Edgestar Portable Fridge / Freezer - 43 Qt. 447.00

ouzel

New guy here with a heads-up on a pretty good price for a EdgeStar Portable Fridge / Freezer - 43 Qt. $447.00 which includes shipping. Mine should be arriving tomorrow. I will keep you posted.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FP430-EdgeStar-Portable-Fridge-Freezer-43-Qt_W0QQitemZ110426852525QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b5f40cad&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

ouzel

Ouzel,

I'd love to hear your first impressions on this. I have been kicking the idea around for a few months. With winter about here, I'll probably just wait on it, but am interested in your review of the chiller, as well as your location in the truck or camper.

Go to Expidition Portal site and punch in Edgestar some great info. I have been looking into getting one and I have yet to read about any negative stuff on them. Power draw seems right in line and uses an old style swing compressor.

The other Edgestar thread reinforces what I am about to claim about Mr. ouzel...

You are a troll.

:mad:

Without saying so, I had that impression also. It's odd for a persons first post in a forum to be one that is promoting a product. The capt will have to drop the hammer.

Go to Expidition Portal site and punch in Edgestar some great info. I have been looking into getting one and I have yet to read about any negative stuff on them. Power draw seems right in line and uses an old style swing compressor.

Thanks, Bat. Here is the EP Edgestar thread: link

The OP is dated 02-feb-09 so clearly there is no long term reliability data available. Plenty of niggling problems with 12v plugs, wires, and internal spade connectors are reported. No catastrophic failures were reported during the seven month interval of the thread.

Currently the 43 qt freezer is priced at $494.10 on the Compact Appliance website.

My $0.02 is that having to buy ice every second day is a pain (I have augmented the insulation in our Hawk's standard ice box so now 10 lbs of ice last two days instead of one) but we pass a convenience store far more frequently than that, stopping for gas, coffee, bathroom breaks, ..., so on-board refrigeration is not a requirement for us. We estimate we spent less than $50 on ice during our 26 day loop, so it would take nearly ten years to pay for the unit, even at the bargain price of $447. We are not at all confident the unit will last out the amortization period. So this accessory is fairly low on our wish list.

Heya Mark

how did you beef up the insulation? Can you elaborate a bit?

My unit has worked well...but if there's a way to make it more efficient/cool better I'm all over it. I don't, however, just wanna tear into it. (because it IS working well...LOL)

thanks

mtn

<snip>Can you elaborate a bit?<snip>
thanks
mtn

hi, mtn ;)

All's I did was to pull out the icebox and cut pink rigid foam to fit on the top, bottom, back and sides of the opening where the icebox goes. Then I replaced the icebox.

It worked so well that I'm considering adding pink rigid foam to the door too. (The handle is completely un-insulated.)

Back
Top Bottom