F150 2.7L payload package plus Hawk

COchris

Hello! First post. I’m almost positive I’m giving up on my original dream of Taco+Fleet and trading my Tacoma for an F150 and changing my loaded Fleet order for a loaded Hawk.

Anyone have experience with the new F150 and a loaded Hawk? I don’t want to go bigger, I don’t think I need to. It looks like I can get the payload up to 2200ish with the super cab 4x4. I’m leaning towards the 2.7L with the “payload package” because I don’t plan on towing anything and seems like a very capable engine for the camper weight.

The Hawk is 1500 empty. With water, food, people, gear I think I can keep it right around MGVW. I’m thinking I can get away with just adding airbags and E load tires instead of the thousands of dollars of mods I had planned for the Toyota and I will sleep easier at night.

F150 people, can you tell me what payload numbers you are actually able to get? I’m afraid when the get the truck the payload will actually be lower than expected.

Thanks

Maybe consider an offroad package chevy colorado and fleet, if you want a mostly stock truck. I'm not sure of the details of the suspension it comes with, but it might work. They've got several different packages related to towing and load and offroad.
I personally am VERY happy I don't have a full size truck out on the trails (I've got a taco/fleet). But I guess there are a lot of different areas people are traveling to, and maybe that's not a concern for you.

The only way to know your legitimate payload is to weigh the truck and then compare against the gross vehicle weight rating. When ordering a new truck does the represented payload decrease as you start adding options? It is possible that the 2200 payload is for a base truck which could weigh several hundred pounds less than an optioned truck. You can get a legit 2000 pounds of payload you should be OK with a Hawk. My Hawk weighs 1600 pounds Including camping gear but no food no water and no toys.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/dam/aem_fleet/en_us/fleet/towing-guides/2021_Ford_RVandTrailerTowingGuide.pdf

Chris, if this helps. My 2014 F150, 3.7L V6, 4x4, super cab, had a max GVWR listed at 6900 with expected payload of 1510 lbs. Sticker showed 1330lbs! My hawk weighs less than yours but it was still pushing it. Added E tires and air bags. Haven't really had any concerns, but I am sure others would not recommend this setup for good reasons.

I think the best thing to do would be find the truck you want and look at the actual sticker in the door. Might be able to look it up by VIN too (a dealer told me this, not sure if is true).

Thanks for the replies! I’m still doing lots of research but I think it’s definitely possible to get to 2000 lbs. Dealers know a lot about tow capacity but not a lot about payload.

Thanks for the info, the dealer I talked to didn’t know about this chart.

It all depends on what your cargo will be. I found that on my Baja trips, I would be make trips into town and return with a full load of water plus extra 5 gal jugs of water and several 5 gal gas cans of gasoline (for my boat) plus restocked with groceries. With all that weight, I would then negociate the road back to the beach whicn would include 25 miles of rough road for a two or three week stay.

You will grow into whatever truck you decide. My first FWC was a Ranger II Shell on a Dodge Dakota and now I have Grandby on a Dodge 2500.

I originally had a 14 F150 super crew 6.5 bed and it had a payload of 1500. We had a Grandby Shell and could be right at weight.. with e rated tires and airbags, the truck was level and drove great.

We got a newer Grandby and it was heavier so I bought a 16 F150 supercab with 8 foot bed and heavy duty payload package. sticker says 2600+ payload, feel much better..

If you are looking used, dealers have no clue about HDPP, but if you can get them to send you the sticker you can figure it out.

Also found the super cabs have the highest payload capacity and 2200 is pretty good..

I looked into the same truck for our loaded Hawk and was warned by our mechanic, a good guy that I trust, that overloading the engine will kill it quickly. With the twin turbo design it’s easy to overstuff the cylinders. OK for a short burst of power but on a long grade with a steady overload, not so much. He suggested the 3.5 EcoBoost.

Ford’s Camper Package requires the 3.5, according to the literature.

I personally think that keeping an eye on the boost and accepting the need to gear down and go slow up the hills would take care of it.

Since I just totaled the truck that was carrying our Hawk I’ve been doing a lot of research on the topic.

The truck I wrecked was the wife’s ‘00 F-150, 5.4 gas, GVWR 7700. With the camper and all the gear I weighed it at 7500. It drove well, no need for bags.

For me personally, I decided to go bigger, not smaller. Just bought an ‘01 F-250 CrewCab with the venerable 7.3l Powerstroke. After shopping a lot on Carfax and doing about 40 hours of research I wanted a truck that could handle it and then some. My reasoning:

-It’s not going to be a daily driver.

-The camper stays on the truck most of the time.

-We use the truck for hauling firewood, building material, junk, etc.

-I flat-out love diesel power, and didn’t want a gas engine that has to rev up high and shift a lot to move the load.

-No plans to crawl or wheel with it, only the necessary 4WD travel to get to trailheads and such. Nothing I can’t do in my Civic (I’ve taken the fully loaded ‘99 Civic places in Moab where the crawlers pull over to let me pass and give me the thumbs up. Just saying, vehicles are generally more capable than we give them credit for.)

Let’s face it: most of the time spent behind the wheel is on the highway, dealing with long grades and headwinds. I wanted a truck that handled that without hesitation.

GVWR is 8800, and this one has air bags too. When I drove it home from Portland I measured mileage at about 15, the dash says 15.7 avg. I can get more with some tuning.

Just put the camper on it and I’m stoked to see how the truck does. Our first trip will be to go back to Portland to retrieve my car.

Hope this helps influence the decision. Just my 2 cents, and everybody’s needs are different. Good luck!

Davehwa said:
I looked into the same truck for our loaded Hawk and was warned by our mechanic, a good guy that I trust, that overloading the engine will kill it quickly. With the twin turbo design it’s easy to overstuff the cylinders. OK for a short burst of power but on a long grade with a steady overload, not so much. He suggested the 3.5 EcoBoost.

Ford’s Camper Package requires the 3.5, according to the literature.

I personally think that keeping an eye on the boost and accepting the need to gear down and go slow up the hills would take care of it.

Since I just totaled the truck that was carrying our Hawk I’ve been doing a lot of research on the topic.

The truck I wrecked was the wife’s ‘00 F-150, 5.4 gas, GVWR 7700. With the camper and all the gear I weighed it at 7500. It drove well, no need for bags.

For me personally, I decided to go bigger, not smaller. Just bought an ‘01 F-250 CrewCab with the venerable 7.3l Powerstroke. After shopping a lot on Carfax and doing about 40 hours of research I wanted a truck that could handle it and then some. My reasoning:

-It’s not going to be a daily driver.

-The camper stays on the truck most of the time.

-We use the truck for hauling firewood, building material, junk, etc.

-I flat-out love diesel power, and didn’t want a gas engine that has to rev up high and shift a lot to move the load.

-No plans to crawl or wheel with it, only the necessary 4WD travel to get to trailheads and such. Nothing I can’t do in my Civic (I’ve taken the fully loaded ‘99 Civic places in Moab where the crawlers pull over to let me pass and give me the thumbs up. Just saying, vehicles are generally more capable than we give them credit for.)

Let’s face it: most of the time spent behind the wheel is on the highway, dealing with long grades and headwinds. I wanted a truck that handled that without hesitation.

GVWR is 8800, and this one has air bags too. When I drove it home from Portland I measured mileage at about 15, the dash says 15.7 avg. I can get more with some tuning.

Just put the camper on it and I’m stoked to see how the truck does. Our first trip will be to go back to Portland to retrieve my car.

Hope this helps influence the decision. Just my 2 cents, and everybody’s needs are different. Good luck!
I like your reasoning, I certainly would have went F250 if my camper was on full time, or I didn't need my truck for work.

I also agree about the ecoboost motor.. I love the 5.0, it has plenty of power, gets solid mpg and is reliable..

My new 2021 F150 Supercrew 6.5 foot bed (heady duty payload package) came in at 2487 lbs rated payload (window sticker). this wasn't a huge difference from the numbers provided by Ford in their materials. They had this model rated for 2640 max.

When I looked at the Ford web site about two weeks ago it did not appear that the increased payload package is available with the 2.7. Without that package, the legal payload of the truck is well under 2000 lbs.

Awesome! I ordered mine 3 weeks ago, not sure if I’ll get it in time though. I keep reading about significant delays due to the chip shortage. How long did it take to get yours?

Actually Jon, the 2.7L with the “payload package” has a MGVW of 7050 and with my options I’m hoping to get a payload of 1800-2000. I’ll still have to add airbags and pack light but it’s a whole lot better than my Tacoma’s 950lb payload.

Chris,
I ended up not ordering one from a dealer. I found one one a lot in Salt Lake City, out of state, and did the 8 hours round trip to pick it up. Wasn't that easy to find one. Dealers told me they weren't any available (not true). The Ford inventory search function is definitely pretty clunky but eventually found one. Mine is a 3.5L ecoboost (7850 GVWR).

I was getting a lot of mixed messages from dealers regarding delivery date, anywhere from 2 months-5 months. One dealer told me if I did order it would be a model year 2022?! Check out https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/, people are tracking their orders on the site.

Best,

Luke

COchris said:
Awesome! I ordered mine 3 weeks ago, not sure if I’ll get it in time though. I keep reading about significant delays due to the chip shortage. How long did it take to get yours?

Like your ideas and thoughts there Davehwa. Kinda where we are at as well Dodge diesel with hawk ,,,,,,park ride hike float ski. Yet to each his or her own and that is the beautiy of it......complete customization Hoopy

My 2013 Hawk FD sits full time on my 2012 F150 XLT 3.7L SC 4x4. On every hunting trip, I get it to it's max GVWR (6900#). It has E-tires and airbag but was a bit "swayee". After adding Stableload on the rear springs it handled much better. I drive into some gnarly roads deep in the wilderness and it handles just fine. However, I will get his bigger brother (F250) next year, easing up on being a minimalist.

COchris said:
After a similar experiences trying to locate a truck and doing a lot of research, we ordered a 2021 SuperCrew XLT with 6.5ft bed and HeavyDutyPayloadPackage (HDPP) for our 2018 Hawk. We ordered in early January and it showed up on 1st of May - so about 4 months later.

The max payload for this config (with 3.5L EcoBoost) was 2650lb and final as equipped was 2425lb. Getting a SuperCrew over 2000lb is not really possible w/o the HDPP

I have researched and plan on ordering a supercab with a 6 1/2' box and the 2.7 ecoboost with the payload package to replace my rusting out 2011 chevy. I weighed my hawk with my truck fully loaded at the local feed mill last fall and it's 1600 lbs including the water. Ford says the payload package is rated for 2165 lbs. That should work fine for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom