Engel SB70F

Gormley Green

Contributors
Well I guess I'm finally about the pull the trigger on one of these fridges. I put a deposit dowm on one that will arrive in February. I saw Randygirls in person this summer and was very impressed. Its virtually the exact size as the ice box and should install no problem. The camper is just sitting in an outdoor storage lot right now and giving me lots of time to ponder upgrades. I bought a new faucet yesterday with a sprayer, I have a new water pump replacement from FWC to install as well.

I think this fridge and a 100-130watt solar setup will keep me content for a while! Hopefully. I have been sending out some emails to try to get the best price on a package deal for the sun saver mppt and remote monitor along with a panel. Trying to do it locally, unsure on shipping to Canada from Solar Blvd.

So travel in 2012 might be just a little more civilized if everything comes together! The ice box was fun for a while...

Well I guess I'm finally about the pull the trigger on one of these fridges. I put a deposit dowm on one that will arrive in February. I saw Randygirls in person this summer and was very impressed. Its virtually the exact size as the ice box and should install no problem. The camper is just sitting in an outdoor storage lot right now and giving me lots of time to ponder upgrades. I bought a new faucet yesterday with a sprayer, I have a new water pump replacement from FWC to install as well.

I think this fridge and a 100-130watt solar setup will keep me content for a while! Hopefully. I have been sending out some emails to try to get the best price on a package deal for the sun saver mppt and remote monitor along with a panel. Trying to do it locally, unsure on shipping to Canada from Solar Blvd.

So travel in 2012 might be just a little more civilized if everything comes together! The ice box was fun for a while...

We have just passed the one week mark of our first Engel test run. We are using ours as a freezer and have been cycling frozen jell packs through the Engel to keep the fridge cool while we are putting on the miles. No need to worry about blown out pilot light or draining battery with fridge on DC. So far it has worked perfectly. However, the weather has not really given anything a serious workout. Solar panel does do much in a snow storm but the alternator seems to be able to keep up with our needs.
We are are a bit mystified by the enthusiasm Texas drivers have to explore the ditches either side of I 20 while everything is covered with snow. Must be something interesting there but we don't know what it is.

Trying to do it locally, unsure on shipping to Canada from Solar Blvd.

Do you ever come down into WA?

Not too often, unless I'm tying to save money!

Well no idea what solar costs/shipping in Canada run but if it ever makes any sense I'm happy to coordinate shipping something here (Everett, WA 98204) and doing a handoff. Obviously Squamish is quite a bit farther north though so that is why I asked if you came down this way at all.

Well no idea what solar costs/shipping in Canada run but if it ever makes any sense I'm happy to coordinate shipping something here (Everett, WA 98204) and doing a handoff. Obviously Squamish is quite a bit farther north though so that is why I asked if you came down this way at all.

Thank you. I will definitely keep that in mind as I go forward with this. Cheers.

Hey Gormley

It's worth your while to ship the stuff to Washington state and then drive down and pick it up. You save lots on the shipping alone. I ship lots of mail order stuff to Blaine and then pick it up there and get a tank of cheap gas while I'm at it. Lots of parcel service places in the various border towns. They charge as little as 2 bucks for small packages. Custom's at the border is easy, I always declare what I have picked up and on several occasions I have been waved through without paying any duty or tax.

Hey Gormley

It's worth your while to ship the stuff to Washington state and then drive down and pick it up. You save lots on the shipping alone. I ship lots of mail order stuff to Blaine and then pick it up there and get a tank of cheap gas while I'm at it. Lots of parcel service places in the various border towns. They charge as little as 2 bucks for small packages. Custom's at the border is easy, I always declare what I have picked up and on several occasions I have been waved through without paying any duty or tax.

That's definitely an option. Thanks. I was going to ask about customs procedures. I've never been a cross border shopper, and when I come back its typically after 48+ hours so I'm home free.

If I was to pick up a solar system for ~$1200 what would I be looking at on the border crossing. I wonder if any of the items would be US made and exempt?

If I was to pick up a solar system for ~$1200

What the heck are you buying that is going to run you $1200?

What the heck are you buying that is going to run you $1200?

You're right on the solar, I was just spitballing. There's a few other toys I might be looking at too. :D

I just picked up the fridge yesterday. I won't be installing it in the camper until springtime but I'd like to test it. It has a 14 day warranty. Would it be ok to hook it up directly the my camper battery, which I have sitting in the garage as well? I would of course fuse the positive wire with the Engel supplied inline fuse. I just want to run it for 20 or 30 mins to make sure everything is good.

Why wouldn't it? Just charge up your battery after.

Just wanted to be safe this thing was $$!

EDIT: worked perfectly. Fridge set on 5 got cold in a hurry! Almost got my fingers stuck to the freezer when I touched it after the first~25 min run cycle. Success!

smugshot1025467-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom