Exploring on Hway 88

Ted

Magellan
Site Team
Planning on doing just a day trip up Highway 88 near Kirkwood to check out some lakes mentioned a while back by Daryyla. Hoping to find some future camping spots away from the crowds on the big lakes - Caples, Red, Silver, Blue Lakes, etc. I'm in a stock 2000 Tundra 4x4 with a Hawk. According to Darryl, the road to Scott Lake should be no problem. Has anyone done the road to Crater Lake in that area? It looks like there may be some steep, rocky sections on it. Also, any other suggested places to check out while I'm up there?

Thanks, Ted

Crater lake is an easy ride. Took my truck up there no problem. I should bring my kayak up there. It did get a lot of road travel, bikes, atv's etc, but not one person camped up there. I stayed for lunch but didn't camp there. I have the feeling it gets real windy there in the afternoon. Lack of campers on a weekend plus the topography led me to feel that way.

Crater Lake

You will have no problem getting to Crater Lake if the road has not changed from last year. The fishing is good around the north east corner off the rocks. We did not stay overnight either, but it seems ok. You could camp along the river on the road to Blue lakes. Go about 5 miles down the road off to the right. Its free and the fishing is good. If you go into the back side (west), you will avoid the RV's. There is dirt road which looks like a turn out and it goes into the back part and then you can drive back east to the river and camp.

Darryl

Curses. Foiled again!

Gassed up the truck and was setting up my fishing gear for an early morning departure. Then the next door neighbor sees me and comes over. That would be the 30-something wanna-be frat boy neighbor. H e wanted to warn me that he was having a party the next night and it would probably be loud. Last time he did this, we took off in the camper. Heard later that the police showed up at 1:30 am. :mad:

$#&@! If I go explore all day, I don't want to come home and listen to them all night. So stayed home the next day to get household chores done and pack the camper. Took off in the camper once my wife got home from work. Had to keep it close because the out-laws, errr, in-laws were coming the next day.

Not sure when I'll get to explore this area. Thanks for the replies. Sounds like both spots should be easy. Also souhds like the Blue Lakes road is worth exploring as well.

Finally got the chance to head up the hill. Darryl and Craig, either the Crater Lake Road has been destroyed since you two were there or your idea of "no problem" and mine are far apart. Only made it about two thirds of the way in. If I didn't have the camper on I may have gone for it, but was not comfortable doing it loaded. No need to live up to my moniker.

Scott's Lake was much more doable. A little rough but never even put it in 4wd. Got a great spot on the lake only to have three couple show up in a jeep and truck to party right next to us. We went for a hike to get away from them but could still hear the stereo booming a mile away and over a ridge. Shooting off a potato gun and whooping and hollering. That was the first time anyone has come up to me about the camper and I offered no info and was a complete a$$ to him. Of course they left some trash behind as well. Only a few ATV'ers showed up but they didn't bother me at all after this group.

Photo of our camp on the lake. Truck is a little right of center.
gallery_176_87_152329.jpg

Ted, on the way to crater lake you passed by a flat camp area before you went right and then left on up the hill?

Ted, on the way to crater lake you passed by a flat camp area before you went right and then left on up the hill?

Ted: Ya, maybe the road is worse this year. I was over at Laural Lakes and they said the road was worse this year. I will go try Crater lake raod in a few weeks and let you know. Iv'e learned recently that I may be pushing it a little by some of the places I want to go. At Scott lake a little east from where you were at from what I can see is a secluded spot that we stayed at. Scott Lake was good for one visit. I would suggest Laural Lakes over by Mamouth, but the road gets a little tight at the end. Nice places to camp by the meadow and stream though about half way up. Four wheel drive needed.

Darryl

Ted, Looks like a great spot, too bad you had to put up with the party trash. We all like our drinks and music but you can't ever assume others want to here you or your tunes. Glad they left eventually and you could enjoy the spot.

Craig, pretty sure I was on the right road. We met a Tacoma coming down and I talked with him briefly. He was hesitant when I asked him if he thought I could make it with a camper. I have seen photos of some of the stuff you drive, so I know your idea and mine about what is a rough road are far apart.

Darryl, the road may be worse this year. Talked to a guy with a jeep at Scott's Lake that said "that road is horrible" when I told him we tried to go to Crater Lake but didn't make it. We actually tried Crater Lake a while back, based on a trip report you made I believe. Between our lack of off-road driving skills and a heavily loaded truck (firewood, camper legs, all the usual gear), our transmission overheated before we got to the creek. We let it cool for a half hour and then tucked tail and went back down. I'd like to try it again when we get a new truck.

DLN, first thing I asked was whether they were staying overnight. If they were, we would have been gone in minutes. Can't figure out why people do that. I've been known to crank my music up, and have the hearing loss to show for it, but never anywhere that others have to listen to it. Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now.

