Ext mounting options

remithoren

Advanced Member
I am looking for ideas on what any of you have used the exterior space at the rear on the drivers side of the FWC. I seem to recall brackets for bikes, gas cans etc. We could use some exterior storage, hopefully not adding too much weight.

The issue would be getting behind the fridge for attachments.
thanx,

Attachments

• Hawkrear.jpg
    Hawkrear.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 553
rem,

Don't let the need to pull the refrigerator worry you, I've had ours out twice for various reasons and it isn't really a big deal. A few electrical slip connectors, about 6 screws and of course the gas line. Good luck.

I'm designing a storage rack for the rear that will look something like this. Unitstrut is the structural material and it will have plywood shelves.

Anyone have any concerns or suggestions?

-Buzz

Attachments

• rearrackview01.jpg
    rearrackview01.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 534
  • rearrackview02.jpg
    rearrackview02.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 518
Thanks for your feedback.

I've had to deal with electrolysis issues before. Not indicated in my assembly model is that the aluminum camper skin will still be there and that I will be using non-metalic spacers between the steel Unistrut members and the skin.

I think right now my biggest concerns will be dynamic loads and what to do with the grab handle next to the door. I have an ATC Panther Shell (which I really like); so, there are no access doors in that area.

-Buzz

Fat Tire Beer

You can get by without the grab handle.

I am against screwing anything to the outside of my camper. If external storage is needed, add a utility body under the camper. It that was not enough, tow a utility trailer. If there is a need for a small amount of external storage, rearrange the entire camping equipment setup and find storage inside, so everything can be kept locked inside the truck and camper.

The old style campers (and most of the new ones besides FWC and ATC) do not have stepped floor pacs or bases. My previous two campers had that construction. This leaves storage in the bed often accessible from the rear of the truck. The problem with this is the headache of worrying about theft from this open space, even with a panel added to cover it. Much travel and overnights will be in populated areas inhabited by sticky fingered bipeds. All storage should be lockable with nothing hanging open to view outside. When parking in down town areas, things need to be secure and out of sight.

One of the unspoken advantages of a popup camper is the ability to park in downtown underground garages. I have stealth camped in these garages. One such spot is the underground garage at the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, Gateway to the West. A popup camper goes into a standard parking place underground. This makes a great spot to return to after a night in down town St Louis. It is a good place to sober up. Get those rented Fat Tire Beers out of your system before hitting the road.

Yeh, a storage area beneath the camper may be in the future. I don't want to raise the CG too much, though.

I don't want to store fuel cans inside the camper, either; hence, the external rack.

As far as security goes, I look at the entire camper as being an enclosure with a metal cover. It would be less of a problem to break into the camper than into a box attached to the outside. The door lock just keeps the honest ones out.

-Buzz

One gallon fuel containers fit through the rectangular openings to the forward turn buckles. Fuel containers stored here are not inside the camper.

my answer to remithoren (rear rack multi use)

thought i would share what i use for rear of fwc.as i use camper for what is was designed for it does not bother me to drill, add ,take off or what ever it takes to make our journey better or easier i use ladder at rear to carry different things depending what the trip is to be. the picture shows ladder with removable rack as shown it works for water can.with can off i use it to hold white water inflatable kayak that fit into a army duffel bag,that way after use the wet kayak is outside,with rack off i have a bolt on rack that holds 2 mt bikes,the bracket on top left hold sat ant for tv .to make i used 1"thin wall tubing the top attachment plate is bolted through wall with backing plate,bottom is bolted through floor with backing plate,has been in use since new (2003 fwc eagle shell) that was the reason i started with shell as i knew i would be adding items to make use easier!your use may differ which is why this forum is so great many ideas!!drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Attachments

• DSCF0770.jpg
    DSCF0770.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 425
  • DSCF0771.jpg
    DSCF0771.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 438
  • DSCF0772.jpg
    DSCF0772.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 438
lqhikers,

Thanks for the pics. I agree with you; form follows function.

I like the simplicity and flexibility of your rig.

I saw your earlier roof rack posts and am doing a take-off on your attachment method. I am looking for light weight and flexibility for different configurations to meet the mission.

I want to be able to stand on the roof (collapsed of course). Ben Burnett at ATC said that I could put a piece of plywood directly on the roof surface and it would support my 200 lb just fine. I just gotta make it pretty and durable.

I gotta get a welder!

-Buzz

roof strength issue

buzz this is in response to your thoughts on standing on roof.i had that problem when i had to get on roof to load kayak,what i use is part of my build on the inside. i have added compartments inside at floor level (you can see some of the frame in pictures on the roof lifting thread)the cover for the storage areas are made out of 1/2"plywood covered with indoor/outdoor carpet ,and fit into frame work which is made out of 3/4"angle they lift out and then i use them carpet side down on roof,no slipping ,no scratch on roof(be careful if you use plane plywood as it will slip!),as i have panels that are used to convert bench height storage into bed to use when top is not raised i can cover a large area 0f roof ,also when i have rack mounted basket mounted it is large enough to set on with two people (we use it to watch races etc) that was another reason i edge mounted roof rack bars.going on 5 years of use with no problems,hope this gives you more ideas .as a side bar a wire welder will pay for itself after the first project or two,very easy to use!!drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Back
Top Bottom