Eastern Sierras Fall colors

I can help with a Hope Valley report. On Sunday 29 Sept 2013 I'd say that 60% of the aspens have gone to light green with maybe 25% to yellow leaves. This year may be better than we've been thinking in the eastern Sierra.

gallery_1902_252_34443.jpg

We were on HWY 89 north of Truckee over the weekend and observations were similar to ski3pins's - changes have started with a couple of spots of nice color, but the peak is still to come. So yes, it is not hitting early afterall.

Here in Susieville it "feels" more like Fall than it "looks " like Fall :oops: with very little color except for the red maples and just a smiggen of yellow in in oaks ! I just got back from the Southern Oregon Coast and the California North coast south to Fort Bragg, and the weather was pretttty bad in both places-lot's of wind and rain with a few sunny days in between-no real fall colors anywhere on my run :p ! Time for that Fall trip to see some color, although it have allot of great colors here, but I guess I' m a pig for lot's of fall color :love: !

Smoke

A friend of mine in Bridgeport (a shutdown-furloughed USFS employee with time on his hands) went for a drive and took this photo of the Summer Meadows area yesterday (Sept 3):

Summer-Meadows_2013-10-b.jpg
Credit: Frank Leeds

So, it seems to be well along, at least in spots...but not there yet.

The sheep seem to be doing well, too. :p

MarkBC said:
A friend of mine in Bridgeport (a shutdown-furloughed USFS employee with time on his hands) went for a drive and took this photo of the Summer Meadows area yesterday (Sept 3):
Very nice Mr. BC! I'm sure you meant Oct 3. Time flies, doesn't it!

BTW, the aspens in our front yard are starting to look pretty nice.

ski3pin said:
Very nice Mr. BC! I'm sure you meant Oct 3. Time flies, doesn't it!
Ummm...yes -- October. Feel free to edit it, ski3pin, as one Moderator to another... :D

A new Facebook photo posted by my shutdown-furloughed USFS friend in Bridgeport, from a drive he took today (Oct 7).

Dunderberg area:
Dunderberg_20131007-1-crop.jpg
Credit: Frank Leeds

I'm leaving Saturday for a week on the east side. Colors should be good this year. Looks like I'll be doing a lot of dry camping with everything closed..Oh well that's why I have the 4X4 and camper :) Lots of good spots in the green creek area and of course the Bodie Hills. Nighttime temps will be in the low 20's, made sure the propane tank was full today :)

Yup. Tank is filled and we're chomping at the bit!
And I got a new set of BFG's mounted up today after clearing three years of hard use from the previous set. The side walls were beat and the tread down to less than an 1/8, but nary a flat. :)

It's changing here too now, well if I can't go play out of a BLM/FS CG, I'll guess I'll just force myself to sit on the back deck and watch the world go yellow, orange and red-Yep it's a tough life when you live out west and have to look at it all; they say a chance of snow tonite, & I even threw a few pieces of lodgepole into the wood shed and split a little fire starter, time to rest and relax now :p !

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom