Exterior Camper Maintence

SLO_F-250

Hi WTW crew,

Since I have pretty much finished the interior of the camper build, it is time to tackle the exterior maintenance before the 2013 trips start happening. I have a number of questions on what is the best way to do this.

Roof:
I have all new roof screws, and I hear taking each one out, caulking the hole, and re-installing is the best thing to do. Do not over-tighten or I will replace it with a #10. I plan on re-sealing the side wrapping as well.

Exterior Sides:
What is the best method here? Similar "screw" procedure as roof? My main questions if the lack of caulked joints. There seem to be none. My old skamper had every joint caulked, and that is how I re-sealed it. From my maintenance to this point, it seems FWC factory installed weatherstripping at each corner under the aluminum trim/screws. It seems to me that it would be very hard to replace/repair this.

Any other suggestions? My plan is to replace all rubber trip as it id deteriorating, re-seal, and possibly paint.

Pictures will come.
Thanks!

Paul

I can't overemphasize doing the screws on the roof and around the vents. My Grandby developed a leak that took an inordinate amount of time to solve. The culprit was a screw back from where the leak appeared that someone prior had partially stripped the hole and tried to tighten and seal back in place with Teflon tape.

I don't know about the 90's vintage campers but a lot of the 80's vintage like mine had the joint where the roof panel edge went UNDER the fabric on the sides rather than over fabric. What results from this is if the caulk seam along the top of the side trim is gone or otherwise bad the roof will leak along the sides. Another and IMO better fix short of adjusting the roof panel to the outside of fabric, if possible, is to cover the joint with Eternabond, http://www.eternabond.com/RV-Leak-Repair-Products-s/22.htm I've used this stuff with good results on my pre-FWC RV.

While outside, if your camper does not have the black sorta gasket material around the bottom of the roof lip where it comes around the lower unit of the camper when popped down like the new models consider adding it. I have not added it yet but am going too. I've had a little problem with seepage at the front corners onto the bed when driving in a heavy rain. My recently departed partner in crime had the same problem yet worse with his Keystone. He added the black stuff around the front of his roof and about 1/3 of the way down the sides. Problem solved. Somewhere on here is a thread about this same issue.

I've followed both your Skamper and FWC threads and wish you well with your endeavor and look forward to your post.

By the way this is the post concerning the gasket on the bottom I mentioned:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2971/

Dan,

Thank you for the thoughtful reply and response. My apologies on the delay. Been a rough few weeks of work.

Anyways, yes I have the roof seam.
2013-02-12_09-06-56_445_zps27400653.jpg

2013-02-12_09-06-46_422_zpscc842211.jpg

Since these pictures I have removed and cleaned out all the old caulking. I am debating on using the product you mention. Im just not sure how it will look wrapped around the edge.

FWC uses foam weather stripping around all of the accessories and trim. What do you guys recommend for re-sealing this stuff? Just a bead of caulking around the exterior? Take out each screw?

Few picts of what I am talking about.
2013-02-12_09-06-25_765_zpsfb67817c.jpg

2013-02-12_09-06-15_734_zpsdc7bff5f.jpg

2013-02-12_09-06-09_294_zps81abdc6d.jpg

Any Thoughts? My main goal is overall exterior camper maintenance and re-sealing.
Thanks for the help crew!

As you are doing, I too completely reseal my rig. Re & re the screws, with a dab of caulking in each. Along the roof, at the over hang, cleaned off an re caulked.
As for your sides/ last pic's, I removed the trim and installed new butyl tape, put the trim back on and a dab of caulking in each screw hole.
Even re & re the screws that latch the roof down. With the screws on the roof, vents, and the yakima rack, I did not remove those just cleaned around and re caulk. If it ain't broken don't fix it. Think that covers it.

Understand the work thing. I'm frequently encumbered with commitments, placed on me by others and frequently without my prior consent.

This is the link to a revised article I found years ago illustrating eternabond on a roof edge seem. I did the same to fix the same problem on my Tioga. It shows it better than I can describe it.

http://vagabonders-supreme.net/eternabond.htm

Hope it helps and best wishes in your endeavor....

Thank you for the advice replies. I keep you all posted on how everything works out. Its quite a project!

:D

Hey WTW Crew. I finally wrapped up the exterior re-furb of the camper. Lots of work. I removed everything except the door and windows. I took out basically every screw out one at a time, caulked the holes, and replaced the screw. Lots of sanding, cleaning, etc. New roof screws, new caulking at the roof trim joint etc. It was a project!

Link to my build thread on Expedition Portal with more detail and pictures.

But thought I would throw a final pict up here too. The color is Ford Light Prairie Tan. Matches the ole Superduty.
Cheers,

Paul

IMAG0258_zpscdf64810.jpg

IMAG0260_zpscf320bf1.jpg

But thought I would throw a final pict up here too. The color is Ford Light Prairie Tan. Matches the ole Superduty.
Nice. Need to throw a pick up when it's on the truck.

Nice. Need to throw a pick up when it's on the truck.

Thanks,

Here is a shot of it on the truck. Link to my thread on Expedition Portal with more picts and a more thorough explanation of what I did.

IMAG0330_zps7cfa6f6b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom