Fan in Fridge

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie
Site Team
Today while de-constructing my old PC tower to go to the recycle place, I came across the 12v fans inside one large and a nice 3" or so small one.
The smaller one only draws 0.25a's.
The question, has anyone tried to use one of these in the 3 way fridge to circulate the air?

What are some ideas.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Today while de-constructing my old PC tower to go to the recycle place, I came across the 12v fans inside one large and a nice 3" or so small one.
The smaller one only draws 0.25a's.
The question, has anyone tried to use one of these in the 3 way fridge to circulate the air?

What are some ideas.
Frank
Seems like a good idea. Seems like circulating air would be a good thing, make the temperature more uniform.
I actually bought a large (120 mm) computer fan for this very purpose...but I never followed through on it.
I don't want to drill a hole through the wall of the fridge, but wires would be thin enough that the door gasket could seal around them, I think.
Do it, Frank!

MarkBC said:
Seems like a good idea. Seems like circulating air would be a good thing, make the temperature more uniform.
I actually bought a large (120 mm) computer fan for this very purpose...but I never followed through on it.
I don't want to drill a hole through the wall of the fridge, but wires would be thin enough that the door gasket could seal around them, I think.
Do it, Frank!
Thanks Mark. Make me the guinea pig.
I think the wires would be no problem through the gasket. The fan wires are very thin.
I don't want to drill any holes either.
How would you wire it? Maybe over to the fuse panel and place a toggle switch on it?
Any thoughts.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
...How would you wire it? Maybe over to the fuse panel and place a toggle switch on it?
Any thoughts.
Frank
I know that my camper fuse panel has at least a couple of unused circuits, so yeah... and a toggle switch sounds like a good idea. I'm not qualified to give wiring advice beyond that general suggestion, though... ;)

This is the fan I removed from an old computer.
How about some ideas on using this in the fridge .
Some wiring ideas also.
It's a small fan about less than 3"
Thanks Frank

Attachments

• photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 98
I think they do make some battery powered fans to put in there.

Here's a guy who drilled a hole in his fridge to install a fan just like that.

I'm not quite that brave to drill into my new compressor fridge for a fan.
I might try a battery fan though to see if that helps.

One aspect that I was wondering about is where in the fridge -- top or bottom -- should the fan be placed and, related to "where", what direction should it be blowing?
Probably anywhere and any direction would help with temperature uniformity...but I bet there's an optimum location.
Maybe attach to the underside of a shelf? If near the top of the fridge, then pointing down?
I guess "Where" will depend on the design of the fridge -- location of freezer.

billharr said:
I always used a battery fan in my 3 way fridge. Made a big difference and kept the temp even. Have not needed on my DC compressor fridge.
Any idea why the difference in temperature-uniformity (between the 3-way and the DC), Bill?

Back
Top Bottom