Eastern WA Fishing

whizbang

Advanced Member
The boss finally gave me a week off. Just in time...
Triad1.JPG

Triad2.JPG

Triad3.JPG

Triad4.JPG

Triad5.JPG

All the trout were released unharmed.

always good when you can get away for camping and fishing :) where was you at? by pics it looks more like central washington,I'm north of Spokane, and we got alot more trees and forest,in the eastern part. LOL

Ya, looks like Vantage.

How did you attach your pontoon to your camper? Very interested in this.

Nice setup by the way.

Home Skillet

The pics are Dry Falls, Rocky Ford, and Lake Lenore (Ephrata/Soap Lake area).

I mounted the pontoon boat on a bike rack that fits into the rear hitch. My bike rack tips down. The second photo shows the rack tipped down so I have enough room to attach the steps.

I also use a small hitch extension so I can open the door and get it while the rack is in the up position.

Next trip I am going to try a "U" boat style float tube. Between the difference in the boats weights, the oars, and the bike rack, I expect to shave just over 100#. My F150 is loaded right to (or possibly over) the max.

Lake Lenore was a bust by the way --- too murky and too windy.

Well, those pic's got me all worked up to get out and do some fly fishing, so.....I am hooking the drift boat up mid day to go float the lower Gunnison River over the next few days. Also planning on hiking into the Gunnison Gorge area to try for some early season Rainbows. The Gorge is a spectacular area, pristine and certainly not a lot of folks this time of year. It takes a little effort to get into the area, so not too many folks down there outside the Salmonfly hatch in June.

Good Camping!

Paul

Question for Mr. Bang:

Are you going to a "U Boat" style to cut weight only or is there a performance issue with your pontoon boat you're trying to escape?

The reason I ask is I have a U Boat and am considering a pontoon setup. I have little experience with the pontoons, thus my interest in your switching.

And I am considering buying a lightweight Float tube. LuckyDan, why are you considering switching to a pontoon? I have no experience with either,

whizbang, thought that area looked fimilar, we like to head to steamboat rock state park in the off season and fish banks lake.

Highz: I'm looking more to add than switch. If your a "pack in" sort of fisher person and/or the water bodies you're targeting are modest the tube style platforms are a good way to go. In my "BC"(Before Children)days I used a belly boat or round style tube I backpacked all over with good results. I now have a couple Caddis round tubes and a Creek Co. U Boat. An interesting thing about about one's offspring also being one's fishing partners. Once they catch on to the activity they expect to be outfitted as well as you are. The reason I went to a U Boat is #1 it was on sale #2 it's a lot easier to get into, out of, sit in and #3 it seems to me easier to maneuver and hold in one spot but that may just be me. My oldest, (15yo) partner can drive a round tube around like a sports car. I should mention that U Boat, while Creek Co.'s model name, it's also generic for that style of tube. A final advantage of a float tube is they are easier to haul around in general.

I'm looking to add a pontoon setup to the flotilla to do some river fishing. Here in Eastern Ore. there are a some places I fish that the current is more than I want to take on in a tube, but people do on pontoons all the time. That and while I can both fly and spinner cast fine from my tube, some pontoons have a platform one can stand up and cast from. I think this should make sight casting to fish mucho easier.

In closing I can say that I've caught more fish because of the access tubing has given me. I don't anticipate that changing with a pontoon setup. If your considering a purchase both camps have a cult like following, thus as usual the internet has loads of info and good luck with your decision.

Don't know what I'll do if I get a pontoon and the partners decide they need to upgrade also. Tell them find a job I guess....

LuckyDan - Very helpful advice. Thanks very much. Given that the majority of lakes that I would go to are small, plus I try to keep weight down when traveling, it sounds like a float tube is the way to go for me. I will check out U boats. You recommend Creek Co., I take it?

HighZ: I have had good luck with my Creek Company. I have the Original U Boat. Caddis and Outcast make some good ones too. I recommend the U style or open front style over the round tubes for the reasons mentioned previously. When choosing, a couple things to keep in mind:

#1 Stability: Mine has been stable with me from calm to mild wind and wave. It does not have a restraint system other than the stripping skirt in front. If you anticipate using one in less than calmer conditions you may want to consider some of the other models. Anyone else on here have more advice?

#2 Weight Capacity: Mine has a 275lb capacity. IMO The good ones have this much and up.

Best of luck with your decision. Glad it's Friday as this discussion has mentally wrecked me for working the rest of the day. I'm OK with that.

HighZ: I have had good luck with my Creek Company. I have the Original U Boat. Caddis and Outcast make some good ones too. I recommend the U style or open front style over the round tubes for the reasons mentioned previously. When choosing, a couple things to keep in mind:

#1 Stability: Mine has been stable with me from calm to mild wind and wave. It does not have a restraint system other than the stripping skirt in front. If you anticipate using one in less than calmer conditions you may want to consider some of the other models. Anyone else on here have more advice?

#2 Weight Capacity: Mine has a 275lb capacity. IMO The good ones have this much and up.

Best of luck with your decision. Glad it's Friday as this discussion has mentally wrecked me for working the rest of the day. I'm OK with that.

I have had a Caddis u type for years and find it very satisfactory.If I don't have room I deflate it than I carry a 12v air pump.Seems to work for me.I see a lot of fisher people with pontoon type but to big for me to pack.Also I can put mine on like a back pack and walk in to some nice small lakes.As with my canoe I prefer small water.

Have fun fishing.I envy you.Here on the central cal. coast there isn't mush in the way of public fishing.My season usually starts after the snow melts in the Sierra.

Frank

I am switching primarily to save weight. It will also be easier to come and go through the back door. I may also fish Lenice or Quail (hike in lakes). My Outcast U boat is much easier to haul into Lenice.

However, the pontoon boat is a better fishing craft. You sit higher off the water which is better for casting, maneuverability, and keeping you out of early or late season COLD water. You can also use it on moving water (Yakima, Skagit, Wenatchee, etc), since you can get your feet completely out of the water and row the boat. Rowing also allows you to cover a larger area. The trick is to remember that you are there to fish, not row.

It is a beautiful area. steamboat is one of our favorite parks.

Back
Top Bottom