Fantastic Fan ice AC

I think if boondocking getting ice might be problematic. For those of us in dry climates an evaporative cooler would work well.

This guy,
, has a nice video, but the problem with his design is that if you sit this in your camper, the humidity of the camper will rise and the cooling effect will drop.

This Burning Man design would work better, I believe, where the bucket sat in the truck cab and the cool air hose poked into the camper via the sliding window (with a bit of a baffle.) https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=33842

Making one of these is on my bucket list - ouch, sorry. If I get around to it I'll certainly post here.

Nice, now how could we flip the concept and use the installed fantastic fan?

Bosque Bill mentioned using the installed fan w/ a passive swamp cooler in this thread:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/7376-evap-cooler-in-a-bucket/

I tried it out at the end of last Summer in my Alaskan 8' NCO w/ MaxxAir on roof. I made a box type swamp cooler that velcros onto what used to be the side vent for the fridge. Design 1 did not work well, as I think my Alaskan is too drafty. Design 2 was to add another fan inside the swamp cooler box (Fantastic Endless Breeze) to generate some positive or at least neutral pressure inside the camper. That was a huge improvement but there were still dead spots in the camper. Design 3 was to velcro a reflectix scoop onto the output vent of the swamp cooler box so the air flow is not a beeline to the roof vent. This last design was great. I was out in 100* weather, in full sun on a concrete slab and I was getting the theoretical ~30* cooling (at 5-10% humidity outside). There were no obvious hot spots in the small camper. This was with both fans on low setting and reflectix on all the windows. I cannot remember what the total draw was on the battery, but I remember it being reasonable.

I've never messed with swamp coolers before. The performance was impressive to me.

Back
Top Bottom