Eastern Sierra ~ Mammoth Area trip next week.

K6ON

Old & Soft
Marc (fireproof) and myself are headed to Mammoth area next Monday for a week of playing and camping. Laurel Lakes is first on the list, then who knows. We'll be meeting at noon Monday the 17th at the Mammoth visitor center and heading out from there. Anyone wishing to come along is most welcome.
Throw a sleeping bag in that camper and head on up....

I wish I knew what my schedule would be like for next weekend. I might even have my new bumper by then. Oops, was gonna keep that one a secret.

This is the best time of year to head for Devils Postpile.

Normally, you can only drive the road in or out, before the shuttles start to run, and after they finish each day.

However, the shuttle stops running on September 5, this year. Once that happens you can drive the road in & out at any time of day until the road is closed for winter. The campgrounds are still open until September 30th, and there is no boondocking camping allowed near Devils Postpile. After Sept 30, no more camping anywhere, just day trips and all vehicles are booted out of the area just before sunset.

The time between the shuttle stopping and the road closure for Winter is a very neat time, usually... hardly any people present.

Trail & Road Conditions - Devils Postpile Area (& others)

Hours of Operation.

Hope you can get the chance to make into there.

Wow! Mammoth for a week! Sounds like a great time! Hope you guys are bringing your bikes and fishing poles. Wish I could join in the fun! :cool:

This is the best time of year to head for Devils Postpile.

Normally, you can only drive the road in or out, before the shuttles start to run, and after they finish each day.

However, the shuttle stops running on September 5, this year. Once that happens you can drive the road in & out at any time of day until the road is closed for winter. The campgrounds are still open until September 30th, and there is no boondocking camping allowed near Devils Postpile. After Sept 30, no more camping anywhere, just day trips and all vehicles are booted out of the area just before sunset.

The time between the shuttle stopping and the road closure for Winter is a very neat time, usually... hardly any people present.

Trail & Road Conditions - Devils Postpile Area (& others)

Hours of Operation.

Hope you can get the chance to make into there.

Thanks for the info, was at the "Postpile" last year during the regular season. Might be nice without all the people.

Thanks Bob...I had comms with Marc yesterday, unfortunately I'm just beginning 6-8 weeks of rehab from bicep and shoulder surgery. Would have loved to join you guys. Post some pics to rub it in!

Thanks Bob...I had comms with Marc yesterday, unfortunately I'm just beginning 6-8 weeks of rehab from bicep and shoulder surgery. Would have loved to join you guys. Post some pics to rub it in!

Sunni, you'll be missed. Sorry about the surgery. Get well soon so you can join us next time..

Will post pics.

If you go to Devil's Postpile, say "HI" to one of my best friends. She's law enforcement ranger there: Nina Weisman.

Will do Gene...

I'll be interested in hearing a report on the fall color, foliage-turning (if any) in that area. :)
I'm planning to head down that way the first or second week in October.

MarkBC,

Got home this afternoon. The colors are just stating to turn in the high elevations. We drove home via 395 up to 89, then 88 through Hope Valley. Colors are starting to turn in Hope. I'm planning a photo trip through Hope Valley after the first. The attached photo was taken at about 8500' on the way up to Laurel lakes out of Mammoth, some color starting. I think your dates will work perfect.

Attachments

• lauurel.jpg
    lauurel.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 107
MarkBC,

Got home this afternoon. The colors are just stating to turn in the high elevations. We drove home via 395 up to 89, then 88 through Hope Valley. Colors are starting to turn in Hope. I'm planning a photo trip through Hope Valley after the first. The attached photo was taken at about 8500' on the way up to Laurel lakes out of Mammoth, some color starting. I think your dates will work perfect.

Thanks, Bob.
My unofficial plan is to head down that way the week of October 8...wander around for maybe two weeks. If the color cooperates, even better. :)

Thanks Bob...weird to see a Gradby on the back of Marc's rig...talk about full circle! Marc....post 'em up amigo.

Grandby? So the XP wasn't a chick magnet...'er what? Seems like there should be a story here.... :rolleyes:

Thanks Bob...weird to see a Gradby on the back of Marc's rig...talk about full circle! Marc....post 'em up amigo.

Marc's still on the road, think till Sunday. Was weird to see him driving a Dodge instead of a Ford.
I'll try to get more pictures up tomorrow, busy all day today..

I was up in Bishop for the Millpond Music Festival this weekend and crossed over both Tioga and Sonora Pass to do it. The Aspens at the Bishop end are barely changing, but up near Bridgeport they are about halfway changed already. I think next weekend should be just about perfect.

Back
Top Bottom