Easy way to remove dead bugs from front of Hawk?

GCS03

Headed to Alaska in a few days. Not looking forward to cleaning all the dead bugs off the front of the Hawk during the trip or when I get back.

I thought there was a discussion on this in the past, but can not find now.

Any suggestion on treating / bug proofing the front of the Hawk before the trip? Pam, WD-40, Saran Wrap? I have a Yakima fairing/wind deflector, but it does not allow the doors ff the Tundra to shut and seal, so I get loud wind noise. Not complaining, I still got me a Hawk, a Tundra and a trip North.

Suggestions? Thanks.

Gary/Boise

Long handled scrub brush and a long handled scrubby. Takes me 10-15 minutes to clean the front of the camper. I wouldn't be using any oil or other spray on products.

Used dryer sheets, either unscented or scented. Bring them with you or stop by any laundromat and go thru the trash. Wet the dryer sheet and gently rub the bugs. They will come off very easily. Then clean wipe wet cloth. I use Protectall spray to "wax" my Eagle, which is what I believe FWC recommends in the owners manual. Using the Protectall spray before a trip will make it even easier to remove the bugs. But the used dryer sheet are amazing.

Great idea Larry!!!!

In so far as a preventive measure and to help remove bugs, after cleaning the frontal area, spray PAM (nonstick cooking spray) on a clean rag and wipe the area. Makes removing dead bugs much easier.

Someone posted this tip a few years ago when i asked this very question.

Similar to Advmoto18 The oil does work, I tried tethering two chickens on each corner but by the time a mile was done they were gone? I recall a cross country before lightning bug areas, we parked for a break the sparrows would come pick the truck and cars clean if you were under lights.

Brings up a question I guess... Can one drive into these spray only car washes and not worry about things too much?

Hello GCS03
I did not have much luck with the Hydrogen Peroxide. I bought a bug removal product from the automotive store and had good results, (this was on the faring on my bike) was thick liquid which didn’t just run off. You wait a few minutes then rinse.
I also always waxed everything before long rides, I would try the Pam idea sounds like a good idea.

Russ

PS have read about trip that way and a bug screen across the front of the truck is probably a necessity more than a good idea.

Putting a good coat of wax on prior to the trip will ease in the removal. I am sure after an Alaskan trip it will still be a PITA but should help a bit

Back
Top Bottom