Ebbetts, Monitor,and Sonora Pass

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie
Site Team
We finally were able to get out with the camper and wanted to get up into the hwy 4 corridor.
I had plans to get some fishing in at some of the lakes and rivers along the way.
Fishing was good,catching not so.
For some reason I didn't take many pictures maybe since we have so many of the area already.

Ebbetts,Monitor,and Sonora Pass

Frank

Frank, you visited some very nice places. We are glad you guys got away on an adventure.Thanks for sharing! Is the road into Highland Lakes open?

ski3pin said:
Frank, you visited some very nice places. We are glad you guys got away on an adventure.Thanks for sharing! Is the road into Highland Lakes open?
Ski I think it is. There was only a small amount of snow on the peak in back of the lakes. Didn't see anyone coming or going on the road but the gate was open.
Not much snow in them thar hills.
Lots of water in the lakes and streams though.
Next time we get up that way I want to get back there. It's been a number of years since we have driven back there.
That was also one of our favorite places to go while at the cabin.
Frank

Frank

I have never driven over those passes, but I have ridden all of them on my bicycle, a bunch of times. How I love that area! Thanks for the report.

12valve said:
I have never driven over those passes, but I have ridden all of them on my bicycle, a bunch of times. How I love that area! Thanks for the report.
Have you ever done the "Death Ride"?
We really like Ebbetts Pass Hwy 4 corridor the best.
Not as many people around like on Sonora Pass.
But the high country sure is beautiful,spring & fall.
Even skied some of hwy 4 when we had some good snow.
Frank

Nice report. I have camped in the lake Alpine Union/Utica lake area since 1965. I remember when getting to Union lake took a 4x4 or a motorcycle on Slick Rock Road. Glad you had Union to yourself, on a weekend it is now like Disneyland. I wish the FS and BLM would leave a few areas open to 4x4 access. It is getting to be wilderness or RV camping and not much in between in the Sierras.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Have you ever done the "Death Ride"?
We really like Ebbetts Pass Hwy 4 corridor the best.
Not as many people around like on Sonora Pass.
But the high country sure is beautiful,spring & fall.
Even skied some of hwy 4 when we had some good snow.
Frank
Not the Death Ride. For years and years, a group of us would leave Murphy's, go over Sonora to 395, over Monitor to Markleeville, over Ebbots, Pacific Grade, back to Murphy's. One layover day in Markleeville, usually went over Carson up to South Lake Tahoe. Took 4 days of riding. Some of the best times of my life.

That's some trip.
I get worn out driving that many in a couple days.
We always see a lot of riders up on Ebbetts Pass area and don't envy them. Especially in the summer heat.
Frank

Bosque Bill said:
Thanks for the report. Is that rubber boa a native?
Yes,they seem to also come in other colors.
This is the first one I have seen. I have come across smaller Rosy Boa's that look like a pencil on the ground.
It's great to see thinks when you look down.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Yes,they seem to also come in other colors.
This is the first one I have seen. I have come across smaller Rosy Boa's that look like a pencil on the ground.
It's great to see thinks when you look down.
Frank
Thanks. Yes, always good to keep the eyes (and mind) open!

Back
Top Bottom