area), and slant the front to create a wind deflector.

5) The box should be as light as possible, so make the frame of aluminum angle and skin it with light aluminum sheeting. If there was a place to buy FRP cheaper than aluminum skin, use that.

Right now I'm getting my suspension upgrades completed, but the next project is the aero box.

Gil

I found a trailer wing at a yard sale. It is big but comes on and off quick. It does work well and stops all wind noise.

View attachment 12518

Bill, how do you like how the trailer wing you got attaches to the truck? Is it as convenient as a roof rack attachment?

And, as Missing Link asked, is it improving mpg?

Thanks,

Herve

I've been thinking of putting together a fairing for the front of my 2009 Eagle on my 2004 Tacoma. Here are my thoughts so far:

1) There is quite a large gap between the cab and the bottom of the camper, since the newer models have taller cabs.

2) The large gap is wasted space, and not good aerodynamics.

3) If you mount anything to the top of the cab, you would have to remove it whenever you take the camper off, so why not attach it to the bottom of the cabover part of the camper?

4) If you attach to the cabover, you could use a box that is the max size of the space between the cab and cabover, make solid side doors that open, insulate the top (to insulate the bed area), and slant the front to create a wind deflector.

5) The box should be as light as possible, so make the frame of aluminum angle and skin it with light aluminum sheeting. If there was a place to buy FRP cheaper than aluminum skin, use that.

Right now I'm getting my suspension upgrades completed, but the next project is the aero box.

Gil

Some good ideas here. I quoted your post on my build thread and am thinking about modifying some of your ideas for my build.

Bill, how do you like how the trailer wing you got attaches to the truck? Is it as convenient as a roof rack attachment?

And, as Missing Link asked, is it improving mpg?

Thanks,

Herve

Roof rack is a better attachment, mine is just straps works OK just not as solid

I have a regular Hawk so a large gap above my 2005 Tundra. The wind (buffeting) noise started at 35MPH and was terrible above 50MPH. If you open a window it stops or if you put the AC on recirculate it stops, must be a pressure thing.
I did the the 4" sq plastic tube in a V under the cabover first and it made a big difference in noise, you can see it in my avatar. Still have some above 60 MPH. The wing takes it all away.

As for mileage I would as minimal looking at my scangage may be 1 MPH.

I thought about a re-design when putting the panel slide in but thought it might be a little too much weight. I rarely take the camper off since I don't really have a place to store it, but when I do remove it, the deflector comes off and goes back on in less than a couple minutes.

I know mine is larger than some might like visually but it makes a big difference.....I suppose that is the line of thinking you get into when you use your camper over 100 days a year for a living....

Bill, remember when you stopped by my camp and I was frantic over a dying battery? Well, aside from being in too shady a spot, it turned out the 100 watt panel was not very well connected so the system was only running off of the single 85 on the roof.

It kicks butt now, so much so that we just leave the fridge on 24/7 for the Summer loaded with food, drinks and ice cream bars.

Nice parking spot in Yosemite for your rig by the way, my wife and I met in that very spot on May 28th, 2010.... :)

If I added a faring/airfoil, I'd consider mounting it to the cabover. It would always be in place and no need for another removal step if you're taking the camper off the truck. I appreciate the good information and ideas posted here and in other threads. To help with the discussion, here are photos of methods of mounting that have been posted before that I have saved in my files for reference.The reenforced triangle looks to be the strongest of the two mounting supports. Kodachrome's cutaway for access to the front clasps is good and a needed design feature - as seen in his posts.

Attachments

• Faring - Custom 1.JPG
    Faring - Custom 1.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 393
  • faring - custom 2.JPG
    faring - custom 2.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 448
  • Faring Custom #6.JPG.jpg
    Faring Custom #6.JPG.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 466
  • Faring Custom #7.JPG.jpg
    Faring Custom #7.JPG.jpg