eastern oregon/western idaho in early spring?

road trip by nature

Hi I'm hoping for some trip planning advice. We're doing a big road trip with our kids starting in a few days - from BC down to southern Utah (this section we've done before) then exploring into Arizona and back north through Nevada, through Oregon then home via northern Idaho to BC. Hoping for suggestions of places to check out in eastern Oregon or maybe western Idaho as that area is new to us. Saw some photos and trip reports of the Owyhee canyonlands and it looks really cool, have been told that side roads may be iffy in early April which is when we would be there but still worth a visit. Not sure where to head once we leave there heading northwards.

Looking for: scenic drives, good areas to find camping options where the kids can run around and explore, wildlife, easy to moderate hikes, interesting geology and plant life. We're pretty self sufficient so prefer to be on our own for camping but developed campgrounds ok if they are smaller and not too busy.

Have swapped in a newer truck but we're running basically the same setup as the photo below with an ATC Ocelot. Not afraid of chilly nights but no interest in getting stuck in the snow somewhere as we will be on our own with 2 kiddos.

Didn't want to cast my net too broadly but also open to suggestions in Nevada for on the way to Owyhee.

Thank you for any tips!!

278442943_10166098534985504_6917751383336522560_n.jpg

Since you know roads can be slick if wet, I’d say check with BLM for conditions before you venture into the Owyhee back county. You should also consider Malheur NWR and the lower areas of Steens Mountain. Hart Mt Antelopel Wildlife Refuge might be possible, and I’m pretty sure the Sheldon Antelope Refuge just over the border in Nevada will have some explorable areas. The east side of the Steens along the Alvord Desert is another, but if the playa is wet, don’t go onto it.

Out here in NE Oregon snow will still be in high country and many roads impassible until late May, but check them and perhaps early thaw is possible....Great Basin NP in Nevada, go to the top if open, great campground just below the peak....Stanley and Sawtooths in Idaho; will not disappoint ....

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Since you know roads can be slick if wet, I’d say check with BLM for conditions before you venture into the Owyhee back county. You should also consider Malheur NWR and the lower areas of Steens Mountain. Hart Mt Antelopel Wildlife Refuge might be possible, and I’m pretty sure the Sheldon Antelope Refuge just over the border in Nevada will have some explorable areas. The east side of the Steens along the Alvord Desert is another, but if the playa is wet, don’t go onto it.
Good tips thank you! Steens look beautiful and I had the Alvord desert on my list too including hotsprings maybe...Fingers crossed things dry out a bit! Looks like this trip might be more wintery than when we've travelled at this time in previous years.

Watch the non-paved roads out here-especially this year with such a wet winter and spring so far. Be sure to check with the land management agencies where ever you go so you don't become a statistic!

Smoke

I second Wandering Sagebrush's suggestions. This looks to be a wet spring so anything other than main roads might be a bit sketchy for awhile. The main roads in the Owyhee that take you to Succor Crk or Leslie Gulch should be fine and plenty of exploring just in those areas. Side canyons off of Leslie Gulch are well worth hiking. Steens eastside is spectacular but might be a bit wet for getting off of the main eastside road. There is now a developed campground at the Alvord Hot Springs but most people are pretty disappointed in the way this is being managed.
Can't go wrong with both Malheur, Hart and Sheldon Wildlife Refuges but camping is limited at both to designated CGs.

CraggyMan said:
I second Wandering Sagebrush's suggestions. This looks to be a wet spring so anything other than main roads might be a bit sketchy for awhile. The main roads in the Owyhee that take you to Succor Crk or Leslie Gulch should be fine and plenty of exploring just in those areas. Side canyons off of Leslie Gulch are well worth hiking. Steens eastside is spectacular but might be a bit wet for getting off of the main eastside road. There is now a developed campground at the Alvord Hot Springs but most people are pretty disappointed in the way this is being managed.
Can't go wrong with both Malheur, Hart and Sheldon Wildlife Refuges but camping is limited at both to designated CGs.
There is also a free primitive campground at Mann Lake, north of the Alvord. There is a boat ramp, and pit toilet. The lake is/was(?) stocked with Lahontan Cutthroat trout, but goldfish used for bait may be back. Pheasant tail nymphs with brass bead head was what we used some years ago. Do not drive into any mud puddles, we sank a Suburban up to the fame many years ago.

Another trip might be the Whitehorse Ranch Rd out past the clump of mud that was once a Pony Express station, and Willow Crk Hot springs. It will take you from south of Fields to Hwy 95, where you can go to Jordan Valley, then up the east side of the Owyhee to the road to Leslie Gulch, and Succor Creek.

You might even be able to get over to the old mining town of Silver City, Idaho. There is a small CG that opens after Memorial Day.

There is an awful lot of snow in Idaho this year, some roads are going to be iffy for a while. Stanley and the Sawtooths are nice, but no way the snow will be gone by early April. The Owyhee area is nice and should be good, check with BLM for accurate road conditions. Maybe also look at Bruneau Dunes, Hagerman Fossil Beds, City of Rocks, Craters of the Moon, Hells Canyon, Snake River Canyon, and various hot springs near Buhl.

Good advice....late rain/snow has many off road options limited or closed...Mann Lake 'was' a cool place to camp on back side, but last time we drove past is was dry and cattle were on it....couple of years ago, this year might be different..plus it is a long drive from Field unless you are going North anyway...Steen's loop is well worth the effort if open...view of Alvord is a million dollar view..Whitehorse Road is a great drive W to E from Alvord, but we found the Willow Crk HS to be a mud hole and water not really hot..

