Fall color US 395 10/2/2014

pvstoy

California US 395:
We took a drive today (Thursday, October 2) south on U.S. 395 from Carson City to check out the fall color. We made it down to Bishop. Here's what we found:

Overview: generally, the aspens were mostly green, although there were some pockets of color and a couple prime places.

Conway Summit: Green. Some aspens on the slopes above Conway Summit had already lost their leaves or didn't have much in the way of vibrant color.

Lundy Canyon: we didn't drive in since the aspens along U.S. 395, and those at the mouth of Lundy Canyon that you can see from the main highway, were mostly green with no vibrant color.

Convict Lake: mostly green, a little bit of yellow showing, nothing spectacular.

Town of Hilton Creek (near Crowley Lake): mostly green, starting to show yellow.

Rock Creek: Nearly peak at the upper end of the road, around the lake, but we didn't find anything that inspired a photo.

Bishop Creek & Lake Sabrina: The town of Aspendell is green. The slopes uphill from it have some color on the larger aspens but the smaller aspens that cover a large area have already dropped their leaves, likely from last weekend's snow and cold weather. There were a few patches of color along the road and the color was prime at where the road crosses the creek draining out of Lake Sabrina. Trees at the lake were prime.

North Lake: Large aspen grove above the lake was past prime, half bare. There was some nice color in the area and the aspens around the lake are just past prime and made some nice reflections.

South Lake: some nice color along the left side of the road, just past Bishop Creek Lodge, near the waterfall but it will be better in about a week as there is still lots of green. Some nice yellows farther up the road.

1034075.jpg

one of the road crosses the creek draining out of Lake Sabrina
1034076.jpg

North Lake reflections
1034077.jpg

Up to South lake just past Bishop Creek Lodge

You can find more on Fredmiranda.com http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1318544/7

Thanks for the report, Patrick. I wondered how it went today after I saw your message at oh' dark thirty this morning.

Maybe there's still hope for us to catch some west coast color after we take in some east coast color!
I'm getting excited about the beginning of our trip in Vermont. A friend just returned from upstate NY and told me the colors were peaking.

With luck we'll get the camper mounted up and catch the last of the color at lower elevations toward the end of the month. I've seen some nice late color down in the creek canyons leading to Mono Lake . . .

Thanks, We ended up returning home yesterday with a 420 mile trip. Gas is $4.899 in Bridgeport but not at the Shell. The Shell station has chained link fence around the pumps but shows $4.999 for gas. Bishop is around $3.839. My gal wanted a burger at Whiskey Creek in Bishop but only to find out that they went out of business (Mammoth Lakes also).

You never know how much time you'll have, too many factors. Some hard freezes and wind and most could be gone.

The color may not be as rich as it may be later ,but you posted some nice shots.
Plan to head over to Heannen Res for next week end. Maybe the aspens there might be in good color.
Thanks for the pictures.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom