enclosed storage comparisons

Mike M

Hello,
How much does an enclosed storage unit attached to the top of the camper effect gas mileage? I have an older pop up unit. Will attaching the unit harm the roof at all? Does it become difficult to pop up it up? Are there any other options for storage on the exterior? Thank you.

Mike

I have a Thule case that I sometimes use and I would say I don't think it changes the mpg much at all if any. Now lifting the roof with 100 lbs up there is not fun but I have a system. A large pad that goes on top of my head for lifting the rear and I stand on a shelf / bed that is about 2 feet high across the front of the camper and lift the roofi across the flat of my back as I push up the front support arm. I have had a real bad back and if I can lift it that way, almost anyone could. I only use the case when I really need it because of all the extra work, but snowboards, skiis, snowshoes, boots, polls all store really nice up top! When I don't need the Thule I built a rack that holds two 5.5 gas low profile tanks up there when needed.

Thank you for the info. I have heard that the pop ups require special racks b/c of the width? Is there a good place to find a used rack? Thanks Mike

I have a Thule case that I sometimes use and I would say I don't think it changes the mpg much at all if any. Now lifting the roof with 100 lbs up there is not fun but I have a system. A large pad that goes on top of my head for lifting the rear and I stand on a shelf / bed that is about 2 feet high across the front of the camper and lift the roofi across the flat of my back as I push up the front support arm. I have had a real bad back and if I can lift it that way, almost anyone could. I only use the case when I really need it because of all the extra work, but snowboards, skiis, snowshoes, boots, polls all store really nice up top! When I don't need the Thule I built a rack that holds two 5.5 gas low profile tanks up there when needed.

5 SPEED you should make a leverage lifter like the one Less made.I'm not sure what thread it's in but it sure saves on the back. Also the roof lifters really work great.
I made the leverage lifter before i installed the hydraulic lifters,and carry it just in case.I carry my 12' canoe and the lifters come in handy.

Frank

Back
Top Bottom