fan install

mitch h

Hi guys. Picked up a real nice 2007 grandby last weekend. It's a shell with a couch and cabnet. I moved couch to driverside .I thought I read on here that you could install a fantasic fan using stock vent. Has anyone done this ? Hey ski, that guy you e-mailed for me never did call. Thanks anyway. Mitch

Hi Mitch,
Congrats on the Grandby. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Apparantly the mods have already begun. Any particular reason you prefer the couch on the driver's side? Anyway, I replaced my stock roof vent with a fantastic fan. I installed the one with more speeds and a remote. In hindsight I'd probably just go with the three speed manual one.
The swap is pretty straight forward and easy. You will see the pre-run wires when you remove the vent. At first mine ran backwards but I had the black and white wires wrong. Silly me, I did black to black and white to white. Apparently they were reversed in the camper. I've heard others mention 4WC installs their black and white wires backwards. So test your wiring before buttoning it up.

Quick and easy switch to do. Hardest part is cleaning the goop off the roof. Found the wires in my 2002 Hawk when I go the vent out. I used the same bottom so I did not have to cut the one that came with the fan. I have the 3 speed reversible works great.

Thanks for the replys. Ted we had a hawk with couch on driver siide and like the light and the open window. You can put a lot of stuff behind the couch. Put shocks on camper today, now I need to order fan and mount for engle. I guess I'll do that when I get back from a short camp out in tenn. this weekend.

Unless I'm missing something, I'm not sure why any goop would have to be cleaned off the roof if one uses the existing (stock) vent housing. You just buy the fan from the supplier and simply wire it up from the inside. At least that's all mine needed (a 2011 Grandby installation). Let us all know if you encounter any problems so we can weigh in.

The issue I've seen with my upcoming fan install is that the crank mechanism that attaches to the vent is tack welded on the sides. I guess you could cut that weld and use the existing frame if everything fits right into that but I'm not sure if it will or not.

Finely got the fan installed. Used old housing,took parts off new one,everything fit. Ted you were right, black to white. Mounted the wave 3 on the side of cabniet where the couch was. Cut door into, going to seal and vent bottom area for propain tank. Love to piddle. try to put pics on here sometime.

Back
Top Bottom