Electrical 3 prong plug that goes into side of Alaskan

MarkD

I just purchased a vintage 1970's Alaskan. I need the plug that goes into the side of the camper and connects to a battery. Can't seem to find it on line anywhere. Also having trouble finding the 12 volt lights bulbs for the "reading" lights. The screw in bulb socket seems to be a non standard size. Any one have a source. Have only been investigating on line at this point. Thanks.

photos help, is the plug round? not much on line info on 70's models anyone else have reprintable info? I have a 76 8'CO

Mark.....go to the pinned 1969 Alaskan Manual thread in this section and print out the manual.
The electrical system is a bit unique but you will understand it better after a good read.
Check RV stores for 12-volt bulbs as you need them when running off the battery, when you switch to shore power you swap them for 120volt 40 watt bulbs. you need the 3 ended pigtail as shown or you need to fabricate one.
Or....just plug in an extension cord to 120 volt "shore power" with the 120 volt bulbs installed.

Thanks once again since the 110 connection has been totally removed from the driver side exterior I will be fabricating something after removing the aluminum plate covering that area.

Wagoneer.....be sure to test out the wiring system of the Alaskan and insure you underestand what modifications, if any, have been made to it before plugging it into anything. That pic I saw shows, among other things, a solar panel. You will need to learn how this was all put together. I would suggest you do that in detail with a volt-ohm meter before going forward and after you have read that 1969 manual as a preface to understanding how Alaskan's were originally wired up.

I don't speak "solar panel installation" but several guys here are very knowledgeable about them. You will have to be able to take pics of what you can see in terms of what the system entails and try to figure out why....the PO eliminated the shore power receptacle in the first place.

wagoneer, on 24 Jul 2018 - 04:48 AM, said:

Thanks once again since the 110 connection has been totally removed from the driver side exterior I will be fabricating something after removing the aluminum plate covering that area.
Wagoneer:

I second Chuck's above suggestion, that before you remove the solid aluminum plate and wire in a 120 plug for connecting to shore power, carefully test all the existing circuits in your Alaska to determine thier operating voltage. With that nice solar panel on the rear roof and the solid aluminum plate covering the previously removed 120 volt input plug, I strongly suspect your entire Alaskan has been converted to run on 12 volts. Yeah, the 120 volt plug outlets will not work, and the interior lamp above the bed may not work either. But you really don't have anyplace to plug into a 120 vac power in the desert or back country anyway. If the prior owner converted the former 120 vac circuits to 12 volt dc circuits, you might fry some 12 vdc components by converting those circuits back to 120 vac.

After I added two 100 Watt solar panels to my 1966 NCO Alaskan. I removed the old 120 vac input plug on the front driver's side exterior and covered that junction box with a solid plate to signify that 120 vac was no longer needed in my Alaskan. I suspect the solid junction box plate on your Alaskan is intended to deliver the same message, that 120 vac is no longer needed for camping. Rear these two threads to learn how I converted my Alaskan to all 12 volts dc:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/11452-engel-12-volt-refrigerator-in-1966-8-nco/

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/13817-2016-improvements-to-1966-8%E2%80%99-nco/

Have fun getting to know and camp in your Alaskan!

Back
Top Bottom