Experiences Going Dirt South Out of Hart Mt. Refuge?

Wallowa

Double Ought
I plan to leave next Monday for the Hart Mt. Refuge with the intent of spending a night at hotsprings CG there then going Blue Sky to Skyline to Barnhardy to South Boundary to BLM 6106 to Hwy 140. Stopping overnight if the mood strikes me along the way.

Never have been south of the Hart HQ on those dirt roads and some snow happening now with a week of sun next week.

Can anyone give me a first-person review of those road down to Hwy 140? Any choke points or iffy stream crossings? Bogs? I am solo in '05 Tundra AC cab with '16 Hawk and lots of extraction gear which I don't want to use.

Any and all insights appreciated!

Thanks,

Phil
Enterprise, Oregon

Another possibility is the BLM district office in Lakeview ( 541-947-6200 ). They were helpful to us when we came through the area in 2016.

I don't recall any iffy spots but it was dry when I drove it. Not much in the way of camping spots as I recall. Pretty desolate area. You'd wait a long time for anyone to come along if you needed help.

Old Crow said:
Another possibility is the BLM district office in Lakeview ( 541-947-6200 ). They were helpful to us when we came through the area in 2016.
Thanks all...I have been in contact with Lakeview office [answering machine only and never got a call back] and at the Refuge HQ office at Hart Mt [got a call back yesterday]....no really useful information concerning the current or projected condition of the roads.. officially those south roads in the Refuge close Dec 1; which of course means nothing if the conditions close them to traffic before then.

I was looking for direct information from anyone that has traveled the roads on my indicated route...preferably with in the last couple of years...want to have a heads-up for any potential trouble or difficult locations on this route...

Nothing critical here; I plan to tip-toe and turn back if there is any doubt of not being able to get through...no traffic down there and it would be a long walk out!

Thanks...Phil

Haven't traveled those roads for a few years now but from what I remember...

Guano Creek ford might be a potential problem earlier in the year, especially with a wet winter/spring like we just experienced. Should not be an issue in the fall. Otherwise just a lot of slow going on really rocky roads. Beautiful landscape and great "out there" camping once you leave the Refuge. Technically you are not allowed to camp outside of CG's while on the Refuge.
Many ephemeral lakes and rimrocks to explore and some lakes will probably still be holding water this fall.
It is very remote for sure so definitely be of the mindset to take care of yourself.

Here is a link to a Flickr album from my aerial photo flights over this area last spring.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/desertdustimages/albums/72157681191273342

CraggyMan said:
Haven't traveled those roads for a few years now but from what I remember...

Guano Creek ford might be a potential problem earlier in the year, especially with a wet winter/spring like we just experienced. Should not be an issue in the fall. Otherwise just a lot of slow going on really rocky roads. Beautiful landscape and great "out there" camping once you leave the Refuge. Technically you are not allowed to camp outside of CG's while on the Refuge.
Many ephemeral lakes and rimrocks to explore and some lakes will probably still be holding water this fall.
It is very remote for sure so definitely be of the mindset to take care of yourself.

Here is a link to a Flickr album from my aerial photo flights over this area last spring.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/desertdustimages/albums/72157681191273342

CM,

First those are great aerial photos! Thanks greatly, I really enjoyed them. Yes, I knew of the ford on Guano Creek...will give it a close inspection before attempting it...

Oh, you can camp outside of CGs in the Refuge with a "Backcountry Camping Permit" [several restrictions]...but you can't drive off of the existing roads more than a vehicle length....I plan to stay at hot springs CG and Guano creek CG then just outside of the Refuge near Guano Creek..

Weather looks good for next week and after hitting 140 I will re-evaluate based on weather forecast...want to take a peek at Deep Creek and Drake Creek then down into Shelton and Virgin Springs hot springs...after that weather permitting on to Silver City Idaho via Whitehouse Rd/Jordan Valley... before heading home..

Thanks for the information..it is appreciated.

Phil

Phil -
Sounds like a great loop you have planned.
I'll pm you a few more details but FYI the last bit of "road" and I use that term loosely... :oops: from Long Lake to Hwy 140 is pretty slow going in a few places. The last time I did this section in 2013 I remember being really impressed by the scrapes on the sidewalls of my tires and feeling good about investing in some burly rubber.
Not sure how the Flickr link works but I do have some other albums on there for both Hart Mt and also a earlier helicopter flight over both Hart and Sheldon refuges.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip.

CM,

Again thanks for the input. Will report back when I can..out early tomorrow...dinner at Frenchglen Hotel, camp near there and then on to Hart Tuesday.

Phil

See a report of my trip experience in "Trip Reports"...

Thanks for all the input, it really did help.

Phil

Back
Top Bottom