Exhaust fan options

Durango1

So I'm noodling around my next build. (the eternal quest) As of now it will be on a 2018 SRW F-350 Supercab in a "chassis cab" configuration. (Biggest difference is the rails are straight and 107" long allowing a much easier custom flatbed build with a 38" wide x 6" high "shovel box" the length of the bed.)

So never being happy with "good enough" I started playing with measurements and find I can just squeak this build under my 8" high garage doors. (94" maximum camper height.) This may be doable but only with NO extra height allowed for skylights. (Or solar but I may have a solution for that.)

On my Hawk Flatbed now I have a variable speed Fantastic Fan and am happy with it. But we can't have the "bump". Has anyone built an exhaust fan into the wall? Or know of a super low profile ceiling fan? any other wild ideas?

Thanks in advance!

I was wondering how you calculated the loaded height of the truck. Before I ordered my FWC I had the truck, so I could measure the actual bed height with a load approximating the weight of my desired camper. Th springs do settle under load.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/gallery/image/14712-garage-header-camper-clearance/

As seen in the photo, the factory solar panel was the highest point, not the roof vents. The math worked, but it was heavily on my mind on the drive home from the factory

One option if you are close on your overhead clearance is to let the pressure down in your rear tires before you pull in. This can buy you an inch or two, but of course is only practical if you are not going in an out of the garage too regularly. On my last camper I had to do this and adjust the trim on my garage door to get in and out. I have no hope of getting my new camper into the garage.

PS I also looked for a low height exhaust fan but had no luck. The only plan I came up with (but did not try) was to use a inline 'bilge blower' and a dryer type vent on the wall of the camper. I am not sure if this would work that well and would probably be loud and inefficient.

rando said:
PS I also looked for a low height exhaust fan but had no luck.
Kinda the same for me. If it means making too many compromises I may just build away without worrying about height and install a 9' high garage door. The garage has a 10' ceiling. Frustrating to be so close but oh well... :)

Durango1 said:
All truck manufacturers have a "source book" with all dimensions for all configurations. Here is the one I'm using. Check out page 12.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2017/2017_F-350_F-450_F-550_SD_Chassis_Cabs_-_Specs.pdf
Just a fwiw (not much prob ;)), our truck delivered was 2.5" higher unladen, end of frame and 1.75" higher "loaded" (meaning level frame I'm guessing) than spec'd in the corresponding MY document. So I suggest you allow for a bit of wiggle room in your calculations, when using the Ford docs. Some of the discrepancy was prob the tires: optional delivered vs base used for measurements. And I expect there must be some variables from completed wts, suspensions etc.

As you prob know there is a body builders layout doc. at the FleetFord site. That's where I sourced a reasonably accurate scale image of a chassis outline which was useful for planning.

I ever go over to the "hard side" I'd consider no roof vent etc to keep the OAH down. Would prob look at an inline fan as mentioned, with ducting to the rear. Or perhaps a simple 110V shuttered wall fan. Either would prob need a lock down cover/hatch to keep out dust when driving. Hydroponics suppliers could be another equipment source...

My 2008 Phoenix camper does not have a roof vent and just barely fits in my 94” high garage bay. I use a DC powered portable fantastic fan in the window over the stove for ventilation and it works really well for both cooking and air circulation. I do miss the extra light of the vent cover, but like being able to pull it into the garage even more.

Back
Top Bottom