Fantastic Fan retrofit

remithoren

Advanced Member
Just replaced the vent with automatic fantastic fan.
Was an easy install (prewired) and fit perfectly.
Longest time spent cleaning out old caulking.
That and the folding step install on my resume for a job at FWC,
Too much free time for this cameraguy.

Attachments

• FANFAN.jpg
    FANFAN.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 1,020
  • FANFAN-(1).jpg
    FANFAN-(1).jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 998
Nice!

I might do the same one of these days. Are there a variety of fantastic fan models or is there 1 (I'd hate to order the wrong one)? What particular sealant did you use? How do I know if my FWC is prewired (03 Grandby)? Thanks for the post.

looks great, i would like to get one of those eventually. thanks for posting!

AK,

Fantastic Fan does make a number different models. The basic one that FWC uses is reversible and is likely the best for our use but you can get a very fancy remote controlled model that seem more appropriate in an RV. No matter which model you choose it is a great addition to the camper.

I've been think about a fan also

I've looked a little on the internet for fans, and am glad to read a recommendation from people on this board - that goes a long way toward making up my mind.

Fantastical fans are all upgradable; you can add any of the options at a later date. Their customer support is excellent!! That said, many RVers are also happy with MaxxAir fans (I have an FF myself, and have never tried the other).

Both move a lot of air for not much battery drain.

There is one basic difference in the FFs in the beginning; they come in high and low profiles (how much they stick up inside vs outside) for RV roof thickness, so one might want to consult with their customer support. Places like Camping World stock the ones for thick-roof RVs. Not sure where the cutoff is between thick and thin :D

I found I left mine open occasionally, and if it rained, the plastic knob would fill with water which would run down my arm when I turned it :eek: Fix for that was to drill four drain holes in the knob.

The FF (basic) was the first and best mod I did to my camper. It's nice being able to lay next to a window and get a cool breeze in your face :D

The only problem I have had which is user error is pressing the fwd/rev switch with the fan on and blowing out the 4 amp fuse. Had to stuff some foil in there as I didn't have any extra fuses on board. :rolleyes:

wiring was already in the roof and I used clear silicon II by GE.

I've got the basic Fantastic Fan and the extra vent in my roof. I've been thinking of switching them both out for Maxxfans, mainly for the weather protection. The Maxxfan is more expensive but if you add up the cost of a new Fantastic Fan and a weather cover it comes out to about the same. There's a guy on Ebay selling them for just over $218 with free shipping.

Just a thought!

vents

Just a note to add that the hole is a standard RV vent hole of 14" x 14".

Installation notes

Site where I found fantastic fan,
http://members.aol.com/fantasticvent/
bought the auto reversible fan.

I used clear silicone seal from Alex Plus 35 yr. Flexible. from Home Depot.
Easy to use.

Now I have extra vent (the std that came with Hawk) what to do with it?

look at the shur-flo fans. i have two.....they are cool...really!
they auto-close as they have a rain sensor.

Hello AK Nomad

Yes, your camper should be pre-wired for the fan.

They have been pre-wiring for years and years.

If you take the vent beauty ring off, on the inside of the camper, you should see 2 wires tucked in there (hot & ground)

Feel free to call our service dept. any time if you need advice on what part to order.

Chicali will be able to tell you the correct model.

The Fantastic Vent Fans are really nice - well made - simple & reliable.

Take care

extra vent

Unless you already have two vents in the roof, you could always mount the extra one in the other spot that should be there for a vent.

I only have one vent and I would like to install a Fantastic Fan above the bed.I have a 2003 Eagle.Am I right in assuming that when you install a second vent as an option there is a standard location?If so could you tell me the measurements of that location?And the last question,is that spot also prewired?

eagle extra vent

You will have to ask Stan about that one. I know that we didn't offer a second vent in the Eagles when I was at FWC. It would have been in the way of the folding panel in those days. We have changed our Bobcat model so that it will take a second vent in the front. They may have changed it though since then. You should be able to reach Stan at 800-242-1442

Hello LAWNMOWERMAN

Unfortunatly, no extra roof vent is available on the Eagle Model.

The roof will not be framed for a second roof vent.

Like Ben mentioned, it would interfere with the front folding lift panels, even on the newer models.

So if you want the fan, you would just have to switch it out with the standard vent you might already have.

Hope this helps ...

Thanks guys for your quick response.I didn't really want to cut a hole in my roof anyway.I am going to install a Fantastic Fan in place of the existing roof vent.Camping World has them for $159.00.Does that sound like a good price?

fantastic fan

Considering the price that we sell them for, that is a great price.

RV PARTS OUTLET "Everyday Low Prices at Presidential Levels With No Membership Fees!"

FANTASTIC 5000RBT Vent w/Thermostat for $151.50. :D :D

(The FANTASTIC 4000R Vent (used by FWC and ATC?) is only $124.95)

Also, "Shipping charges are based upon the weight or size of the items you order." (not $14 each like CW)

Mike

Thanks guys for your quick response.I didn't really want to cut a hole in my roof anyway.I am going to install a Fantastic Fan in place of the existing roof vent.Camping World has them for $159.00.Does that sound like a good price?

Good plan. That's what I did. you can still get moving air on you by opening the window close to you. Works for me.

Back
Top Bottom