East Sierra Fall Colors

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior
We know each fall we will include a dedicated trip to the East Side to admire and photograph the fall colors. Having the camper makes it so convenient.

We only took off a Friday from work, but left Thursday evening, as is our practice. We pressed on, heading south on 395 with me straining my eyes to see if there were indeed colors out there.

We like to catch a soak at Travertine after hours, when the average Joe's have left. As usual, our favorite pool was empty and we enjoyed the soak. I brought Mr. Zodi along, half full for a post soak hot shower. We bring our Zodi into the spring and heat the fresh water contents. Our new pup, Callie was a good little dog and did not rip up our camper :eek: while we left her unattended (but with factory furnace blowing on/off.

I had a plan. The plan was to fish. I had some new beta on a spot down near Rosachi Ranch where we might boondock. It worked perfectly and we had a quiet night.

The next morning I pulled on the waders and headed down to check out the river. It was a fine, crisp fall morning.

Though I wanted to throw a dry fly, I knew the better route was to use a larger streamer or nymph. Turning over a few rocks I saw large stone flies in abundance. So, I tied on a large #10 or bigger prince nymph and was immediately rewarded with a 12" 'bow. And so it went, for the next two hours.

Funny story. I got back to the camper and went to stow my fishing gear. I realized my wet fly box was missing from my vest! We're talking about sixty to eighty flies here! :eek:
Damn! I told SR I had to go back and look. I remembered tying up a double fly rig while sitting on a memorable rock along the river. Maybe there???

Walking back I realized I had covered at least half a mile of river and there were lot's of nooks. I bushwacked along the river, frustrated I couldn't directly access the river. Then finally a cow trail busted through and I pressed on to gain the river, approximately midpoint to my fishing route. Directly across the river, I could see the fly box sitting right there! Yes!!! I found my flies. Serendipity.

We tried following a route back to Bodie that I had looked up on Google Map. After steep four-wheel-low for too many miles and tight trees we decided to turn back. Our route to Masonic was not for this trip. Hard to turn back, but I did it after only one third the route. Besides that, we had a date to meet the Ted's, and later MarkBC and Ski3Pins. But first we had to return back to visit Upper Summer Meadows :D

I wished I had filled up in Minden, NV. Gas in Bridgeport was $5.49 :oops: so I only picked up ten gallons. We supported the local economy and went into Ken's Sporting Goods. I bought a leech and sculpin pattern for future E. Walker fishing adventures. The locals chatted behind the counter with a rancher about the value of coyote pelts and what gauge buckshot he had ready for the bear tonight.

The courthouse looks great as always.

Refueled we quickly ran up to Green Creek. It was a friday, the weather was fine, and I looked up the road to see four carloads of (likely stinkin' photogs) heading up the road. I quickly made an evasive turn onto Summer Mdws Rd., where we had camped and explored previous years.

The streams are really low this year.

The colors bring us back, year after year.

Even the dog liked it.

The afternoon was warm as the light turned golden.

We found a double track into a meadow, where we parked and wandered.

The scenery was postcard perfect.

Apparently in the eighties a sheepherder from Peru spent some time in these meadows. We've seen his cabin too. He loves the blondes. :rolleyes:

It was pushing five o'clock and time to find Ted's Camp

A quick run along Dunderburg Rd. took us closer. Susan used our new GPS Nexus tablet to tell me we were only three miles away. I wanted to get there in time to catch sunset over Mono Lake.

Dunderberg Creek drainage had already peaked.

Would we make it?

to be continued . . .

Beautiful photos Andy.We always tell ourselves when we go out of the area on an extended trip and return just how special our Sierra's are.It's almost like saying "why do we go any place else"but it's great to see new vistas know matter where or in the camper or car.

Nice looking fish.I know the feeling about leaving gear and walking away.Glad you found it.I always think ,when I am in my float tube about losing my bamboo rod but I keep a leash on it,saves jumping in after it.Of course can't do that from a tube.

Frank

I second Frank's comment about the beauty of this area. As a midwesterner, I am pretty jealous that you guys have all this in your backyard. Thanks for letting me see it through your eyes and camera.

We rolled into Ted's Camp as the shadow of twelve-thousand-foot Dunderberg's summit marched across the Mono Lake basin. MarkBC had also arrived, so both rigs were looking good with a nice view of Bridgeport Valley.

Mono Lake lay to the east.

Strange noises presaged the arrival of the Ski3pins. Had aliens put down landing lights?

Soon all were popped up and social hour around the campfire was enjoyed. Old friends and new, circled around the fire, sharing stories; ancient patterns pleasing to all.

I attempted one round of sequential star tracks, but found out after midnight that the focus was off. So, I refocused and reset my timer to capture this compo of 20 five min. exposures:

Magellan had mentioned Orionid meteors and I did see one or two, but nothing was recorded.

Soon enough dawn was approaching. The mild temps and photo ops motivated me to break my usual sleep patterns and I actually beat the Ski3pins out of the camper! This will probably never happen again.

Dawn brought every one out. It was magnificent.

Ski climbing the lateral moraine in pursuit of photos.

