Eclipse Road Trip

Ronin

Headed up to Cascade Locks from Grass Valley on Thursday before the big show. Experienced a lot of slow and at times stop and go traffic on I5 from just before Castle Crags to Weed. Once past Weed it was smooth sailing until the City of Rogue River. There was a fire right off I5 4 miles up the road near Grants Pass. It took an hour to slog up the pass with air attack planes and helicopters flying less than 1000 feet above the freeway. Had a quick meal in Merlin and camped at Sam Brown horse camp ( free) 15 miles south of Galice. It was a nice drive along Taylor Creek up to the campground where I joined one other camper.

Next morning after a quick breakfast back to I5 and on to Cascade Locks where I was an attendee and volunteer at the Pacific Crest Trail Days annual event. Camped with a number of very quiet campers and hikers Friday and Saturday nights. Sunday morning drove down Hwy 395 to meet my friends Michael & Tara who had been boon docking about 15 miles north of John Day for 5 days. They had picked out a spot 6 miles east of 395 off So Fork Beech Creek Road ( a smooth but dusty gravel road). Miraculously they found a large meadow that we had all to ourselves. Monday morning we did a short hike up to the ridge above our campsite for an almost 360* view of the eclipse. What an experience to see what looked like sunset all around us and then total darkness in the middle of the morning.

Hung out with our friends Monday and headed out Tuesday morning for Lassen NP. The original plan was to backpack from Elk Lake to McKenzie Pass in the Sisters Wilderness but the trail had been closed due to fires ignited by lightning strikes. My wife had never been to Lassen so it was an easy choice to keep heading down 395 to the Park. Traffic was light except for the occasional backup behind RVs who just refused to pull over with 10-12 vehicles piled behind them. Entered Lassen at Manzanita Lake to grab a much needed shower and camped at Summit Lake No. Although the campground was full of RVs and motorhomes all clustered together, it was a very quiet night.

Early the next morning drove down to Chester for a nice lunch at the Ranch House and then headed up to Warner Valley for the night. The next morning it seemed to take us forever to collect our backpacking gear
that was co-mingled with our camping and camper gear before heading out for the backcountry. Camped at Upper Twin Lakes that night with no other campers/hikers around. Finally, quiet and blissful solitude!! After a lazy morning headed to Summit Lake and back to Warner Valley to complete our loop. We had reservations for dinner at Drakesbad (our big treat to ourselves) and were able to use their showers and soak in the pools before dining. Spent the last night camped at Warner Valley CG with 5 other campers who were all spread out and very quiet. Perfect!

The total eclipse lasted about 2 minutes but was an awe inspiring experience!!

Attachments

• eclipse - 1.jpg
    eclipse - 1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 100
  • eclipse - 1 (1).jpg
    eclipse - 1 (1).jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 98
  • eclipse - 1 (2).jpg
    eclipse - 1 (2).jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 98
  • eclipse - 1 (4).jpg
    eclipse - 1 (4).jpg
    52 KB · Views: 102
What a great time! Thanks for sharing with us! How neat that your friends found you all such a good spot to savor the eclipse experience! :)

That sounds like a great trip with some varied activities and a great spot to watch the eclipse. I enjoyed reading about it. Thanks for posting your report.

Thanks for your nice comments. I was dreading the crowds on this trip but luck was on my side. Hope to cross paths with you all someday!!

Back
Top Bottom