Fall foliage trip next week High Sierra Hwy 395.

billharr

Next week we are going to take a trip to look at the fall foliage. Monday night in Hope Valley then make our way south over Monitor Pass and along 395. Plan on going as far south as the June Lake loop. Plan on coming back over 120 or 108.

Looking for campground suggestions for Tuesday and Wednesday night.

I just got back today, although i didn't do Hope Valley. By next week Monitor Pass will be pretty much done, leaves were dropping heavily today as I went across. Virginia Lake is all done, most of the leaves are gone. Lundy lake is only fair, not too much color. Dunerburg Meadows Road is almost done, although there's nice color at the Meadow and mountainside.. Upper Summers Meadows Road is very nice if you drive way back in. June Lake Loop is still green in parts and full color in others. If you have an extra day, drive to Bishop and go up to South Lake. The colors are spectacular all along the road and at the lake. If I only had one day, then I'd go to South Lake. Have fun..

I just spent two days west of Bridgeport, CA, at Buckeye Hot Springs and the aspens weren't all that spectacular. There were a few trees that were golden, but most were either still totally green or completely bare.

You'll probably have better luck at higher elevations. I wish you the best and I'm looking forward to seeing your photos!

We were there last week and the colors were amazing. We spent out first night at the Lone Pine campground at the base of Mt Whitney. Second night at the east fork campground near Rock Creek lake. It was so beautiful there and about 9,200 feet in altitude. Third night we stayed at a hotel in Bridgeport and the last night back at Lone Pine Campground. On this slideshow
5 minute in, you will see my camper near a grove. It was on the way to Virginia Lakes right out of Bridgeport. Don't know if it's legal to boondock there but the was a spent fire ring.

May see some of you on the road next week. We hope to leave Monday around noon and head for Hope Valley. Tuesday and Wednesday some where on or off 395. We will head back Thursday morning.

Back
Top Bottom