Equity firm Salt Creek Capital acquires Four Wheel Campers

So Tom sold the company? Anybody with the name of 'Salt Creek Capital' makes me very nervous...

Stan or Tom...what say you?

Phil

Tom introduced us to the fellow who is buying the company at Overland Expo East. He seems like a really nice guy. I wouldn't be too worried by the corporate name, but of course time will tell. I don't think Tom would have let it go to a faceless entity solely determined to milk the brand for quick profit.

Well hopefully it stays the same , sometimes when company start getting bigger they start losing who they were. Like making thing to quick and not very good quality control . Also I think having a line that does Custome work would be great for the company . To me keep it simple give people what they want at a fair price . But I would bet it's going to change

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Reading the article it sounds like Tom will still be running the company. I hope so. They want to grow the business. Could be good or bad depending on how they go about it.

WOW! Really hate to see big companies suck up little guys.
Time will tell but if Tom stays around things shouldn't change to much.
They have a market for their campers and hope that doesn't change.
Good luck Stan,Tom.
Frank

Building a business and selling is the American dream. Look at all the craft brewers which have sold to the same type capital firm. Tom is getting older and a capital firm will pay the best price. Expanding the dealer network and raising the camper prices was always with the intent of selling the firm for the best price. The future, who knows. Capital firms generally sell a company again after a few years. When traveling this year, we saw a lot of RV's being hauled to dealers by contract haulers. The last time we saw this many RV's on the road and new Corvettes was right before the 2008/9 bust. Tom is selling at the top. Eventually, another bust and then another growth cycle. Dust to dust, ashes to ashes. As to quality, I have the paper covered wood and would only give FWC a C for quality.

Well it could be an exit strategy or it could be they are growing and needed an injection of capital to grow larger. I just hope the bean counters don't cut the quality. This does in my mind explain why they had some of the largest cost increases that I can remember this December and will likely only continue. As Bob Dylan foretold "times, they are a changing."

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

Tom announced this at the So Cal rally last weekend, I talked with him a bit on Sunday morning before heading out. As i understand it he is still working at Fwc, but he says "only 40 hours a week". His onsite consulting will last through the end of this year, then will transition to an as-needed basis.

Tom is retiring!! He will keep his current rig and add a new Hawk on an F250 to wander the West with the rest of us.

Congratulations Tom, hope to see you around out there!!

Lets just hope the FWC name continues and Salt creek doesn't buy them just to one day soon shut down production with investments already made on the competition.

Happy Trails to you.... until ... we ...meet again....
The only change you can count on not happening is from a vending machine!
We ... the folks who currently have a FWC ....I think our enthusiasm will help keep the new Boss stay on the righteous track!
Might as well be positive.

wuck said:
Tom is retiring!! He will keep his current rig and add a new Hawk on an F250 to wander the West with the rest of us.
It will be interesting to see what options Tom chooses on his new Hawk....

Hopefully the new CEO will also be spending some quality time on the back roads in a FWC....

Bombsight said:
Lets just hope the FWC name continues and Salt creek doesn't buy them just to one day soon shut down production with investments already made on the competition.

Salt Creek Capital would appear to be an investment company that regularly 'flips' investments by selling them and moving to new ones....doubt if the SF based CEO will be 'out in the dirt' in a FWC; but hey, I might be wrong.

Hopefully the production of FWCs will continue and the staff will keep their jobs when and if this happens.

Glad that Tom can retire and take a full measure of life...I always push early retirement to my friends as you can't buy time. Hope Stan is staying on at FWC.

Phil

FWC makes a quality product that has been growing more rapidly over the last several years.
I would be surprised if they went away but I certainly hope what I love about FWC never changes - great customer service and great people who are as passionate about their campers as I am.
Tom has made some wonderful improvements to FWCs over the years. I've always enjoyed visiting with him and hearing about his business. I wish him the very best in his next stage of life.
I do hope that I run into him along the trail some day.

Wallowa said:
Glad that Tom can retire and take a full measure of life...I always push early retirement to my friends as you can't buy time. Hope Stan is staying on at FWC.

Phil
Amen to THAT!

Hopefully the Warranty Terms won't change. On another related but different topic, does anyone know if the warranty is transferable if you sell the camper?

Current warranties won't be changing or going away (at least not that I have heard of).

It will be business as usual. : )

The warranty is only for the original owner, non-transferable.

That is how it has been at least the last 15 years +.

Appliances have their own warranty and that is transferable.

The new owner is very nice and I see some great changes coming down the road.

It is just going to take a little time to hire in some more good people, and set up some better manufacturing process for the production line. Please hang in there while we make the transition.

The staff here is excited and we have a really good outlook of the company's future.

:)

Back
Top Bottom