Fantastic Fan Lid Replacement

Alpine

The lifting linkage attachment tabs broke on my Fantastic Fan vent lid and I was able to secure it in the down position by drilling holes in what was left of the tabs and using some zip ties to hold the lid tight to the fan frame. It’s been working but I’d like to install the replacement lid that finally arrived. It looks like there is some kind of sealant between the hinge and plastic fan frame. I figure that a putty knife with some light tapping should free it up but I don’t want to break anything in the process. I’m leaving on a trip soon and don’t want any major roof problems right now. It seems like a pretty simple task and I’m hoping that someone who has done it can give some guidance. Thanks!

Thanks Vic. I saw this Video but it doesn’t show how the old lid hinge was removed. I could envision using some gentle heat gun action to help soften the old sealant. I just don’t want to create any leakage problems when I remove the thing and I may end up leaving it as is till warmer weather arrives.

If you already have the replacement, disregard. But if not, consider a MaxxFan instead. It should fit in the same 14x14 hole and once the base is sealed in, it’s just 4 screws to replace the actual fan.

I had to replace my lid recently. There are seven (exposed) holes in the hinge. the 4 small holes have #2 Philips head screws. Once removed, gently pry on the outside edge of the hinge. Once the hinge is free, the video from E-trailer (in Vic's post above) should be followed to correctly attach the arm to the lid. Close the lid, Any sealant left around the holes preventing the new hinge from laying flat should be removed. I then put sealant in the 4 screw holes before reinstalling the screws, then applied some sealant to the 3 larger holes (where some older sealant had broken away while freeing up the hinge. It took the local Dometic dealer more than 2 months to get a replacement lid for my fan (apparently shipped from Sweden to US, then to Canada (flat lid, part k4020-81).

Good luck with your install!

Thanks so much for your advice on the removal! I figured it would take some gentle coaxing to loosen the old hinge due to the sealant. I’ll give it a try when I get a warmer day.My replacement lid took a couple of months to show up and it was free from Dometic. I ordered a spare at my expense in case it happens again,

I recently replaced my lid and there are two styles, one being flat and one being more dome shape. I found that they are not interchangeable. Be sure and order the correct dome.

Yes, the flat lid seems much harder to find and Dometic is the only place that I could get it. Several week/month delivery.

Back
Top Bottom