Engel MT45

chnlisle

Post Master
I've been giving some thought to the differences between the top opening Engel Fridge/Freezers and the front opening models. I guess I'm partial to the top openers because of physics. It seems to me that since cold descends and heat rises the moment you open the front door of the fridge all the cold air falls out. With the top opener that doesn't happen. I'd be interested in all of you thoughts on this.

Now for a little shameless commerce. Engel told me the reason for the $145 price hike on the 2011 MT45 is because of the weakness of the dollar v. the yen. In light of whats happening in Japan now, they say the price is bound to go up again soon. I still have a few MT45's left at the old price of $804 including shipping.

I'm a big proponent of top loaders of any kind.

Used them in built-in situations for years on my sailboats.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The physics... as I understand them.

It sort of depends on what kind of "mass" is in the fridge, i.e., what's in the fridge?

How much of it is air and how much of it is cold, mostly solid or liquid items (i.e., the food)?

On a side door unit the air will fall out when the door is opened and the replacement air will need to be cooled. However, the solid & liquid items (which if are already cold and if they don't fall out for long periods of time and change temperature) will also help the compressor cool the new replacement air.

Thus, on a side door unit the compressor will most likely need to operate to help cool the new air. Air can be cooled relatively quickly, the smaller the amount the faster. The biggest deal with a side door installation is how well does the door seal when closed. Leaking air will not be good for keeping things cold.

Virtually (a weasel word) none of the air falls out with a top loader (and the cold, solid & liquid items don't fall out either). So the compressor will not have to operate very much to cool any new air, because there isn't much new air to cool.

Now, convience of getting to your food, well, that's a personal preference.

In all cases, initially load the units with already cold, solid & liquid items and keep the door open for only short periods of time (i.e., mostly closed) and the compressor will not have to operate much as most that I have seen, of all types, are very well insulated in today's world.

Data,

If some one else can post how many amps it takes to cool a side door unit, I can post how many amps it takes to cool a top loader of 1.5 cf in size.

Let's say from 75 degrees F to 35 degrees F, my Indel marine grade, top load fridge in my partially owner completed interior buildout of a Bobcat shell takes 3.5 amps over a 20 minute period of time. It will hold that temp thru various openings of the lid and adding and removal of food items of various temps using only an average of 0.7 amps per hour. I can also use my second Indel as a freezer, using 3.9 amps in 30 minutes from 75 degrees F to 30 degrees F and holding that temp with 0.9 amps per hour. Ah, this test was done with the unit empty, temperature readings were from my VWR 21800-076 digital thermometer with bottle probe.

P.S. thanks to the WTW members that pointed me in the right direction for purchaing solar panels, charge controller and for the above data... the Mornigstar Remote Meter to gather that data. The solar panel threads on this forum are great. Thanks.

I have a MT-35 with two zone. I run the unit on freezer and put a small towel on the bottom basket of the two zone. I keep milk, eggs, bacon and lunch meat in the top of the two zone. After two different 3 way fridges and problems keeping the fridge portion cool. The Engel is the only way to go. Plus I never have to worry about keeping the engel level. That make it worth any price. P9290001.JPG

Paulie

P.S. When the lid is down on my Grandby I can still get
into the Engel for something cold.

I'm thinking one of each. The side opener for all those condiments and things that will get buried in the top loader. The top loader for all the big items. A bit impractical on the pocket book but having the best of both worlds, ahhhh.

I love my MT 45!!! Has worked flawlessly all last year. Goes 48 to 72 hours on one Group 31 battery depending on furnace use. Yes, it seems whatever you want is on the bottom but how long does it take to set a few items aside? I will NEVER go back to a gas fridge!!!!

Jay - do you still have any MT45's?

"I still have a few MT45's left at the old price of $804 including shipping."

I'm in Canada, but I can probably get it shipped to a PO box in WA.

Thanks.

I still have one at that price. Shipping to Canada would be more but to WA it's $804. I don't think UPS ships to a P.O. Box But maybe FedEx?

The last MT45 I had for $804 with free shipping has been sold. I will soon have several more MT45's. Engel's "Manufacturer's Advertised Price" for these units is $910 and that's what I have them listed for in my eBay ad. However as usual I will cut a special deal for WTW members. If you're interested let me know and I'll email you the price. Y'never know who's lurking here.

Is it possible to buy an Engle even if you no longer own a camper?

Now I'm seriously wandering the west.

Life has gone down and up and down and finally back up. Just need to rebuild my war chest, then I'll be in another 4 wheeler.

For now, I'm a relief manager for a small motel chain on the coast. I go to our different locations for 2-3 week relief session for the permanent GM. Right now I'm in San Diego, in 10 days I may go to San Jose or LA, or Bakersfield - I don't get the assignment until usually about 5 days beforehand.

That brings me to looking for an Engel - so I can keep the basics that I don't use up at one hotel, and take them to the next.

Jay - How much for an Engel 45 - and what would be the delivery time?

If you need to send private, that is fine.

Thanks,
Ron

Hi Ron,
I can sell them to guys on this forum for $835 including shipping. The problem is I need to order 3 at a time to get that price, otherwise they're $885. Turn around time to me is 3 to 5 days.

I ended up picking up an Edgestar FP430 - 43 qt. fridge/freeze from West Marine here in San Diego. They had them in stock and I didn't come across anything warning me off of them. Their Amazon reviews show a little bit less quality in some cases than the Engel - but it is $350 cheaper. I guess time will tell. It looks like a solid unit, and seems to work well. Has both an AC and DC plug, Danfoss compressor, etc.

Back
Top Bottom