Eye bolt replacement (older Eagle) quandry on backing plate/bolt location

kmcintyre

Since I'm moving my older Eagle camper to my new truck semi-permanenly I figured I'd upgrade the hardware (eye bolts, bolts, backing plates, etc.).

All was going well until the very last eye bolt.

If you are familar with these older Eagles (maybe the new ones are similar) there's a cabinet (about 6" high) under the sink that runs the entire length of the top where teh sink/stover run. It's a smaller cabinet below the taller cabinet.

Well, the eye bolt apparently was/is installed before the cabinets. Now this little cabinet appears to be held in place by about 6 screws. I could unscrew them and pull the cabinet out (I think). Since I'm putting in backing plates I could redrill a hole a bit a and put the backing plate in the new hole area. I don't know about how that would effect the strength with 2 holes near each other plus the eye bolts being "offset" from the other side. In this case I would just cut the exising bolt off.

The better/cleaner solution is to remove the cabinet, take the exising hardware out, put the cabinet back, drill the hole and put the plate on.

Now the other quandry. The new backing plate won't fit under the cabinet where the existing hardware is because that bolt is kind of countersunk so I have to put the backing plate over the cabinet wood. It is hidden but the plate will be sandwiched between the plywood and the cabinet wood. I think the cabinet is probably some type of plywood too so strong enough??????

Kevin

are these the new backing plates that FWC sells? If so, i wouldnt worry about the extra hole. I have backing plates about 1/4 the size of the new ones and forgot :oops: to undo the turnbuckles before jacking up the camper. I lifted the truck before i figured out why it was getting so hard to crank up the camper.

Those new backing plates are HUGE.

Vic Harder said:
are these the new backing plates that FWC sells? If so, i wouldnt worry about the extra hole. I have backing plates about 1/4 the size of the new ones and forgot :oops: to undo the turnbuckles before jacking up the camper. I lifted the truck before i figured out why it was getting so hard to crank up the camper.

Those new backing plates are HUGE.
No these are my home made version. Mine are mostly 4"x4" with a few where the sizing would work 6"x4". The Eagle floor plan makes it difficult to make them much larger. I had to lift some carpet up near the front window to get to that one. The 2 on the other side (opposite the sink) have brackets for storage/bed that limit one to a 4x4, one a 6x4. I put plates on the outside too; minimal additional cost, all grade 8 1/2" hardware, all new eye bolts, lock washers, etc. I have new turnbuckles too which can't come undone and are also drop forged (I think that's what I have).

I have an e-mail into Marty and we'll see what he says too. I may try to get the cabinet out tomorrow as I'm anal about this stuff and hate drilling, cutting, etc. more than I have to.

I've measured about 12 times on where I have to drill for the plates and new eye bolts for the truck. Same thing as the camper. All new hardware.

Kevin

Kevin

I posted a follow-up on my resolution but in short, the cabinet is easy to take out (Marty told me it was). 5 screws on my Eagle. In the end though, the orig. eye bolt hole is right up against the cabinet sidewall so I had to drill a new hole to accomodate my new backing plate/hardware. Done with that mod!

Try RV LIFE Pro Free for 7 Days

• New Ad-Free experience on this RV LIFE Community.
  • Plan the best RV Safe travel with RV LIFE Trip Wizard.
  • Navigate with our RV Safe GPS mobile app.
  • and much more...
Try RV Life Pro Today
Back
Top Bottom