Falcon on a Chevy S10 questions?

Rockjok

Advanced Member
I have a Chevy S10 extended cab (not 4-door) with a 6 foot bed and am considering a used Falcon shell model. I'm looking for the minimum weight and size that will allow for standing up as well as sleeping.

One thing that concerns me is that the overcab portion may be farther forward than, for example, the Eagle model. Could this be a problem if the front of the camper is just a bit behind the top of the windshield rather than about halfway back along the cab roof?

Another thing is that the camper may not fit all the way to the front of the bed due to the wheelwells. I've searched for dimension information on the lower rear part of the falcon shell without success. I'm concerned that I may run into center of gravity problems if there's a gap at the front of the bed. Does anyone have info on where the fore/aft CG point is on the empty shell?

My pickup squats with a 450 lb motorcycle so I'm kinda planning on airbags.

I'd appreciate any comments about potential problems with this setup as I'm a bit of a novice where pickup campers are concerned.

Thanks,

Rob

Hey Rockjok

There should be no problem putting a Falcon Model on the 6' bed.

The camper probably won't push all the way forward in the bed, but it might on that model.

I can see any center of gravity issues.

Remember, the Falcon Model does not have access port holes for turn buckles -- we usually use 4 bolts and bolt the camper to the truck bed.

You could use external camper tie downs if you wanted as long as the camper has the mechanical camper jacks, or at least jack brackets.

I just saw a video on youtube last night of somene that has a very similar set up. See video clip here ...

hope this helps

Welcome to the forum Rockjok. One of the members here has a S-10 with a FWC on it. Maybe you can PM them for some advise. jimandsue60.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Rob

I have a 2003 S-10 4X4 extended cab and a FWC. I put two 1X2's in the front of the truck bed to keep the camper from pushing against the top rail of the truck bed.

I have Super Springs which carry the load of the camper very well. The first time I installed the SSprings the bolt on the back right hand side would bang against the trail pipe when the camper was on the truck. While idling, the tail pipe sounded like it was being attacked by a hungry woodpecker. The fix was to switch that spring around so the head of the bolt was facing out towards the tail pipe. Before I installed the SSprings I was using Timbren suspension enhancement system It worked fine for most situations however with the camper on it sounded and felt like it bottomed out with minor bumps.
The marker for the center of gravity on my camper would be just forward of the trucks axle.

Tim, Reno NV suffering from PMS (parked motorcycle syndrome) and camping deprivation.

We have an 03 S-10 ZR2 and an eagle. I can't help you with the hawk questions. I originally installed helwig helper springs and still had to loosen the front torsion bar bolts to level the truck. I wasn't happy with it.

I then took the helwigs off and had the rear springs rearched and a leaf added. Now the rear sits about 4 inches higher (normal no load height) and the front torsion bar bolts are close to max tightness. The truck is level. The ride is firm but comfortable. The camper stays on the truck so I don't know what the ride is like without the camper, probably harsh. There are some pictures on my picture page link below.

Jim

One thing that concerns me is that the overcab portion may be farther forward than, for example, the Eagle model. Could this be a problem if the front of the camper is just a bit behind the top of the windshield rather than about halfway back along the cab roof?

Thanks,

Rob

My Ranger FWC sticks out way further than the windshield on the '83 Toyota pickup

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2189#post2189

Attachments

• b-4_tule_side.jpg
    b-4_tule_side.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 956
  • FrontView2.jpg
    FrontView2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 826
  • tule_back.jpg
    tule_back.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 913
  • tule_front.jpg
    tule_front.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 886
  • tule_side.jpg
    tule_side.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 860
Thanks for your advice! I picked up my "new" Falcon shell last weekend. I tried the fitment in the center of the bed where the shell cutout hits the fenderwells of the truck and decided I was losing too much useful space. I then moved the shell all the way back but the handling was funky. I ended up cutting out another 8 inches on the bottom of the camper and now it fits against the front of the bed.

I made a bunch of trips to the DOT scale for axle weights and in the final configuration I'm 20 lbs underweight on each axle. Made me very happy, now I can move my gear around to modify the CG for different conditions.

There's just the right amount of room between the camper and the tailgate for propane, gas, a battery, and a generator if needed. I put a set of Air Lift bags on and they're working well to eliminate the sag in the rear end. Currently I'm cobbling together a home made arctic pack and will be tackling the wiring and propane systems soon. I'm also seeking a Thule or Yakima rack system to build an air dam on top of the cab, pvstoy's setup seems to be just the thing.

Hopefully I'll have the "DOGHOUSE" operational soon.

Rob

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_0208.jpg
    Copy of IMG_0208.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 3,195
  • Copy of IMG_0214.jpg
    Copy of IMG_0214.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,762
  • Copy of IMG_0247.jpg
    Copy of IMG_0247.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 1,956
  • Copy of IMG_0256.jpg
    Copy of IMG_0256.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 6,289
Wooohooo!

Great to see you got the camper Rob! Add another 4WC to the Bozeman area.

Let me know if you ever want to go camping, I'm always up for it.

looks good. i am sure you will like the extra space in the truckbed.

Good idea spending some time on the scales. I was working a site that just happened to have a truck scale. Weighed mine and pleasantly surprised to find I'm almost perfectly balanced.

Back
Top Bottom