Exterior Gas Strut Roof Lift Assists

newtofwc said:
Thanks. I guess they know what there doing. I however would think the struts would be better inside. Less moisture and gunk to degrade them. Less chance of snagging on a low hanging branches.. Oh I forgot, you don't have long tendril like branches in the west... :cautious:
I live in GA and do a lot of camping in the SE around low hanging branches. ;)

Stalking Light said:
I live in GA and do a lot of camping in the SE around low hanging branches. ;)
and you take some great pictures. Love the wildlife shots and dsw galleries...

Wandering Sagebrush,
I may move my inside strut to the front outside. Though not a priority at this time. GF and I sleep with the bed pushed in (double) and if we stay in the same place for a few+ days, I pop off the strut near our heads. This give us plenty of room to get in and out of bed. Even with both struts attach and the bed pushed in, I don't see that it's an issue....

My two bits.... I love these lifts. I put them on my 2011 Eagle which required the 40" struts (30 lb). I have the Yakima racks for the canoe and a rack system to carry 3: 2 gallon gas cans. ( my solar panels are on tripods external ) ...
It takes all the pressure off the ply lift panels ... no stress up and down.

It was a long research to get the right struts and the right way to install but I am one happy camper. Here is the the link to the LONG string... head to the end... I have a link to a pdf file that helps if you want to install yourself.
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/9219-roof-lift-gas-struts/

On this camper I put 30# outside on rear and 30# on inside for the front. Good balance point for 1am trip. Nothing on roof. Works fine. Mitch

mitch h said:
On this camper I put 30# outside on rear and 30# on inside for the front. Good balance point for 1am trip. Nothing on roof. Works fine. Mitch
Seems as though this would be the best solution with all of the abuse the front ones would take. :unsure:

I added mine after 8 years of ownership. But, I also added solar panel. I am very happy I added them. I would NOT have put them on the inside.
Chris

buckland said:
I put them on my 2011 Eagle which required the 40" struts (30 lb).
It was a long research to get the right struts ..
Where did you get the 40" struts? I have the 20lb struts ( SUSPA C16-31895) and want to upgrade to 30lb rear and 40lb front!
Did you buy the struts from SUSPA or from FWC? Are they custommade for you?
There are any 40" struts to be found on google :-(

To us it depended on which model. Impossible on the Hawk...Just possible for me on the Eagle and whether the wife could lift the front without them.
She couldn't and with my injured lower back neither could I.

We bought the inside front lifter and use the' speaker ' lift in the rear. Works perfect for us.

downhiller37 said:
Where did you get the 40" struts? I have the 20lb struts ( SUSPA C16-31895) and want to upgrade to 30lb rear and 40lb front!
Did you buy the struts from SUSPA or from FWC? Are they custommade for you?
There are any 40" struts to be found on google :-(
I called SUSPA with the p/n for my 60# strut and asked what were the equivalent 80# and 100# struts. I was able to purchase from Amazon.

Oh my yes indeed. A long story about the Eagle...they need 40" (that's 40 inch) struts...not cheap and very hard to find. So I begged FWC and they were nice enough to send me 4 of them for $50 a piece..... yes I know...not cheap but WAY cheaper than buying from SUSPA as they only sell then as large quantity stock. So it was still worth it for me as the struts are going to save the rest of the maintenance costs on the lift panels. And it is a joy to pop up. If you need any advice on install please feel free to PM a message to me. It took a lot of research but now the install would be a snap. ( I added 2 aluminum plate outside to kick out the lifters and add additional stress support... worth the $10).

I screwed up and posted it twice... not sure how to undo from old post.
Hope this helps

Attachments

• FWC struts pdf2-3.pdf
    183.9 KB · Views: 279
I have a question please :)
I read the very thorough PDF from another post on this subject about installing the struts. In it Butyl tape is used to seal between the plate and camper. I am curious why that is chosen instead of silicon.... Less messy for sure but is it more reliable? Never used the stuff and curious about it :) Thanks.

Have you emailed https://columbiastruts.com/home.php to see if they have 40" struts?

As for the plates, unlike say a fan or vent I'm only concerned with the screw holes, not the whole plate so a dab of silicone in the screw hole seems plenty and may even help keep the screws from loosening up. Nothing against butyl but I don't usually have some laying around.

Back
Top Bottom