Eastern Nevada Ideas

DrJ

I am trying to plan a camping trip to Eastern Nevada and wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions.

We are looking at Cathedral Gorge State Park or Great Basin National Park.
I've been to Cathedral before and it is a decent place to stay - especially for kids to explore.
It's actually where my avatar picture is at!

I am traveling with the kids and we only have 3-4 days for a trip.
We are planning on the trip later this month (March).

I am trying to meet up with fellow popup truck campers from Salt Lake City and Las Vegas. I'm from Southern Idaho, so we are trying to pick a spot sort of between us.

We wouldn't mind a spot with some ATV trails too.

Any good suggestions?

Great Basin National Park is awesome and if they still have it, go to their night star show. They bring out a few very powerful telescopes and give a very good presentation.

Cave Lake State Park http://parks.nv.gov/parks/cave-lake-state-park/ is nearby and has some excellent fishing/camping facilities and finally, the Berlin Ichthyosaur State Park in close enough for a side trip if you're in the area http://parks.nv.gov/parks/bi/

Have fun!

If you've never been, consider the Ruby Mountains near Elko, especially the Lamoille Canyon area . . . . breathtaking! A bit far for your Las Vegas friends, but worth the trip. Known as the" Nevada Alps." - Richard

I would second Cave Lake SP. Might want to call to make sure facilities are open, and late March weather may/will be a factor. Ely is worth visiting and seeing if the RR museum is open (have train rides...and maybe the steam engine is running). Ward Charcoal Ovens SP is a nice side-trip (Nice newer campground there...but I not much for kids to do). Cleve Creek campground just got some $$ invested and if you want to be away from everything...a good spot, with a creek to play in. Every time I have been there had it to myself (but only two good camp spots IMHO). All over this area are a lot of roads to explore on ATV's. GB NP will frown on your ATV's and is high in elevation...so not sure what is open to explore.

I like Cathedral SP, made a mistake staying at Spring Valley SP last fall....A zoo...should have stayed at Echo Canyon or Cathedral. Tell your friends from Vegas to make a stop by Kershaw Ryan State Park (outside Caliente). Reopened and has a very nice day use area with wading pool and gardens (Has nice CG also)...I never stopped by there before and was very surprised. Nice place to stop for a few hours and eat lunch. The Park Ranger there is very friendly as well.

When you have more time, Berlin-Ichthysosaur SP is a must (I think tours start in May with ghost town and dinosaur building...great for kids), and Berlin is one of the few SP that really supports ATV and Dirt Bikers to stay there--as long as you obey the rules and do not disturb your fellow campers (nice valley views from campground also). Same trip you can check out Kingston Canyon USFS campground (fishing-ghost towns...ATV/Dirt Bike Riding).

Dependent on who I go with, I sometimes take my dirt bike for exploring and save wear and tear on my truck and FWC. But getting older and phatter... and may need something with a cage...or stick closer to base camps and roads.

Have fun, great area. -Michael

Great Basin N.P. is one of my favorite places -- even in the dead of winter.

But for most people it's best when the road up to Wheeler Peak C.G. (at 10,000 feet) is open. Besides camping up there, there's access to the bristlecone pine grove and cool views, etc. And I don't think the road is usually open until late spring.

On the other hand, Lehman Caves, at the GBNP visitor center, is open year round.

A call to GBNP will tell you the status of the roads.

These are some great suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to help out!
Please post any other ideas if you have them - but this has given me a great starting place.

Rainbow Canyon south of Caliente. It is paved but has had some washouts but it has to be repaired due to train traffic folks repairing trains or tracks. What is cool is watching the trains come out of the rock tunnels. Engineers are friendly and wave. Keyshawn-Ryan state park is nearby. Also, there is the Elgin Schoolhouse which was closed when we were there but I think you can call for someone to come out? Very few people. BLM station in Caliente has some helpful folks. The receptionist is an avid ORVer. Nearby is Delamar ghost town suitable for ORV. Don't ask how we know.

Ditto Ruby Mountains, Lamoille Canyon and Great Basin.

Oh, Pioche for Boot Hill and the cool old courthouse that has a medieval-looking jail. It is close to Cathedral Velley. Also, Delamar has a cemetary that we camped next to. After the cemetary, the road gets a bit gnarly for full size pickups but ORVs would be great.
And, ditto on Berlin-Ischysarus State Park. Kids would love the ghost town and the on duty ranger gave us a great tour of the fossil beds.

Back
Top Bottom