Engel Fridge

dsrtrat

I am thinking about buying an Engel fridge for my camper. I plan on mounting the Engel in the truck cab and keeping the Dometic 1.9 cu ft fridge in the camper. If the Engel works out I may move it to the camper and use it as the primary. The Dometic is ok but finiky, I don't always park on level spots in the backcountry.

Some questions for those with Engels.
How is the noise level inside the camper or truck cab? How much heat is given off? Do you have the transit bag and is it useful? Anyone used the new MRO-40 model with the side opening lid and plastic exterior? Which size do you have? I an looking at the MT-35 Mt-45 or MRO-40. Anyone used the Two Zone option?

Dsrtrat:

Yes, I only have an ARB version of the engel. Very nice. My brother has a dometic in his pop up. Very finicky. Must be level. If he forgets to change over to propane and we go out for a meal, his battery is dead. Yikes!

I keep mine in the camper or truck. Noise is not bad when you are driving. can be noisy if you sleep next to it. depends on the duty cycle. Get the transit bag, helps with insulation, and keeps the dings down. I have the old metal unit, but would love to have the newer and cheaper plastic ones. I've the 45 version. Don't have a two-zone yet, but probably will get one just for the increased size.

I often run mine on battery even when the truck is sitting. I do have an extra battery in the truck. BUT, I did find that my portable solar panel will run the fridge during sunlight hours. Not bad if it is not too hot.

I've also used it to freeze fish. Works pretty well, but duty cycle really goes up. plastic bags a must!!

Good luck.

Dave in SEattle

Engel

A few weeks ago I installed an Engel MT-45 in my Grandby. See thread:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484

I've slept in the camper two nights since then and the noise of the Engel does not keep me awake. It doesn't seem to put out much heat and I really like the way it works. I only have an ice box in the camper so the Engel is a great addition. I do not have the transit bag, but might by one later, depending on how the finish holds up, and how well it stays cold in the camper.

Good Luck

Engel

A few weeks ago I installed an Engel MT-45 in my Grandby. See thread:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484

I've slept in the camper two nights since then, and while the Engel does make some noise, it does not keep me awake. It doesn't seem to put out much heat and I really like the way it works. I only have an ice box in the camper so the Engel is a great addition. I do not have the transit bag, but might by one later, depending on how the finish holds up, and how well it stays cold in the camper over next summer.

Good Luck

Hello Dsrtrat

I put in a Engel 45 in the cab with a transit bag including a thermometer. The noise level is barely noticeable when parked. I also put in a BatteryBrain to ensure I don’t drop the truck battery below starting capacity as insurance. One of the better mods I’ve done and increased camping time in the back country.

http://www.batterybrain.com/batterybrain.pl?sid=yj0sxbizcl&action=home

engel

i will preface this by saying i also sell the engels at our shop along with the FWCampers.

i also have done the engel thing in my 2004 grandby.i removed my 3 cu. ft norcold and installed a mt-35 with two zone on a track plate.i also installed dual batteries at the same time.this is the best mod i have done to my camper.we tested it on a 24 day western trip that we just completed.most stops were overnight,but we did have it plugged in up to 3 days without starting the truck.it ran about 10-15 minutes an hour.elevations from sea level to 10,000 feet.temps from 28 to 95 degrees.
with the mt-35 and two zone you can still easily open the tops with the camper popped down to load groceries or get stuff out of the fridge.the one thing i should have done is put an engel thermometer in so i would not have to fiddle with the temp control guessing what temp it was at.
i will post some pics of the conversion.we pulled the fridge and counter top off over the fridge to do the install.then we put shelves next to it because it does not take up as much room as the norcold.
we also run a mt-17 in our supercab to keep cold drinks and snacks on hand when driving.
shoot me an email if you need prices on any of the engel products.
sean 262-370-4255
www.go-anywhere.us
trailrider71us@yahoo.com

Back
Top Bottom