External screws?

5 Speed

Advanced Member
I have quite a few of the external screws that I believe use the ¼ inch socket to attach the external material edges that have started to show rust through the white paint? Does anyone know if there is a stainless steel solution to this or will it cause a problem with the aluminum setting up a reaction? I would really like to replace quite a few of them before they rust into place so if anyone knows a bulk solution it would be great.

5 Speed,

I've never heard of any problem with stainless steel corroding alumium. Steel and aluminum do not mix most times. I had the same problem with my camper and since I have it apart, I'm going to replace all the screws with stainless hardware. I bought all mine through boltdepot.com. They have the mill finish or the white painted stainless hardware. Good luck!

Rick

I bought a can of a product called Rust Bullet on Ebay. It is amazing stuff. A one part two coat system and you dont have to go to bare metal. With a tiny brush I put 2 coats of it on every screw and rusted surface on the camper. It actually went very quickly and worked perfectly in stopping the rusted screws around the door and on the top as well as the latches.

Again its pricey but it was a hell of lot easier than replacing all those little screws.

Jay

Wow, that is a good idea to replace those rusting screws....
My idea was to replace them as I modify the camper.....taking care to replace any really rusted ones first. Just takes too long to change them all.

What size and how long are these screws? There has got to be a place locally that I can get a small supply of them. I especially want to use them on the roof, should I mount some solar panels and the like.

I would guess that a little marine sealing goo with the screws would be a good idea?

dave

SS Screws

I built a 9.5 foot camper in the late 90s. All exterior screws are stainless and two marine zinc strips were screwed on in inconspicuous places. Almost ten years later and zero corrosion. Also I was advised to run physical grounds to all fixtures not sure which worked.

Sealing External Screws

5 Speed

While/when you replace the exterior screws you might want to look at the the rest of the thread lenght as well. And if any part of the screw thread is showing signs of rusting/discoloration it means water is finding it's way into the threaded hole and past the screw itself.. This can and does happen.
If the screw is going into wood, this is not good, because over time this may set up deterioration of the wood. (See the posts under: Particle Board)
Before you put in the new screw fill the screw hole (squeeze in from tube or gun) with some latex sealant (because it's easy, water cleanup), then screw in the screw. Clean up around the head with a cloth and water.
Even if you use stainless screws, you still might want to consider doing this, because although the stainless screw itself will not rust, water will still be going past the screw and into the wood, and this is what can lead to trouble!

coopcoyote

screws

Most of the screws are #8 x 3/4". I have talked with a couple of customers that have replaced them with stainless and have had no problem with them.

The latex sealant is an excellent suggestion also.

Will the latex sealant work on the buckles as well??

Jay, did you latex the buckles on the Ranger??

Don't want this(below photo) to happen again...

One of the unpleasant by-products of living at the beach..

Attachments

• DSCN1696.JPG
    DSCN1696.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 457
  • DSCN1699.JPG
    DSCN1699.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 454
As a life long blue water sailor, the subject of corrosion is a constant concern. The word "stainless" means exactly that. These fasteners will stain less than others. In a salt water environment, stainless screws will rust, but less. If stainless fasteners are in contact with aluminum, there will be electroitic destruction of the aluminum.

I am certainly no expert, but I think you guys ought to get more information before changing all those screws to stainless steel. To the best of my knowledge, steel screws commonly used in campers are coated with some kind of plating which helps with the problem of rust and electrolysis. If one must choose between letting the screws show rust and having hidden electrolysis of the aluminum, I choose to replace screws. There is also a coating on some of the aluminum parts on our campers that reduces electrolysis and it is possible to put some kind of anti electrolisis paint into each hole before putting in the fastener.

I really do not know what is best, but I have seen some very expensive aluminum masts on offshore sailboats that need replacing because stainless hardware is in contact with them.

Stainless

John,

Isn't the electrolisis that you speak of caused by the reaction of the salt water on the parts that you mention. I know the stainless screws that I used on my boat did exactly what you explained but I took it to the ocean on a regular basis. Jeff's boat showed no signs of corrosion like mine did and he never went near the ocean with his. Salt water is great for healing cuts but is tough on boats and equipment.

roof clams

Tomas,

Wow, never saw a roof clamp corroded that bad before. I hope someone has some help with that for you. Looks like replacement time for those.

clamps

Tomas,

Again, wow, only five years. Going to have to take that into consideration when selling a camper to someone on the coast. At least let them know of the problem up front until we can come up with an affordable solution.

Thanks for the pics and info.

As I understand, electrolysis is caused by the difference in electrocal potential between the metals, tending to cause an electrical current between the two dissimilar metals, kind of like a battery. Salt water is just a better conductor than fresh water. In truth, there is a lot of bad information out there about this problem and I would very much want to differ to an expert.

In looking at the picture of the lever clamp shown on the camper that lives on the beach, it is clear that some of the screws and hardware suffer more than others. The aluminum appears to have born up pretty well compared to the steel clamp. On the other hand, if the clamp were dismounted, there might be destruction in the aluminum. I just do not know. This is just not a simple little problem and we need a real expert to make a post about this.

As I understand, electrolysis is caused by the difference in electrocal potential between the metals, tending to cause an electrical current between the two dissimilar metals, kind of like a battery. Salt water is just a better conductor than fresh water. In truth, there is a lot of bad information out there about this problem and I would very much want to differ to an expert.

In looking at the picture of the lever clamp shown on the camper that lives on the beach, it is clear that some of the screws and hardware suffer more than others. The aluminum appears to have born up pretty well compared to the steel clamp. On the other hand, if the clamp were dismounted, there might be destruction in the aluminum. I just do not know. This is just not a simple little problem and we need a real expert to make a post about this.

screws

John,

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense that the salt water is a better conductor for the process. I am going to have to do some research into this one for those folks on the coasts.

Thanks again.

Rust is a devious bastard. You would be wise to remove rust, if you can, before any over treatments. Sandpaper, wire brushes work. Then use a rust neutralizer product sold in hardware stores. Naval Jelly brand makes one that neutralizes the rust and then through chemical process becomes a primer coating ready to be painted when dry. In regards to all those little screws, this would be a lot of work. I'd replace the screws w/ stainless and as coop coyote said, fill those holes w/ caulking. I use marine grade caulking, but latex will get you down the road too.
Hayduke

Yikes

:eek: Cheaper and a lot less time consuming to change those clamps out. They are a standard hardware item and easy to find. I had some screws pull out of the frame on a clamp. I went to a larger screw to fix the problem. the other clamps are fine so I have left them alone.

About screws, you may find that some have stripped the material in which they are secured. Go to the next size screw (ie #8 to #6). There will be no need to enlarge the hole in most cases. The screw will take care of that process. Remember that you are torking against the aluminum frame. Too much tork will strip out even the new screw.

Desert Don

Back
Top Bottom