Epic road trip in planning, need advice...

compubmw

So, right now my brother are planning an epic road trip around North America once classes are out for the semester.

The trip is going to be up the CA coast to WA, across the country, down the east, and work our way back through the south.

I have some stops planned but I need advice, not just on stops and roads, but essential gear.

This is basically an on-road trip.

I have my 09 Toyota FJ, ARB Bumper, spacers in front, KN filter, cyclone pre filter, dual battery (will be finished by then), stock skids and bling plate (will be reattached by then), Hella 500s on bumper, NavComputer, OBD2 monitor (so I can keep an eye on trans temp while towing), fridge in car, and Airlift 1000 in back springs.

The '12 R-Pod 177 trailer is already outfitted and I've added a second battery and solar. Only thing I don't have is a generator to run the A/C, so I think I'll skip that.

I'll bring basic tools, wrenches, ratchets, impact driver, fuses, fluids, first aid, ham radio, cb, compressor, jump-starter thing, etc.

Any other suggestions?

This is the first real trip besides in AZ that I'll have towed a trailer on.

Welcome to WTW, compubmw. :)

Wow -- what a trip! How long will you take to do this?

Welcome to WTW, compubmw. :)

Wow -- what a trip! How long will you take to do this?

I'm expecting around 2 months.

My best friend and I did a road trip in 1978 when we graduated from high school. It was an amazing adventure. We were young and dumb and missed a lot of the interesting things to see in this country because we were more interested in partying and chasing girls.

My suggestion is to go as light as possible. Plan the big things you want to see and be very flexible. There are many hidden gems out there that you won't know about until you're talking to someone familiar with the area.

Also, being from California, keep in mind the weather is very different when you start heading east. It can rain (really rain) in the Midwest and east and in the south.

I did the big trip two years ago. First tip get off the interstates when you can. Lots more to see on the smaller roads. If you are going to eat out some check out Diners and Dives on line or get a copy of Road Trip USA. Make a list of something you may have seen on TV or heard about that you would want to see. We saw "A man named Pearl" on PBS and made it a point to see it. We were not disappointed. Enjoy the trip. Link to my big trip report.

Only thing I don't have is a generator to run the A/C, so I think I'll skip that.

I'm not sure what states you plan on visiting or what you want to see, but Back East in the summer you will likely be using your trailer's AC most of the time because it is so very humid! Keep in mind that most of the East is very populated and there are no BLM lands and only a few, small National or State Forests so you will have difficulty finding areas for dispersed camping where you can run a generator. Leaving the generator behind might be the best idea unless you plan to spend most of your time in places like Wisconsin, northern Michigan or northern Maine--where there still is wilderness (and bugs).

Maybe some Easterners at WtW can suggest more remote forests in their states with not-so-rough back roads and dispersed camping that you could visit along the way.

Sounds like a great trip! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom