Expected Mileage?

mac

Hey there, I'm new to the forum and an looking for some accumulated wisdom. I'm looking at an upgrade from my f150 4x4 to a 250 to carry a pop-up and am wondering what type of mileage I might expect. It has the 5.4 L with a 6-spd manual and a 3.73 rear end. My 150 has the 302 and I just don't know if it will do the job.

Hey there, I'm new to the forum and an looking for some accumulated wisdom. I'm looking at an upgrade from my f150 4x4 to a 250 to carry a pop-up and am wondering what type of mileage I might expect. It has the 5.4 L with a 6-spd manual and a 3.73 rear end. My 150 has the 302 and I just don't know if it will do the job.

Well Mac, I had an F150 with a 302 motor, it was a 93. I can't say I wasn't warned, that motor should have never been put in a truck, zero power and torque, and it had to work so hard it didn't get as good a milage as a 351. I hated that truck. If you're going to mount a camper you need a 3/4 ton truck, one with a 7.3 sort of like the TOW MISSLE. You won't have to ask the forum what kind of helper springs or airbags you need, and you won't be driving around over gross like almost everybody else.I hope this helps.

Like Jon said, buy a truck that is built to carry a load. I have a F350 diesle 4x4 and carry my camper full time and it is always ready to roll. My mileage is 12-13 city and 14-17 hwy.

marc

Mac,

I have a 2004 Dodge 2500 Hemi. I had it for about 20,000 miles before getting my Hawk. My trip computer usually ran at 15.1 mpg. This is mostly highway, but before I get to the highway, I go through 22 stoplights. So it's a fair mix I guess. Anyway, since I added the Hawk a few months ago - it's never been off - about 10,000 miles I guess, my MPG is at 12.8. So I guess in my experience, that's the cost - about 2.3 mpg.

As Fish and Marc posted - you'll never be disappointed with a diesel. For me personally - I'm very happy with my gasser, but if I were towing something to boot - I'd choose a fryer.

I'm really excited about the Ford 4.4 in 2010... My Dodger will be 6 years old and well paid for next year, and I'm going to be at the dealership for the first arrivals. If I can smell bacon, I'm buying it.

Oh you guys and your big trucks! :) I have a 2008 F-150 with a 5.4L and it has plenty of power for my camper. I installed airbags myself and changed over to E load range tires and couldn't be happier. I get between 15 and 16mpg depending on where I am driving, and that is with occasional A/C on. I agree, more truck may be better but certainly is not mandatory.

Gee, I wonder what I have started here? :eek:

Good camping,

Paul

Oh you guys and your big trucks! :) I have a 2008 F-150 with a 5.4L and it has plenty of power for my camper. I installed airbags myself and changed over to E load range tires and couldn't be happier. I get between 15 and 16mpg depending on where I am driving, and that is with occasional A/C on. I agree, more truck may be better but certainly is not mandatory.

Gee, I wonder what I have started here? :eek:

Good camping,

Paul

Thanks all for the input, I know the 302 is minimal but was looking at a ATC pop-up with not too many goodies to keep the weight down as it will be mostly a fishin rig for just me. Camper or camper plus truck, that is the question.

Thanks all for the input, I know the 302 is minimal but was looking at a ATC pop-up with not too many goodies to keep the weight down as it will be mostly a fishin rig for just me. Camper or camper plus truck, that is the question.

The fuel consumption and power is not just reduced by the weight of the camper... it is also affected by the increased frontal area of the camper. Granted, it is better with our low profile campers than a hardsided unit, but still a consideration.

I think I go from avg of 19 mpg without the camper to about 17 with the camper with the Cummins.

Kyle

I used to have a 1989 Ford F-150, Ext. Cab, Long Bed, 2x4 with the 302 motor.

I carried a Grandby Model around on it for a couple of years.

I used the stock tires and the stock suspension, and it did alright.

It would have drove better if I added good tires & a set of over-load springs.

The motor and truck was very reliable, BUT it was a gutless wonder !!

The truck empty got around 12 mpg, and with the camper on the truck got about 10 mpg -- no power !

Did it work ? Yes. So if you are on a budget, it would be just fine.

But just don't expect to win any races or get good gas mileage.

I then got a 1997 Ford F-150 with the 4.6L engine.

That was better, mileage was much better, quickness was much better, but the struck still lacked power.

I now have a 2000 Ford F-150 with the 5.4L and I added dual exaust (from the catalytic converters, back), and the K&N air filter system.

