Expected Gas Mileage

Z Man

Hello,

I'm newby. I'm not sure if I should post this question to the Four Wheel group or the Trucks group, but here goes.

I'm in the market for a FWC. I've narrowed it down to two models: the Fleet or the Hawk. The Fleet (a wider version of the Eagle) would go on a 6 cyl. Tacoma. The Hawk would go on an 8 cyl Tundra (03-06 model years). I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who could tell me what kind of gas mileage I should expect with each of these set-ups. Thanks.

From driving a Tacoma with a Bobcat, I do pretty well. Low of 12 - 13 mpg, high 17 - 18 mpg. I drive conservatively on the highway (65 mph normally) and don't view the back roads as race tracks. When I brought the Bobcat home from Reno I was highway only, with jacks attached, and 70 - 75 mph. Mileage was 15 mpg to 17 mpg. Tacoma is a 6 cyl auto extended cab. Your mileage may vary.

Hello,

I'm newby. I'm not sure if I should post this question to the Four Wheel group or the Trucks group, but here goes.

I'm in the market for a FWC. I've narrowed it down to two models: the Fleet or the Hawk. The Fleet (a wider version of the Eagle) would go on a 6 cyl. Tacoma. The Hawk would go on an 8 cyl Tundra (03-06 model years). I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who could tell me what kind of gas mileage I should expect with each of these set-ups. Thanks.

I have a Hawk on a 2005 Tundra AC 4X4 with a 4.7 V8. Last trip up Hwy 1 and back 101 got a average of 15.5 MPG, just freeway would be close to 17 running 65 on the cruse.

Bill in STockton

Hello,

I find myself more in the 11-13 range but I'm a little heavy on the pedal.

Before the Panther could sometimes get 15-17 mpg.....now with it on pretty permanently lucky to get 11 mpg....just can't seem to only drive downhill with a tailwind like some folks:D

Years ago(1968 I think)I overheard a JPL type asking a salesman the wheelbase of a new GTO. The salesman replied "why you can't change it." I've stopped checking my mileage.

WB of a '68 GTO 112.0".

Gas mileage increase is relative to the size of your engine; especially with Toyota's. If you have a 4cyl engine expect 3-5 mpg decrease from before. If you have a V6 or V8 expect 2-4 mpg decrease. If you have a Dodge Hemi .... It doesn't even know it's carrying it; no difference at all.

Ranger II on a 6cyl 2002 Tacoma 4x4 - ~15mpg. Without the camper I get 18mpg.

I may be completely nuts but I have the sense that using the window boot improves gas mileage and reduces highway wind noise. Anyone got data on this?

I get 10 mpg going up hill or down hill. But I love the power ! :D

Just got back from my first road trip with the Eagle Shell on my 08 4wd 6 speed stick Frontier. Got 18 mpg so the camper is costing me 2 mpg.

Camper costs me 3 to 4 mpg. Speed is a big factor. Even with the reduced wind resistance from lowering, still much more than running empty.

Mileage isn't the only consideration. My truck rides a lot better with the camper on. It just bounces like crazy with no weight in the back. Its worth losing a mpg or two.

With the Grandby I get between 15 and 17 and without 18 to 22. I know it's not the model you are asking about but it might help.

I may be completely nuts but I have the sense that using the window boot improves gas mileage and reduces highway wind noise. Anyone got data on this?

No, you're not nuts... the boot interrupts a degree of eddying, therefore more quiet. The gas mileage issue is a bit more elusive, but I think related to the same airflow disruption.

Back
Top Bottom