Electric Brake Controller

robojeeper

Advanced Member
I want to add an electric brake controller to my 04 Sierra 2500HD to tow a 20ft 2 axle trailer behind my truck and camper.Anyone know what to look for or ask when I go to buy one?

I bought mine at Camper World. Probably paid too much. But anyway, I just researched on RV.Net, went with a recommended one there, and hooked it up myself in very short order. Maybe 20 minutes. Didn't take any special tools, or knowledge.

most electric brake controllers are rated for 2axle trailers (4 brakes) look for rating to match your trailer, from there some have built in gain control to control the amount of current that is supplied to the brakes (more or less braking from trailer} also check make to see where you want to mount it so its will fit. Most are about the same, they supply power to your trailer brakes.

I posed this question on a couple of Dodge truck sites a while back and the general opinion was that the Tekonsha Prodigy was the best of the accelerometer based controllers. I picked one up on E-bay pretty cheap and it was an easy install. You may need an adapter harness for your truck to make it a simple plugin.

Back
Top Bottom