WOW !! 100% faster and WAY more power than either of the last trucks.

I usually get about 14 mpg empty, and about 12 mpg with the Grandby on my newer Ford, but the truck still gets up and moves anytime I want it too.

Very happy with it.

This all said ....

If I could justify the extra cost or afford a Ford F-250, I would go out any buy one today !!!

The 3/4 ton trucks are IDEAL for carrying a camper around.

hope this helps.

I run a 04 2500HD Sierra with 6.0 and 4.10 diff. I get 11/12mpg with camper on and 15/16mpg without camper.when climbing up the mountains I will get only 3to4mph but get 25to30mpg coming back down the mountain Ha Ha!

Seems like simplest/cheapest is to try the camper on the existing truck. Upgrade if it isn't enough.

I think a gas F250 (like DD's) is the way to go. Less power than the diesel, but a lot less weight, too.

That said, I'm intending to buy diesel from here on out.

SB

I will not purchase a new truck camper combination incapable of less than 20 miles per gallon of gasoline or 25 miles per gallon of diesel. No doubt, plenty of the readers of this forum drive trucks with slide in campers that do considerably better. I would be quite interested in details about rigs that are achieving higher fuel economy because I am in the market for a new truck camper combination that makes sense for 2010 and beyond.

Does anyone drive a Hilux with a 4 cylinder engine and manual transmission equipped with one of the light weight campers? Is anyone getting 30 miles per gallon with a truck camper? It should be possible. John D

As others have said,more is better. I went from a 4.6 F150 for my Granby but moved to a 7.3 F250 for it. The 150 worked(and worked and worked) but the 250 is stronger/safer and gets 15 with the camper which is better than the 150 did. The 7.3 never strains whereas the gas had trouble getting out of its' own way. Find an lower mileage 7.3 for relatively cheap :D

I will not purchase a new truck camper combination incapable of less than 20 miles per gallon of gasoline or 25 miles per gallon of diesel. No doubt, plenty of the readers of this forum drive trucks with slide in campers that do considerably better. I would be quite interested in details about rigs that are achieving higher fuel economy because I am in the market for a new truck camper combination that makes sense for 2010 and beyond.

Does anyone drive a Hilux with a 4 cylinder engine and manual transmission equipped with one of the light weight campers? Is anyone getting 30 miles per gallon with a truck camper? It should be possible. John D

I think you should hang on. The Mahindras are supposed to hit the market early next year. They should exceed 25mpg diesel and easily carry a camper.

Our soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan call those "bongo trucks", don't they? Nevertheless, there is no question that India will make good trucks at cheap prices. I am certainly open to trying one. I have known about Tata trucks for many years. Most of these are heavy trucks, aren't they? So, lets hear more about Indian trucks and maybe Detroit will open their ears a bit more. They made a big mistake in being arrogant about Japanese cars. Lets see if they do this again with Indian trucks.

I have been seeing "Made in India" on vehicle replacement parts for a number of years now and found these parts to be satisfactory. Obviously, the next step is a complete vehicle.

Do others in the forum know that Detroit refuses to make a half ton truck with a manual transmission? That arrogance is the kind of practice that will cause this customer to try an Indian truck. Frankly, it is offensive that Detroit refuses to make a half ton truck with a manual transmission. _John D

Sure is. Was just watching a GMC commercial. Unloaded truck turns and comes to a stop. You can see it swaying. Whoa, it does that unloaded? Makes you thing the automotive ceo's might not even drive a truck.

If Toyota was selling them with that diesel state side I would have likely bought one when looking last year. :cautious:

I'm driving my 03 Tacoma, which might be a little overweight with 4 people, the dog and loaded camper. But going slow on my beloved Mexican roads, we still get 16 - 18 mpg. Without the Bobcat I get 18 - 22mpg.
If there is a Taco driving slow on the highway, it might be me doing the turtle thing. But hey, we get where we want to go.

I have a 96 Tacoma 4x4 single cab with 2.7L. and 94 Ranger 2. It gets a steady 20 mpg fully loaded on the highway. I'm happy with that. I think I'd need to buy a mega-diesel to do better than 20.

I attain 28-31 on the highway with our 98' Ford Ranger. It only has a 2.5L 4 banger, but my camper has been converted to a shell model so the weight is minimal. I also use "hyper" mile techniques and with more practice, I should be able to get up to 35. You cannot be in a hurry with this setup. -Joel

Back
Top Bottom