Ebbetts Pass

Wow you two get out a lot. I wish we lived up there. Maybe one day we can relocate to Bishop. Thanks as always for sharing the experience.

Wow you two get out a lot.

You can sure say that again! Thanks for sharing with story and pics. Looks like a sweet area.

Ebbetts Pass is a special place for me. I have camped there since the early 60's at Duck Creek by Utica-Union Lakes. I rode over the second day it was open this year, road condition was excellent. Ebbetts Pass is one of the best rides in California. Here are some pictures of my ride. The red BMW is my bike.

The forgotten sierra area, it really is a beautiful place. I am amazed you guys got to explore that area so soon. It seems like it always get abnormal amount snow down there. Thanks for the reminder. Wu Wei

Ebbetts Pass is a special place for me. I have camped there since the early 60's at Duck Creek by Utica-Union Lakes. I rode over the second day it was open this year, road condition was excellent. Ebbetts Pass is one of the best rides in California. Here are some pictures of my ride. The red BMW is my bike.

Thanks for the ride along.We were up there the same day at Hermit Valley.I was fishing and the wife was in the car reading.She saw a pop up so when you first posted you were up there I just thought it was you,but not so.
This pass is one if not the best.
Frank

We just could not stay home last weekend................

trip report is here - Ebbetts Pass

Please enjoy.

Thanks Ski.Again a lot of enjoyment from your reports. We're going back next week hope to get up there with the friends we are taking along.The area is open really early this year. Was surprised to see Alpine with NO ice so early.Usually there is still some until the end of May.
In the 30 years we have been going to the area this is about the earliest to see it open.In July of 95 the pass didn't open until 4th of July week end,and than there was a 4' berm at Mosquito Lk.
Keep posting the fun.
Frank

Just for snow reference. Mosquito Lk. July '95. Lk alpine Lodge January '95.That was a huge snow year.

Attachments

• DSCN5995.jpg
    DSCN5995.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCN5996.jpg
    DSCN5996.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 99
Highland Lakes is a pretty cool pair of lakes. They are right next to each other, but one lakes drains into the Stanislaus watershed and the other drains into the Mokelumne watershed.

Thanks Ski. I always enjoy your reports. This one gave me the extra inspiration needed to commit to a quick trip this weekend into questionable weather.

Ian

Ebbetts Pass has a special place in my memories. I have ridden my bicycle up it many times in Fall, starting at Markleeville Hot Springs, finishing in Murphys, where we started our trip four days earlier. Without question, the most beautiful, scenic pass in the Sierras. Love that ride.

You ride your bike up that road? Even with the nutty people who think (its fine for my 35' fifth wheel isn't it?). Hard core. I only make my Jeep go downhill
cool.gif

Ebbetts Pass has a special place in my memories. I have ridden my bicycle up it many times in Fall, starting at Markleeville Hot Springs, finishing in Murphys, where we started our trip four days earlier. Without question, the most beautiful, scenic pass in the Sierras. Love that ride.

Do you ever do the "Death Ride"?
I have watched that ride a few times and boy you don't have crazy to do it but it sure helps.
Ditto on the beauty.
Frank

No, not the Death Ride, although I know it well. We did our own private ride. We would start in Murphy's and stop in Dardanelles for the first night. Next was Sonora Pass, epic ride up that, down too. Very technical. On to Bridgeport, up to Walker, over Monitor Pass to Markleeville for the second night. Third day up to Lake Tahoe and back. Next and last, over Ebbetts and back to Murphy's. We did that every year for a solid 15 years. Simply outstanding, my memories of that area are long and deep.

Literally spent hundreds of nights up Ebbets Pass in my lifetime, and am fortunate to have lived nearby for many years. It is indeed a very special place with lots of exploring to be done, lots of pioneer and gold rush day remnants too. One of my old dogs is buried up in those mountains, under a huge jeffery pine a ways from a primitive campsite we had spent many nights at over the years.

Glad you were able to get up there.

Back
Top Bottom