Fantastic fan location?

I have both. The bed one is great for hot nights and the other is great for venting the stove and extra cooling. When it's hot I usually have one intake and the other exhaust.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Wander The West mobile app

The Fantastic Fan is reversible, and it is so quiet you won't know it's on. The fan has two speeds. It is very powerful. Many folks like the fan over the bed for sleeping in hot weather. I opted to place it in the rear because I spend more time out of bed than in it. Fans in both front and rear is also an option. I chose a single fan because I wanted as few holes in the one piece aluminum roof as possible.

the fan will run as intake and exhaust, i preferred the standard placement over the galley area to avoid leaks over the sleeping area on the one piece roof- nothing but the fan and solar connector on the roof here. mine fan's new and quiet now. i also updated the dome to the 2 piece smoked version and upgraded to the auto thermostat model with rain sensor- still waiting to test that feature ...

I've got the 12 speed Fantastic Fan with remote control.
Over the kitchen to exhaust cooking odors, it is reversible.
It's quiet at the slowest 4 speeds and gets louder as it increases in speed.
Rain sensor works great.
Forward vent is not powered, with a metal top (makes the bed area dark when closed), instead of the plastic see-thru smoke colored top.
On hot nights when the kitchen fan is drawing out, the open forward vent is drawing outside air inside to cool us off.
Don't forget to lower the vent cover all the way down when driving, I've seen a few go flying off the top when left up.

Mines a three speed but you can buy or modify them to a variable speed also. Its quiet on low.

When I built my Hawk in 2012, I put a fantastic fan over the kitchen area and a fantastic "vent" over the bed area. A fan over the kitchen just makes sense if you do any cooking inside. A vent or fan over the bed in a hot climate makes good sense to me as well...also gives you a skylight, even though its a small one. You have the option to upgrade to a fan at a later date should you choose to. At the time, I wasn't sure about having a fan over the bed. Within a year of camping in my Hawk, I decided to replace the vent with a fan. The wires were already there (thanks FWC) and the install was easy, even for me. My fantastic fans (there are 3 models I think) have 3 speeds, a switch for intake or exhaust and they are a nice option. Low speed is fairly quiet, but on speed 2 and 3 and you will know the fan is on. The noise is worth the benefits of having good air flow.

So, my 2cents, get a fantastic fan over the kitchen. If unsure about the bed area, at least get a vent put in (easier now than later) and be sure it's pre-wired for a fan.

Happy trails...

I have both in my Fleet. The one above the bed is a multi-speed (12 or 14). The lowest speeds are very quiet and great for a gentle air movement while sleeping. I would recommend one of these above the bed because the standard 3-speed model is noisier and moves a lot of air, even on the slow speed. The one above the sink is the standard 3-speed model, good for general ventilation while hanging out inside the camper. All the Fantastic fans can blow in or out. Water will come in if left open during a rain. Especially bad over the bed! The multi-speed models have a rain sensor which will supposedly close the lid if rain is detected, but I haven't had the guts to try it. I'm sure it works to some degree, but I don't know if I would trust it to keep my bed dry during a fast shower while I'm off hiking.

There is another brand which can be left open in rain and believe I remember that they fit the same size openings as the Fantastic. Try MaxxAir.com. And a review at http://rvroadtrip.us/reviews/maxxfan.php.

- Bernard

Those are the two reasons I went with MaxxFan. Open in rain and ceiling fan mode. It fits in the standard opening.

The MaxxFan cover sits ~2" higher than the standard vent cover and extends ~5" further to the rear (to accomadate the louvers that keep the rain out). Current draw and noise levels are the same.

jim

Hawk ordered with fan above bed but ended up putting another fan above kitchen. Easier to access fan when pulling vacuum while lowering top.

Back
Top Bottom