Factory Lift

Kilroy

Saw this last weekend while visiting Sean at Go Anywhere in WI. Factory has come out with a lift assist. Hope this isn't old news, I didn't find it anywhere on the forum.

The lift consists of mounts with a couple of struts that assist in lifting the roof. Amazing what a difference it makes. Sean said if your really lifting a load up there you can have two assists added.

While you might think the struts get in your way while using the camper, they really don't. Your confined to standing in the middle anyway and there is plenty of head room, see pic of Sean.

There is some intrusion into the sleeping area when the extended bed is pulled out. I would think you could sleep around it easy enough.

Nice simple, effective solution without carrying a bunch of extra stuff to store.

Attachments

• FWC lift 1.JPG
    FWC lift 1.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 600
  • FWC lift 2.JPG
    FWC lift 2.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 612
lift assit

I have this system on my new Hawk. It works great. You can remove both struts very easily once the top is up. I can remove both struts in about 45 seconds, and store them behind the couch.

Cool!

Is there a weight limit that you can put on the roof still with the assist? If I could get a rocket box up there and keep it up there I would love to retrofit. If anyone else has this, would love to see your roof setup.

Dave in Seattle

When the first images were shown of this, there seemed to be universal skepticism due to the perceived reduced headroom while using the bed. IMO, a lift assist would be worthwhile as I have had trouble with having items on the roof making the lift very difficult. However, I would still like to hear from someone who has spent some time with the system and their opinion on whether it gets in the way when sleeping (or the likelihood of hitting your head on the mounts when sitting up).

Are the struts only on one end?

That lift assist systems looks like the hatchback supports I have on our 1998 Pontiac TransSport... they are called Gas Struts or Gas Charged Lift Supports.

Less than $20 each => http://www.autopartsbylou.com/lift-supports-products.php?make=PONTIAC&model=Trans+Sport&year=1998&type=mmy&x=13&y=18

The above web site (AKA LiftSupportsDepot.com) also has a "Commercial, Industrial, Tonneau covers, Campers" button to click on. For exampe, I picked a 18.5" length => http://www.autopartsbylou.com/lift-supports-products.php?ext=18.5&x=18&y=13&type=uni

Of course I have no clue what the extended and compressed length and lift force would be needed in whatever model of camper you have.

Mike

lift assist

Once the struts are removed, they are not in the way at all.

I originally ordered the system, but after seeing how intrusive the struts were, I cancelled it.

When I went to have my Hawk installed, and saw how easy the struts were to remove, I had them install the system.

As for you folks that are wondering about retrofitting the system....it is simple.

It took about 1 1/2 hours to install my Hawk, and about 1 more hour to install the roof assist system.

Strut length??

Could you measure the length of the struts in their extended and compressed positions and let us know??

THANKS!

Delta Rat, I wonder if the brackets are proprietary or available elsewhere? Hey Stan give it up what size struts and where do we get the brackets? Some of us old guys might want to retro fit the lift system now that you've R&D'd it.

Same strut for all three ceiling hieghts? Just move bracket in toward the center.

(Eagle/Ranger. Kestrel, Hawk/Grandby/Keystone)

lift system

The lift system is just one set of struts in the position pictured (not front and back, just towards the front).

The extended length is 36", compressed length 26".

I've included some photos of the brackets.

The struts are at full extension when the roof is up, that makes them real easy to remove, since you don't have any tension on them at all.

There is also a photo of the markings on the strut.

Attachments

• lift4.jpg
    lift4.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 375
  • lift3.jpg
    lift3.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 403
  • lift2.jpg
    lift2.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 407
  • lift1.jpg
    lift1.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 406
They tried putting struts on both the front & the back, but the rear just didn't do much.

Then they tried the struts in only the front and it seems to work well.

They are easily replaceable if they wear out down the road, and if you shopped around you could also find higher pressure ones.

We have tried 20 lbs - 100 lbs. (I think) -- the higher pressure set wouldn't allow the roof to lower. You almost had to hang on it to get it to come down.

What we are using now seems to do the trick.

I don't think these gas struts will work for every type of customer / every need / every camper, but for some they will work well.

We had a customer pick up his Eagle Model last week and he had a Yakima Rocket Storage box on the roof filled with gear -- the box was mounted towards the rear of the camper. It was too heavy to lift the rear. We thought about adding the struts, but they would have just been an additional cost for the customer and would not have helped him much at all since all of the weight was in the back.

I would think with a little guidance from our service dept., most customers could install these on their own aftermarket.

The struts and brackets are stock from the company we order them from, and then we cut a small aluminum plate to mount the attachment bracket to the camper walls and roof cross board.

This is same as (copied from ? :)my lift, check out the photos posted early '07 - someone must have been interrested because I see >6000 hits. I centered my lifts in the middle of the roof because that is my entire lift system (no spring loaded panels). Has worked well for ~5yrs without noticeable loss of force. Same type gas springs used alot in automotive applications like hatches, hood of my F-350 so should last for many yrs.

FWC assist appears nearly horizontal when down so wouldn't (?) provide much initial lift because force is entirely horizontal but as end panels lift some then the mechanism would seem to work.

I think anyone should be able to buy the components and fab themselves. I got my stuff from Austinhardware.com but they changed their web site last time I looked and it is not as easy to find what you want, I think they mostly sell to businesses.

leadsled9 thanks for the photos.

Don't tell me they just mounted that bracket right over the Artic Pac?? Bummer down the road when you want to remove it.

Attachments

• lift3.jpg
    lift3.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 281
Yes, I thought that too, but I doubt I'll ever remove the arctic pack.....it keeps the camper cooler in the summer, and warmer in the winter.....but if I ever do need to remove it, it will be more work.

I had the struts installed in the front and I love them.due to the fact I have a badBack and hand. Now my wife can lift the front. New problem I just had back surgery again and the wife cant lift the backend up. "Question" has anyone thought about installing strut on the back outside corners ? I realy need to come up with a solution to get the back up easy. I will be out of work and I need to hit the road. any thoughts would help.

Back
Top Bottom