Eastern Oregon John Day trip ideas?

nixfwc

At the end of June I am heading up to the John Day River in Oregon for a 6 day raft trip and would like to know of places to camp along the way. I am going to go up through Lake View and Prineville to Clarno where we put in. We will take 3 days to get to Clarno and great back country stop overs would be appreciated. Anybody know this country and willing to share good camp areas?

I've spent a lot of time in the area but I'm not sure I know a lot of backcountry camping spots. I spent 6 weeks in that area camping at the OSU field camp. The Painted Hills Unit of the John Day National Monument is pretty neat. The ochoco Mountains South of Mitchell (East of Prineville) have a lot of places to camp but I'm not sure there are many places that are going to really knock your socks off in terms of terrain in that area.

However I do have one suggestion for the Ochocos - if you like to hike the Independent Mine trail to Lookout Mtn is a really great hike with a lot to see and this is the best time of the year to do it.

Actually now that I type this I seem to remember that there is a good little primitive campground on the road to Paint Hills Unit of the Fossil Beds.

And of course you can always check to see if I'm home as you drive through Bend and I'll buy you a brewskit :)

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately we have had to call off the raft trip as there is not going to be enough water in the John Day without dragging rafts over gravel bars frequently. So we are now looking at the lower Cascades for a week camping. Anyone have any quiet secluded lakes they would like share with me? Or any other great spots away from the maddening crowd in the Cascade area. Need solitude. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom