F-150 w/ Panoramic moonroof and Hawk pushing air through moonroof

keg

Hi, curious if anyone else has a similar setup and has experience this issue. I have a 2016 F-150 6.5ft bed supercrew with 2017 Hawk. The front edge of the FWC lines up almost prefect with the seam in the middle of the panoramic moonroof where the front moving glass would slide behind the fixed glass.

At highway speeds, especially with a strong headwind, air is being forced down from the camper and will push that seam so that air actually comes through the moonroof. It's worrisome when it happens because the seam is flexing so much I fear the glass could break.

I've tried putting a Yakima fairing at various positions to try and get the airflow up and over the camper but so far my best fix is putting 5" gorilla tape across the seam in the moonroof. Anyone else experienced this?

Not the same, but similar... I get "oil canning" of the metal roof at 75+ mph, especially when we pass an oncoming semi. I have about 3" clearance between the roof and cab over. Looking to build a fairing this spring.

how is this for a fairing...it is attached to a basket atop a Yakima rack...I did it to stop the wind noise that a regular Yakima fairing was giving me. I carry a stainless steel table, Yaxtrax, leveling blocks and a chair in the basket

Attachments

• Devil's-Tower-truck-(low-rez).jpg
    Devil's-Tower-truck-(low-rez).jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 139
I like the slomo solution a lot! Not only does it keep gusts of wind from impacting a moon roof, it would keep diverting wind from trying to lift the camper from the truck bed and relieve a lot of strain on your tie-down hardware and the plywood in the camper. You can then put additional "stuff" up there in the carrier as he has done.

slomo said:
how is this for a fairing...it is attached to a basket atop a Yakima rack...I did it to stop the wind noise that a regular Yakima fairing was giving me. I carry a stainless steel table, Yaxtrax, leveling blocks and a chair in the basket
Is it the picture, or does your roof have a bit of a "droop" in the middle of it?

Bill D said:
That would defeat the purpose of having an 8.1L engine :)
Bill, you are starting to get to know me a bit too well... :)

Honestly, other than the wind buffeting, the truck doesn't feel the camper at all. When the speed limit is 80mph, I set the cruise for that and only slow down when a big rig is coming the other way. Otherwise, if feels the same as when doing 55. Uphills/downhills, it makes no difference. Love this engine. Fuel economy is an oxymoron though. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom