Fall 2016 - Wyoming & Montana

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!
Our trip is planned and we will spend 2 weeks traveling through Wyoming and Montana. First I want to send out a big thank you for the following who helped plot our course:

Stew - we will be spending 2 days outside Lander, WY along the Wind River Range, camping sites either boondocking or staying along the Poco Agie River (Sinks Canyon SP) to get some fly fishing in. We have a couple of spots to consider staying and will just go with the flow.

Ski - We will be taking your recommended Lander Cut-Off and driving up to Green River Lakes and staying at the campground, some more fly fishing and hiking along the lake on the Continental Divide Trail. We are only spending one night there.

Frank - We have taken your recommendation to stay at Gros Vedre campground and will be spending 2 nights exploring Grand Teton NP, visiting Morman Row and Menors Ferry Historic District. Taking the gondola up into the mountains, maybe the boat across Jenny Lake. Plan on getting in some fly fishing on the Gros Ventre River. From there we are heading through Yellowstone and staying one night at Madison Campground, get some more fishing in. Discovered that you have to have a special fishing permit in Yellowstone NP so we will have to stop when we enter the park.

Foy - we will be traveling to Melrose and up into Vipond Park where we plan on spending one night, before dropping down to Dewey and Hwy 43, stopping at the Nez Pez Battlefield and up through the Bitterroot Valley to Lake Como for a night. We will head across the pass to Philipsburg to visits some mines and the local brewery, and then heading up Rock Creek, spending a night at Bitterroot Flat Campground and getting more fishing in.

Still leaving the door open to visit Missoula, MT before heading to Big Timber, MT. There we will visit my cousins ranch and another cousins cabin on the Boulder River. The last night at the Grand Hotel before heading home, with stops at Devils Tower, WY, Mount Rushmore, and Wind Cave.

A lot packed into 2 weeks with a couple of travel days on each end. We welcome any recommendations for these areas that we might be able to fit in.

Thanks, jd

You didn't mention my favorite road/area in that country....Beartooth Pass. After fighting the crowds in YNP and GTNP this area is like heaven on earth.

http://www.travelwyoming.com/listing/yellowstone-national-park/beartooth-scenic-highway

IyQfzjU.jpg

Z3F1GbB.jpg

JD sounds like you have a nice trip planed
A good place to fish is the Firehole River between the Nez Perce picnic area and the pool just above the falls of the Firehole.
Just pull off and park wherever there is safe room. I have had good luck along that stretch of the river.
Check the "regs" book for where you can fish. Also the water at the Madison CG has some nice spots right at the campground.
The Madison heading out to "West" has a fly only spot that you might try.
Enjoy the trip.
I am envious. No Yellowstone this year,oh well.
Frank

rotti said:
You didn't mention my favorite road/area in that country....Beartooth Pass. After fighting the crowds in YNP and GTNP this area is like heaven on earth.

http://www.travelwyoming.com/listing/yellowstone-national-park/beartooth-scenic-highway

IyQfzjU.jpg

Z3F1GbB.jpg
Rotti, great suggestion. We have traveled it 3 times in 2012, once through the YNP and stopping in Red Lodge for dinner. The drive was through dense fog. Then later in the week we went down and back from Red Lodge to Cooke City for lunch and then back to Red Lodge for dinner and back to Big Timber. I thought about it, but our planned trip itinerary would have required us backtracking. That would be a great start to run it and then head up to Glacier and doing the Going to the Sun Road. jd

longhorn1 said:
.....and then head up to Glacier and doing the Going to the Sun Road. jd
Ahh, Going to the Sun....my second favorite road!

What is nice about the Beartooth is all the 4wd roads and boondocking opportunities up on top.

aGhpKr6.jpg

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
JD sounds like you have a nice trip planed
A good place to fish is the Firehole River between the Nez Perce picnic area and the pool just above the falls of the Firehole.
Just pull off and park wherever there is safe room. I have had good luck along that stretch of the river.
Check the "regs" book for where you can fish. Also the water at the Madison CG has some nice spots right at the campground.
The Madison heading out to "West" has a fly only spot that you might try.
Enjoy the trip.
I am envious. No Yellowstone this year,oh well.
Frank
Frank, I have attached a close up of the Madison/Fire Hole/Gibbons River. Is the picnic area you are referring to, the furthest North of the two picnic areas just above the words "Fountain Flat Drive"? If I understand it is between the pool above the falls and the picnic area. I figure between the campground and your suggestion I should have some fun. I do have to stop and pick up a YNP fishing license for the day. Wish our schedule would allow more time. jd20160708_091931_resized.jpg

September 23rd, Wyoming 9/25 - 9/30 and Montana 10/1 - 10/7 and home 10/9

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

JD, anywhere along that stretch of the Firehole down stream from the picnic area.
While you are in Madison CG the "3" rivers area in the meadow area at the campground have some nice fish.
One place I had luck last fall was just after the island on the Gibbon where it and the Firehole meet,there are rapids
that have some nice fish.
Let the water take your fly into the calmer water toward the Madison.
Watched several fishers take some nice fish there.
If you had the time the Gibbon in the Norris CG area also has some nice spots that seem to get little use,but have nice fish.
The info about fishing the Firehole was given to me back in 06 by a "guide" who was fishing next to us on the Madison "fly only" area on the way to West. Every time we go to Yellowstone I always spend as much time as I can on the Firehole,with great luck.At least I get hits and a few hooked.
Good luck.
Frank

One spot that was relayed to me several years ago in YNP is to camp at the Slough Creek Campground. It is a small campground with about 13 spots if I remember correctly. From the back of the campground there is a 2-3 mile trail up to Slough Creek.
The fishing is fantastic up there as most people won't put in the effort.

Bugs can be an issue up there also but it is worth it!

Slough has always been full when I checked it out but the hike is worth it. One year a grizzly walked parallel to us about 200 yards away for most of the hike, so take bear spray. [emoji6]

Thanks guys. Frank mentioned Slough Creek also, but we are only spending one night in YNP (Madison CG). This site is so great, with all the suggestions, others trip planning with future ideas and Trip Reports. I always feel funny about posting a weekend trip to an Indiana State Park, when Ski posts about a short July trip with pictures of Golden Trout and bald eagles, GroovyDad and hot springs and many others. Not a lot in Indiana. Thanks for the ideas. jd

longhorn1 said:
<snip>
I always feel funny about posting a weekend trip to an Indiana State Park, when Ski posts about a short July trip with pictures of Golden Trout and bald eagles, GroovyDad and hot springs and many others. Not a lot in Indiana. Thanks for the ideas. jd

Please, please, please never feel funny about posting your trip stories! Your trips are just as good and fun to see as any other posted here. We love them, look forward to more, and can't wait for fall to come because we'll know you are out having a great time!

And all these tidbits that folks are posting about fly fishing...........I'm taking notes. :)

Ski, I'm headed over to Brookville Lake this afternoon to trout fish the Brookville tailwaters, below the dam. First time to wear my waders. Hopefully Susan will get to take a couple photos. jd

You will probably want to fish the Yellowstone that time of year also. lake rainbows and brown trout are making their spawning runs around that time. It's also a treat to be chest deep in the water and see a group of bison crossing towards you. :eek:

longhorn1 said:
Ski, I'm headed over to Brookville Lake this afternoon to trout fish the Brookville tailwaters, below the dam. First time to wear my waders. Hopefully Susan will get to take a couple photos. jd

Make sure you take and use a wading stick.The bottoms on a lot of the streams can/are slippery,especially in some of the warmer waters of Yellowstone.
I have walked that trail up Slough Creek and there are some nice spots,but with the time you have it would be out of the way.
Save it for a longer visit,as it's well worth spending time in the Lamar Valley.With Slough and Pebble Creek campgrounds there,it's a great spot. Lots of animals and some great choices of water to fish.
Frank

This is a bit off target, but I ended up going over to Brookville Tailwaters to fish yesterday afternoon. First time with my waders and boots, and first time in a river. I did get a nibble and reacted too slowly, so I consider this a success. Got to watch a blue heron land in a tree and along the river bank and numerous ducks. All in all a great way to spend part of the afternoon and get myself ready for Wyoming and Montana.20160709_165905_resized.jpg

I'll be traveling vicariously along with you, especially to Vipond Park. I hope it lives up to the advanced billing!

As recently as last year, Montana had not banned felt sole wading boots. Either felt sole or steel spikes are a terrific advantage over rubber soled wading boots, which we call "dancing shoes".

Any of the smaller feeder streams are likely to be full of aggressive brook trout. Dabbling there will likely produce a mess of supper in a short time. They're non-native and are considered trash fish in Montana (!), the limit is 10 or more a day, and nobody looks askance at you when you drop them in your creel. The browns, rainbows, cutthroat, and the hybrid cutbows--practically all are released.

Have a ball and safe travels!

Foy

Back
Top Bottom