Wow, the road I remember didnt' look like it would get chewed up that bad in one bad winter. Who knows. Seriously, aholes who camp next to me like that, I have a remedy. I just, cool, guess you won't mind me shooting next to ya then either. Works everytime. And yes, I've done that. Always with safety in mind.

"Get me my pistol and three round balls
I'm gonna shot everybody I don't like at all
Like at all, Like at all"

Just in case you are wondering if I lost my mind I thought I should add that these are song lyrics. So, who sang them?

Hi Ted,

I went to the East Side this weekend, was planning on checking out Crater or Juniper lake from your last trip report but we had a friend who is through hiking the PCT who needed a food drop so we went to the Devil's Post Pile instead to do the food drop and see the monument, it was our first time there. It was nice but probably won't visit there again. I will throw up a few pictures soon. At any rate, the Aspens were just starting to change. The high ones, 9k feet were already changing but the low ones were just starting. I think next weekend they will be gorgeous. We only live an hour and a half from hope valley and we go up every fall to look at the Aspens changing. It's so close to home that we never bother camping but now with the FWC we want to go and make a weekend of it. I saw your post on Hwy 88 about Scott's lake. It was one of the places I pulled out of my Alpine Sierra guide book as a possible camp spot. We may have some folks with us in a two wheel drive toyota pick up and possible one group in a passenger car (not sure on them yet). Would they be able to make the road to Scott's lake or is it 4wd only? Also, how long does it take in and out from Hwy 88 to Scott's lake. I am sure we will be spending a lot of time in Hope Valley proper taking Aspen photos and don't want it to be a half days drive in and out.

Thanks for the Beta,

Rich

Rich,

Your timing is excellent. We were back up there this weekend. Like you, we noticed the colors were just barely starting to change. We are planning to head back to the area on the weekend of the 10th. Probably Hope Valley Friday night and Lee vining area Saturday night. I would prefer to do the Bishop area but we don't have the time to go that far.
As for Scotts Lake, a two wheel drive probably could make it, but we found a new (to us) lake very close by this weekend that I would say is much better. At the intersection of 88 and 89, go south on the dirt road. Follow the main road for five miles to Burnside Lake. Much prettier, the road was recently graded and can easily be done in a two wheel drive, and the fishing was decent. Even the car should have no difficulty if driven carefully. There are not many campsites and it will take some effort to level the truck - blocks and/or rocks, but worth it. There were level areas for tents. The only negative is the fire restrictions right now. I will try to get a photo up soon.

Rich,

Your timing is excellent. We were back up there this weekend. Like you, we noticed the colors were just barely starting to change. We are planning to head back to the area on the weekend of the 10th. Probably Hope Valley Friday night and Lee vining area Saturday night. I would prefer to do the Bishop area but we don't have the time to go that far.
As for Scotts Lake, a two wheel drive probably could make it, but we found a new (to us) lake very close by this weekend that I would say is much better. At the intersection of 88 and 89, go south on the dirt road. Follow the main road for five miles to Burnside Lake. Much prettier, the road was recently graded and can easily be done in a two wheel drive, and the fishing was decent. Even the car should have no difficulty if driven carefully. There are not many campsites and it will take some effort to level the truck - blocks and/or rocks, but worth it. There were level areas for tents. The only negative is the fire restrictions right now. I will try to get a photo up soon.

That sounds perfect Ted, that is just what we are looking for for this weekend. It sounds like a quick in and out to Hope Valley.

Thanks for the info!

Ted,
Thanks for the info! I might check out Burnside lake this weekend if I can get away.
Alex

Hey Alex,

Maybe we'll see you up there! I'm in a green T-100 with an old FWC Fleet on it.

Hi Ted,

From Scott's lake we were planning to hike straight out from there to Big Meadow to see the Aspens. Are there similar good hikes from Burnside or would we have to drive back out to the valley? If we'd have to pack up and drive that may make me lean towards taking my chances with the hard rockin jeepers at Scott's lake :)

We didn't get a chance to hike this weekend so I am unfamiliar with trails around there. I was told there is a trail from the lake to Markleeville Hot Springs, which is only two and a half miles as the crow flies. I think the trail is about five miles one way. I noticed on Google that the road splits just prior to the lake and and goes up and behind it. I had hoped to explore that but we ended up leaving early Saturday as my wife was sick. Because of the good condition of the road, it doesn't take long to make the drive in or out. If the car is still planning on joing you, they may have difficulties clearance wise with the road into Scotts Lake.

You will pass through some small aspen groves on the drive in to Burnside Lake. Most were still green but a couple of areas were yellow. With the drop in temps this week, things should start turning fast. Since fires still are not allowed, expect some chilly evenings this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom