Eastern Sierras Fall colors

Ted

Magellan
Site Team
For anyone planning to go to the eastern Sierras for Fall color this year, it is looking like they will peak earlier than normal. Typically we go over about mid-October and that has worked pretty well. It is looking like the peak this year will be late September to early October. You can get updated reports on this website: http://www.californiafallcolor.com/

Wow -- early!
Hmmm.... I may miss its maximum glory. Oh well, easy come, easy go. Last year wasn't as good as 2011, and I nevertheless enjoyed the area last year.
And thanks for the link, Ted. :)

Thanks Ted, I'm heading over to June Lake area Sunday for a week of fishing and will scout it out. Was planning second week in Oct for colors, may re-think that after next week.

Ted thanks for the reminder. There has been years that it has been ealier. Like Oct 2 2007.

Attachments

• 071006PP1_038A.jpg
    071006PP1_038A.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 123
Patrick - I don't want to hi jack this thread but I have not seen you psoting lately and have a question for you. Several years ago you sold your tricked out truck and camper and bought a Forerunner and Casita Trailer . . . . how do you like the trailer? It is something we are thinking about for the future. - Richard

No worries.
[SIZE=10.5pt]I still on occasion visit this site but my time is torn from many directions. We like it very much and as a tool it has it’s pros and cons. If the earth was perfect we would have a FWC and a trailer. We have put a roof top tent on the 4runner for quick get a ways, but it does not have all the perks as a FWC did. The trailer is a great base camp and can use all the perks (shower, toilet, etc..) As in my fashion and style the trailer has BFG All-Terrains and have on numerous times deflated to 20 psi to drag it along to some awesome places. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Bottom line still loving it but also missing the freedom of the FWC.[/SIZE]

Attachments

• 101003_PP7365.jpg
    101003_PP7365.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 95
The bigleaf maples just below us are starting to turn. On a drive just a couple miles to the south of us revealed many dogwoods that are turning red. The aspen in our front yard are still green. The peach trees are starting to drop yellow leaves. It all seems early.

pvstoy- that is a beautiful picture!

Here in Minnesota some trees are starting to turn- very early. Odd because everything else about summer seems to have been delayed. Our chokeberry bushes just ripened their berries- very late. But the winterberries and snowberries are well along. Just a strange year.

Just got home from a week on the east side. Went 89 over Monitor Pass, some yellow on the way in Hope Valley, spent a couple days on June Lake Loop (in the 40mph winds!), a quick trip down to Mammoth, a couple days in the Bodie Hills/Aurora Canyon area, and a couple days in the Green Creek area above Bridgeport. There is early yellow above 8000 feet on Monitor Pass, virtually no color along 395 from Topaz to Mammoth. Some early yellow high above June Lake, and a bit up high in the Bodie Hills. That's it as of this week. I'll be heading back mid October, colors should be great by then.

Good update, Bob. It sounds like it isn't coming quite as early as predicted. As a side note, you hit a lot of the prime spots on this trip. Sounds like a great time. Sigh. 11 more years before I can be one of you retired types.

pvstoy said:
No worries.
[SIZE=10.5pt]I still on occasion visit this site but my time is torn from many directions. We like it very much and as a tool it has it’s pros and cons. If the earth was perfect we would have a FWC and a trailer. We have put a roof top tent on the 4runner for quick get a ways, but it does not have all the perks as a FWC did. The trailer is a great base camp and can use all the perks (shower, toilet, etc..) As in my fashion and style the trailer has BFG All-Terrains and have on numerous times deflated to 20 psi to drag it along to some awesome places. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Bottom line still loving it but also missing the freedom of the FWC.[/SIZE]
Thanks Patrick; that is sort of what I thought you would say.

Some of leaves just turned colors,,, white!! They even shut down Sonora pass on the way down Saturday night. In the 2 days I was down there the leaves up high did get some more color around the Bridgeport area. I wonder if the cold and rain/snow will accelerate the turning of colors. It looks like more weather on the way.

Wu Wei said:
...They even shut down Sonora pass on the way down Saturday night....
Hmmm....I wonder if this is "for the season"?
In two weeks I need to drive from Modesto to the east side of the Sierras. :unsure:

MarkBC said:
Hmmm....I wonder if this is "for the season"?
In two weeks I need to drive from Modesto to the east side of the Sierras. :unsure:
I did a check on Cal Trans road site and the roads were open,at least Ebbetts Pass.
Headed out for Yellowstone tomorrow but not going the usual way over hwy 4,will use 88 instead,not for any road conditions just a faster route.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom