Fantastic Fan info nugget

takesiteasy

Many of you probably already know this but I didn't so I thought I would post about my experience.

On our recent trip to the Rockies our forward fantastic fan stopped working (we have two). The cover would raise but the fan would not go on. I tried checking all the fuses and the switches to no avail. It was a puzzle because the fan obviously had power to raise the lid but the fan didn't work. I decided to wait to dig into it until we got home.

Today I did a Google search and, no surprise, got some helpful information. It turns out there is a plunger switch under the dome that controls the fan. The fan won't run until the lid raises and allows the plunger to pop up and start the fan. I read online that 90% of the time the fan doesn't run is due to this switch not working.

There are a variety of issues that could be associated- loose wire, corrosion, or in my case, just needed to plunge the switch a few times and it works fine now. You have to get up on the roof with the dome raised to find the switch and play with it. It is held in place by a 7/16" nut.

FYI, hope someone finds this info useful.

Another cause of the fan not working is the rocker switch for in vs. out air flow. It can stop in the middle position where the fan doesn't work at all. I discovered this after replacing the fuse when the fan failed. One of us had moved the switch to the center position.

Paul

Sorry post jack :( has anyone removed the screen(s) from the inside of the Fantastic Fan? Looks like it may pop off but if correct mine is certainly hard and I don't want to break .

XJINTX said:
Sorry post jack :( has anyone removed the screen(s) from the inside of the Fantastic Fan? Looks like it may pop off but if correct mine is certainly hard and I don't want to break .
I had the same concerns but I pulled gently and steadily straight down and it came off without a problem. There are plastic tabs/catches every few inches around the perimeter that snap over a ridge. I'm sure they do break on occasion. I moved my fingers around and pulled down at each catch as I went. It becomes easier as each catch point lets loose. The screen went back in without a problem. I have heard that Fantastic Fan will give you a new screen if it breaks while taking it out. Not sure if that is true. I suppose you could confirm that with them beforehand if you want. Good luck.

I've removed my sreens for cleaning and it seems like total destruction is happening due to noise and force required but it works as described above.

Until I got the nerve to go ahead, I found that on a vent with a fan, I could turn the fan on high out direction with lid open wide, I could tap the screen under some debris and it would usually bounce high enough to be hit by the fan and get blown out of the screen area. It may take a time or two flipping the screen. Sometimes, it works on a vent without a fan.

Paul

The spring in the plunger will eventually fail in corrosive climates.. This is where I am after freeing it up a few times over the years..have not torn into it yet to try and fix/ replace spring.

Rear vent/fan is fine, never had a problem. More use keeps it going I guess.

TT

Back
Top Bottom