We had a post breakfast powwow and it was agreed to follow Magellan's suggestion and visit Log Cabin Mine, near Lee Vining. The Ted's, the Ski's and the Lighthawk's all went on tour. MarkBC decided to take the day and do some local hikes and keep an eye on things.

To be continued . . .

It was a two thousand foot climb from the bottom of Lee Vining Canyon to the Log Cabin Mine.

The climb leveled out and we entered a section of wild rose, all turned red and pink with young aspens. Suddenly upcanyon views of the Dana Plateau framed the horizon with high Sierra granite. There's a fine route up there called Third Pillar, which I desire.

We passed through a nature preserve including a collection of restored buildings called Burger's. The aspens were in their glory and we were there to take it in.

tbc . . .

We enjoyed our tour of the Log Cabin Mine. It's remarkably well preserved, considering it's been inactive since the 1950's.

I wonder what this machine accomplished?

There was a sense of a place where people have just abandoned their lively hood.

And then there was Magellan, who had given us the guidance to find this special place. :D

Nice shots Lighthawk. Those dusk shots looking out of Mono Lake are really sweet. I think I could see the 3rd Pillar of Dana peeking out above the middle distance in your Dana plateau shot. Been on my list for years also.
Cheers - Craggy

Eventually most of us found our way back to the original Log Cabin (circa 1910).
A fine collection of likely suspects. ;)

On our way out we checked out the nearby vista of Mono Lake. High winds had been promising for the last 24 hours. Standing on the edge of the drop, you could feel the Venturi effect accelerating the wind velocity.

The colors just got better as the afternoon light began to mellow.

After visiting the Log Cabin Mine, we detoured to visit Lee Vining Canyon.

The campgrounds were nearly full on this warm October weekend. The campground road, below 120 (Tioga Pass) was crowded with admirers of the colors. I did see a few must-stop photo ops and took my turn with a tripod.

We found a sunspot in the meadow along the creek and picnicked. Life was good. Then a couple came along with two large dogs, and I felt protective of our puppy. I also had my camera on a tripod and had been enjoying some photography. The dogs were large, but not aggressive. The owner's were several minutes behind them, unaware of what was going on. Having a pup has made me sensitive, but I have always felt your dog should be under your control.

The shadows were lengthening. Ted had let us know there was to be a Happy Hour in camp, and who would miss that? :oops:

I drove up and asked for Drive Thru Service :LOL:

Magellan had done himself to a Tee. The full Monty: Dress shirt, slacks, wingtips, and a TIE! With full service of shrimp cocktails and champagne. And at 9,000', those bubble do go cerebral! :oops:

What a great trip report. Love the star trails, of course. I'm also glad to see some evidence of the landing lights - didn't quite know what to believe
smile.gif

Agree with you 100 percent that owners should control their dogs on the trails. I wish I could let Katie run loose, but I know she would be a nuisance to wildlife (and possibly other dogs).

Quite an epic series of fall color posts from you Andy as well as the 3pinners and MarkBC. Dare I say maybe some of the best photos I've seen on WTW?? You guys are good.

Andy I am sure this trip will be remembered for a long time for you all who were there and us here viewing the great photos.
Thanks again to the Ted's,Ski's and the Lighthawks for a fantastic journey
Frank.

Nice stuff, Andy.
The ability to do EASY star-trail photos in film-photography is the one thing I miss about it, used to do it all the time... I know that the stacked-composite approach, as you did in your photo here, is the way to do it digitally, but I haven't tried that yet.
BUT...Central/Eastern Oregon has a long winter of long, dark, nights, so it'll be a good project for me to play with over the next few months.

Thanks Mark.
I have only recently begun to experiment with stacking star tracks; inspired by an article: Art in Nature
Good Photoshop specific instructions. There's a level of artistry with light painting, mixing dawn/dusk with night, that creates unique perspectives. Good stuff to know.

It helps to have live view on your camera, though not necessary, and a timer. I use a Canon TC-80N After that, you need an image processor that will allow for layers, i.e. Photoshop. Otherwise, I use LightRoom for most everything else.

Andy

Dandy as always Andy. Enjoyed your writeup and images. Would have been a hoot being down there. In the Mono Lake V-center they have a movie that they show on the mine you went to visit.

Nice fall colors. I spend more time taking photos than hunting when I happen to draw a tag in Bridgeport area. i have walked hundreds of miles in those mountains and never get tired of the area. May run into you up there some time. My brother owns the Ruby Inn in town so we camp there often and fish all over the area. I have a 17lb German Brown mounted that I caught in Robinson Creek in the pasture by the reservoir. Kayaked in and hiked the creek.

Can't wait for Fall to come and see all that neat stuff again. Unfortunately, have to survive this long dark winter and the mud of spring and the heat of summer, then fall will come. Gee, there sure is allot of adventuring to do until Fall comes, thanks Andy for reminding me there will be light at the end of this tunnel! Maybe it's time to go look for wolf OR-7 and see how he is doing! Yep, it's been dark too here Mark, but it's sunny and in the 40's here today!

Smoke

Great report and photos. I like the fact that your photos aren't HDR nor overly post-processed to give a more poppy look. They look like old color film prints. I miss those days spent in darkrooms.

That is beautiful country up there. Been once but want to get back. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom