Eastern Frontier of WTW

iowahiker

The picture below reports the current status of the eastern frontier of WTW, the Mississippi River, between Iowa and Wisconsin. We went snow shoeing at Pikes Peak SP in northeast Iowa and took a couple of pictures. The first picture has the Wisconsin River delta at the Mississippi. The rivers normally freeze across every winter here and barge navigation ends in early December. Animals cross the ice but nothing else since the swift current and many springs make the ice dangerous. The snow shoeing at Pikes Peak SP is excellent with several winter views of the frozen Mississippi.

gallery_5179_728_93102.jpg

This second picture looks north from Pikes Peak with the town of Prairie du Chien on the opposite bank. The main Mississippi channel is on the left side and the many backwaters right of the channel are popular for ice fishing.

gallery_5179_728_154717.jpg

I could not resist showing one squirrel picture. The snow is over 20 inches deep and the squirrels have a tunnel system to reach Bitter Nut Hickory nuts (cousin to the Pecan, not a true hickory) laying in the grass. The frozen ground is too hard to dig up buried acorns. The squirrels popup from a variety of holes to check for the local fox and disappear just like the mole game.

gallery_5179_728_508405.jpg

Hey-what's that white stuff called :giggle: ? I seem to remember something that looked like that :giggle: -----that used to be here in the winter time :p ! Now it rains instead :oops: ! It looks like the eastern frontier is doing well , it's cold and windy here in NE California, so time for another vodka, another log on the fire and some curling on tv :D !

Smoke

I decided to append this thread since this was a minor trip. We drove 80 miles north along the Mississippi River this weekend to hike at Perrot SP in Wisconsin where this picture was taken looking north from the park's high point. The Mississippi is in normal spring flood which is about seven feet above a normal level. The island in the foreground is Mt Trempealeau and the city in the distance is Winona, Minnesota. The Trempealeau NWR is on the right as is the Trempealeau River.

gallery_5179_728_205358.jpg

While completing our hiking loop along the River Trail, we spotted these dozens of river turtles sunning together in a Mississippi backwater pool.

gallery_5179_728_1894380.jpg

And a link to a closer view of a single turtle:

full

While cutting firewood in our home woods this week, we found a cluster of five Lady-Slippers which are orchids. We have had Lady-Slippers in our woods but rarely and they are the most unusual flower we have seen in Iowa so far.

gallery_5179_728_1527662.jpg

This link has a closer view:

full

Yep, spring is busting out all over. Tomorrow I am heading up to Voyageurs National Park for an early 10-day boat/camping/fishing expedition. Since Rainy Lake was reported to be "90% ice free" last week, I don't know exactly what we will run into as far as spring goes there. It's been a crazy year so far. Thanks for posting the photos.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom