Eastern Sierra Prehistory

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
I've enjoyed this website from CSUS -

Eastern Sierra Prehistory

Unfortunately many of the links were not completed but I find this an interesting overview. Also of interest - since there is much talk of our current drought - is this quote:

"Environmental conditions fluctuated early on. This is clearly shown by the water levels of Owens Lake, near Lone Pine and treelines in the White Mountains. The late Pleistocene period (12,000-10,000 years BP) was cooler and moister than today and had more extensive streams, lakes, and wetland habitats. Climate became gradually warmer and drier during the next 3500 years, reaching its peak between 6500-3500 BP. Higher temperatures and reduced water led to the disappearance of Owens Lake itself. After such a prolonged drought, climate of the Eastern Sierra began to look more modern. The last 3500 years had several short-term shifts between warmer/drier and cooler/moister conditions. Native populations living in the region had to deal with these sometimes dramatic shifts in environmental conditions."

So it's possible the current drought may last just 3000 or so more years... :eek: ;)

That thought aside, a very interesting site. :)

Very interesting work here. I thought the adaptation during historical times was especially something we can see in our travels.

Frank, after a cold November, winter has been relatively mild (high was 36°F today). We are short of snow just like you guys. Depending how you look at it, it has been a fine or lousy winter. I am of mixed mind. :)

Back
Top Bottom