We live almost on top of Hells Cyn and honestly the only way to really see the cyn is by drift boat from dam to Grand Ronde confluence...Snake/Hells Cyn is touted as deepest cyn but only because the 7 Devil Peaks are on eastside....want to see a truly Grand Cyn go to AZ...however we just found out Tuweep road is closed until 4/10 and backcountry ranger said most roads on North Rim are mud/snow...

Driving across Crates of the Moon is a special trip...worth the time and there is dispersed campsites [check "Free Camping"]..Roads to and from Stanley will be opened most of the time cuz it is a main route, paved, but can get weathered in for brief times...Red Lake is spectacular but road in will probably be closed with snow...seeing the Sawtooths from Stanley is breathtaking...snow would only accent them...

Unusual Spring...off roading until perhaps June out here will be sketchy due to mud....or road closures.

Looking at snow pack information, I don’t believe the entire loop will be open until mid to late July… it’s often closed right at the junction to Steens Peak. That said, there is outstanding spring skiing along the route. If you have a little extra testosterone, drop over the east rim just north of the summit parking lot.

Another thought, with the amount of water content, the river is going to be blown out in hot weather. The Page Springs campground has flooded in past years.

94742CEB-FE39-48EC-89A6-DD9884606EFC.png

Roger that on flooding during a rapid melt..

Hey, next season if you keep me in the loop, I would be game skiing off summit to the East....can you get all the way to be picked up at the Alvord Road? Skinning back up is beyond my age class!

Page Springs CG when open is great Frenchglen Hotel has some outstanding communal meals...need reservations.

Phil, after five surgeries on the right knee, I’ve given it up. I’ve not heard of anyone skiing to the Alvord road, but I’m sure someone has. I do know that Ned Gillette made a winter east to west traverse, probably in the 80s. That trip was documented in Paul Parker’s Free Heel Skiing. As an aside, Gillette solo paddled a 20’ Necky Nootka double kayak from Monterey, California to Maui. He was eating toothpaste at the end. There is a Tonight Show appearance on YouTube.

The area that we skied was a simple snowfield that dumped you on the rocks if you went too far. Herringbone or kick steps was all that was needed. Total skiable distance was about 200 yards. The west side had wonderful tele cruising. I’m pretty sure that was an early August ski.

John and Twila set a fine table at the Hotel, and I’m told David Thompson at the Hotel Diamond does as well.

I took a camping trip this summer in my '62 Corvette and was going to stop at Diamond, but opted for French Glen for a dinner....spent 10 days in Southern Oregon and Northern Nevada....got strange looks when pitching my tent next to '62....but then again, I am strange..

I know of Parkers work and like Ned, but never at that level, I paddled my 17 kayak from Juneau to Peterburg in '90 including Tracy Arm...solo like Ned but inside passage and not open ocean....his are definitely bigger than mine!

Now charged to give Steens a try next winter! Well as much as I can handle and reach...thanks for tips. Will stop at Diamond if they are open then.....

Phil

The Frenchglen Hotel closes after hunting season, then reopens in the spring for all the birders. I have no info on Hotel Diamond. Mark and Debbie may keep Steens Mountain Resort open, and Page Springs is open. The North Gate is closed to the general public, but inholders do have access. You can probably get in a few miles on the south end, but not sure how far. I suspect the firs gate will be closed. After that, it’s a long slog uphill

I'm headed out that area next week for some fly fishing if the weather holds. I can try to report on roads, etc.

I've camped at Page Springs and it's nice but as others have stated, it's been a very wet winter in Boise and around here so I suspect the same over there near where you want to go. In fact, the trip next week is with a guy who does Grouse counts and he said the backcountry roads aren't very good right now but he does go in places most of us don't go. In fact, I met him on a backcountry road and he had just spent 5 hrs digging out from being stuck.

Big thanks to everyone who replied. I'm searching up some of these place names that I haven't heard of before. Sounds like a drive in to Leslie Gulch is still doable and we could explore from there on foot. Heck maybe with the weather not so nice we'll have less competition for camping spots. Plus hotsprings would be great no matter the weather. Looking at Crane Hotsprings as I think the kids would like the big pool. Will have to return for a fall trip to properly see the steens, photos look amazing.
I've got the numbers for various BLM offices so will check for updated conditions en route.

the john day fossill beds, and painted hills might be of interest. the kids, and you, might like the palentology center at the fossil beds - its very interesting, and they often have staff working on bringing out fossils from their stone enclosures, with things like dental instruments. also good for day hikes.

Don’t want to scare you off from Page Springs CG (it is indeed, very nice) but if it’s going to be wetter than usual bring plenty of DEET or your favorite mosquito repellant flavor. We were there mid-July during a normal year and those blood suckers were ravenous. I’ve never seen such large swarms trying to eat their way through screen doors.

Mighty Dodge Ram said:
Don’t want to scare you off from Page Springs CG (it is indeed, very nice) but if it’s going to be wetter than usual bring plenty of DEET or your favorite mosquito repellant flavor. We were there mid-July during a normal year and those blood suckers were ravenous. I’ve never seen such large swarms trying to eat their way through screen doors.
Another endorsement for lots of bug dope. Usually by the end of July, mosquito numbers are such that you only have to slather up mornings and evenings, but be prepared.

Page Springs is a great CG...just as you enter to the left side next to creek those front sites have a rock wall next to them just across the stream...look for nesting Great Horned Owls on that wall....early morning and evening listen for their 4 part 'hoots'...beautiful place.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom