Fabricated Rear Bumper with Swingarms

Desert Rider

Finally got my rear bumper modified with dual swingarms. I had a local welder beef up my existing Reneul (now Buckstop) bumper, add custom machined spindles, and then build/mount the swingarms to hold a larger spare tire, two storage boxes and a bikerack.

Included in the bumper mod are:

- An Aluminess aluminum storage box (24”W X 16”D x 20”H),will hold 2000W generator.
- An Alu-Box (42L) aluminum storage case (23"W x 15"D x 9.5"H), which is easily removable.
- An Eezi-Awn - mount to secure/lock the Alu-Box to the top of the Aluminess box.
- One RotopaX gas can.
- One 1Up-USA bike rack, the rack and support are removable.
- Welded-in 2” receiver hitch.
- Smittybuilt Beaver Step/recovery hook.

Probably added about 300+ pounds to the existing bumper, including spare tire, two storage boxes (empty), gas can and step. Once the storage boxes were loaded, the truck seems to handle the added weight just fine.

Emptied my wallet in the tune of about $800 for the fabrication work which included labor and materials. Much cheaper than purchasing a new bumper with dual swingarms,and it was built to my specs with lots of good adventure stories and liquid refreshments along the way!

Attachments

• Rear Bumper  1.jpg
    Rear Bumper 1.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 577
nice set up, glad to see someone who does not worry about weight!
But would not look forward to cleaning after a good run down a silty road.

Les,lqhikers

Having trouble adding more pics here, so additional photos can be viewed on the Expedition Portal Forum in the General Vehicle Modifications Section

Nice
I wish I had something like that to store all the extra stuff

Looks great! I've been looking into a similar mod on my 2017 Tacoma but have been told by Aluminess that they don't have a version available for this year of Taco. I'll try Buckstop who you mention. Your mod is the best way to deal with bikeracks in my opinion. I already have the 1-up.

Back
Top Bottom